Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 178 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I would like to see mcgregor move to the epl.  Surprised he hasn’t had a move to Leicester if Rodgers rates him.

McGregor would easy hold his own down there. Still way to many folk, on here especially, think our game and players are utter shite and the English leagues are outstanding, what with players earning a gazillion ££ a day etc.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. There is some utter fucking garbage down there and being paid several million a year doesn’t change that. On the other hand, we have some excellent players up here that could easy play at a higher level, if they wanted to. 

11 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Didn't see the game, how'd he do? 

On the OneFootball app he was the 18th best player. It's extraordinary that we have a player playing against Real Madrid and the like and we only pick him as we're really struggling for strikers (which isn't even his best position).

Was a mixed night for him. Played the full 90. Got off to a shaky start when he was deployed on the right hand side of midfield. Madrid identified his unwillingness to track back and Mendy and Rodrygo were on the rampage early. Manager switched him over to the left flank after about 25mins and he had a much better time of it there. He was tracking back more diligently (I guess the manager had a word with him about his defensive duties). Towards HT he produced a great run and seriously tested Courtois with a shot on targert. Once Madrid made it 2-0 after 50mins I went to bed as I had a very early start for work this morning so not sure if he produced any notable moments in the 2nd half.

Commentators were saying Burke has mainly been used as a sub there this season but this was the first match under a new manager so it was good to see him getting a start. On 3 La Liga games left though then I guess his loan will expire and it will be back to West Brom. 

9 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Was a mixed night for him. Played the full 90. Got off to a shaky start when he was deployed on the right hand side of midfield. Madrid identified his unwillingness to track back and Mendy and Rodrygo were on the rampage early. Manager switched him over to the left flank after about 25mins and he had a much better time of it there. He was tracking back more diligently (I guess the manager had a word with him about his defensive duties). Towards HT he produced a great run and seriously tested Courtois with a shot on targert. Once Madrid made it 2-0 after 50mins I went to bed as I had a very early start for work this morning so not sure if he produced any notable moments in the 2nd half.

Commentators were saying Burke has mainly been used as a sub there this season but this was the first match under a new manager so it was good to see him getting a start. On 3 La Liga games left though then I guess his loan will expire and it will be back to West Brom. 

Any time I have watched him for alaves he's not really seen much of the ball. He was just chasing and closing down players and didn't get a chance to really make a big impact on the game. He's 23 now and it's clear he's not going to make it at top European club. Good chance he's not going to play at even an average team in a top league. He will probably settle at english championship level or maybe lower epl if he's lucky. His athletic prowess will pretty much be the reason for this imo, otherwise he would be in the lower leagues of England. 

I reckon wba would bite the hand of an 7/8m offer for burke which I reckon might happen at the end of this season. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I would like to see mcgregor move to the epl.  Surprised he hasn’t had a move to Leicester if Rodgers rates him.

I know domestic football talk is a no-no but you can't help but wonder what will happen to Celtic at the end of this season. There may be a few hanging on for the 10 in a row and then you wonder what Forrest, McGregor and Christie will do. Can't imagine them moving this summer.

59 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Any time I have watched him for alaves he's not really seen much of the ball. He was just chasing and closing down players and didn't get a chance to really make a big impact on the game. He's 23 now and it's clear he's not going to make it at top European club. Good chance he's not going to play at even an average team in a top league. He will probably settle at english championship level or maybe lower epl if he's lucky. His athletic prowess will pretty much be the reason for this imo, otherwise he would be in the lower leagues of England. 

I reckon wba would bite the hand of an 7/8m offer for burke which I reckon might happen at the end of this season. 

Strange to be writing off a 23 year old. If he was playing in the SPFL he’d probably be getting touted for bigger things. I don’t think he’s going to be an out and out superstar but he could still be a good Scotland player playing in a high standard league. 

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Strange to be writing off a 23 year old. If he was playing in the SPFL he’d probably be getting touted for bigger things. I don’t think he’s going to be an out and out superstar but he could still be a good Scotland player playing in a high standard league. 

Would he? He already did play spfl and was pretty average at best, celtic fans think he's garbage and didn't want to bid for him. There isn't any 23 year old spfl players touted for big things. Infact there isn't any spfl young players in general touted for big things. Tierney was the only one before he left for arsenal. 

As I said he will probably play championship or even at a lower epl club which will probably mean he gets in our squads and he can still play an important role for us but let's not kid ourselves that he's going to be a big star. 

Edited by mccaughey85

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Would he? He already did play spfl and was pretty average at best, celtic fans think he's garbage and didn't want to bid for him. There isn't any 23 year old spfl players touted for big things. Infact there isn't any spfl young players in general touted for big things. Tierney was the only one before he left for arsenal. 

As I said he will probably play championship or even at a lower epl club which will probably mean he gets in our squads and he can still play an important role for us but let's not kid ourselves that he's going to be a big star. 

What about David Turnbull, and Aaron Hickey, and Mikey Johnston, and Ryan Porteous, and Kirk Broadfoot?

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Good move for him, Reims are a mid table club who I think played in europe the other year. Did he score many in Belgium?

I think he scored 4 in about 10 starts? Hopefully he sees more game time in Ligue 1 this coming season.