Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 174 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

On 7/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, Burj_Alba said:

Got to say I like the big man. The second Sheffield goal sums him up. Three or four terrible touches then a superb ball out to the the left back. Then charges into the box just beaten by the goalscorer. Hope he can do this at Hampden or Oslo or Belgrade.

So, four shite touches out of five then  fails to get on the end of the cross  ? I absolutley hope he does nothing of the sort at Hampden. 😂

On 7/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, Burj_Alba said:

Got to say I like the big man. The second Sheffield goal sums him up. Three or four terrible touches then a superb ball out to the the left back. Then charges into the box just beaten by the goalscorer. Hope he can do this at Hampden or Oslo or Belgrade.

I agree, there’s definitely something there. I only caught the highlights from Sunday’s game but he set up a chance with a great run, was unlucky with his chance but did lose his man for the goal they conceded. 

Also, Tom MacIntyre starting again for Reading tonight. Obviously Reading are pants, but it's still positive to see a 21-year-old Scottish CB starting for a Championship side given our current struggles with that position. Good luck to him!

Edited by mrniaboc

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No worries. He has run it off. Looks a bit out of place in that position to me.

He’s made more passes than anyone else on the park (including more than the entire palace midfield combined) and 92% accuracy. He’s doing exactly the job he’s there to do.

12 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

He’s made more passes than anyone else on the park (including more than the entire palace midfield combined) and 92% accuracy. He’s doing exactly the job he’s there to do.

Yeah he's looking good, for me

10 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

He plays very deep for Chelsea so he can't really take risks, so what he does is not very exciting to the casual observer. His job is just playing simple passes and providing a backward pass option for the more forward players. Its a shame because I think he's got alot more in his locker but at least he's getting game time and experience. 

13 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

As there are so many games coming in quick succession and they've increased the number of subs. Lampard's been rotating the squad pretty heavily.  That's undoubtedly benefiting Gilmour as he's getting more minutes than he would probably have been getting had the season finished normally - not to mention he'd picked up an injury just before the suspension.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Also, Tom MacIntyre starting again for Reading tonight. Obviously Reading are pants, but it's still positive to see a 21-year-old Scottish CB starting for a Championship side given our current struggles with that position. Good luck to him!

I think this kid could well go on to do a job for us at centre back, problem is right now he's not playing for a very sexy club, so not really getting attention.

What he will have to his advantage is that Clarke as a former Reading manager will be well aware of him, I suspect he might have been in the youth system when Clarke was there, and as he lives locally, it's easy enough for him to see him. 

Edited by aaid

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I think this kid could well go on to do a job for us at centre back, problem is right now he's not playing for a very sexy club, so not really getting attention.

Yeh but he might not get the chances he's getting at a bigger club pushing for promotion. At 21 he needs to get experience even if it's for a struggling side. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh but he might not get the chances he's getting at a bigger club pushing for promotion. At 21 he needs to get experience even if it's for a struggling side. 

Obviously :wacko:

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Obviously :wacko:

The impression you gave from your post was that it's a problem(your words) he's not playing at a very sexy club. Hes only getting a chance at reading because they are not a particularly very good team looking for promotion. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The impression you gave from your post was that it's a problem(your words) he's not playing at a very sexy club. Hes only getting a chance at reading because they are not a particularly very good team looking for promotion. 

No, its a problem from the point of view of him getting a call up to the full squad.   He'll be on the radar but there won't be the same amount of clamouring that there would be if he were playing at a different club in the same division.

Gilmour and Tierney starting for top half epl teams, positive news. We now have  5 players who play regularly for top half epl teams. The days of us claiming we don't have the players when other small countries achieve alot more with alot less should start to be considered as rubbish. And before anyone jumps in with we don't have quality centre backs or right backs just look at most countries our size and you will see that they rely on English championship players just like we do. We can't expect to start a team all from the epl but if 8/9 of the team are epl/old firm players then we should be looking to qualify for the euros at least. 

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

No, its a problem from the point of view of him getting a call up to the full squad.   He'll be on the radar but there won't be the same amount of clamouring that there would be if he were playing at a different club in the same division.

I think if he plays every week for Reading next season at the age of 21 there will be pretty big calls for him to be in our squads. We don't have young centre backs playing at English championship level unless you still consider souttar and mckenna as young and you consider the spl similar to the English championship. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think if he plays every week for Reading next season at the age of 21 there will be pretty big calls for him to be in our squads. We don't have young centre backs playing at English championship level unless you still consider souttar and mckenna as young and you consider the spl similar to the English championship. 

He's younger than both Souttar and McKenna and personally I think he's probably better now than Souttar, with certainly more potential and it remains to be seen what division he will be playing in next season.  He's been a bit unlucky with injuries which have held him back quite a bit but its good to see him featuring in the latter part of the season.  Hopefully he'll kick on next year.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

He's younger than both Souttar and McKenna and personally I think he's probably better now than Souttar, with certainly more potential and it remains to be seen what division he will be playing in next season.  He's been a bit unlucky with injuries which have held him back quite a bit but its good to see him featuring in the latter part of the season.  Hopefully he'll kick on next year.

Tbf I haven't watched him so I can't really judge how good he is. Did you watch McIntyre tonight and how did he do? I quite like souttar but hes made of glass and I would of thought he would of been playing a higher level by now. Mckennas decent but I don't know whether he is quite good enough for international football. Its very positive that McIntyre is playing English championship at 21, lots of epl centre backs spent their early 20s in the English championship before jumping up to the epl. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf I haven't watched him so I can't really judge how good he is. Did you watch McIntyre tonight and how did he do? I quite like souttar but hes made of glass and I would of thought he would of been playing a higher level by now. Mckennas decent but I don't know whether he is quite good enough for international football. Its very positive that McIntyre is playing English championship at 21, lots of epl centre backs spent their early 20s in the English championship before jumping up to the epl. 

No, but I first saw him play when he was 17 for Reading U20s in a pre-season friendly and was very impressed.  At that time, Reading had about 4 players in the Scotland system, he was the youngest and was the standout.  I've been following his progress since.   If he develops into a competent Championship level centre back then he'll be better than anything we currently have.