Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 111 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

46 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Been looking at the QPR forum and QPR's stats.

Kelly and Lumley haven't been the problem at QPR more that the defence is rank rotten.

Good to see Marshall is getting into some sort of form but would say that Kelly should start getting introduced to the set up sooner rather than later

I said this about Kelly when he came back from injury and someone on here said I was talking rubbish ha.
Definitely think he's our best goalkeeping prospect at the minute and looks to be continually improving. 

12 minutes ago, csinclair said:

I said this about Kelly when he came back from injury and someone on here said I was talking rubbish ha.
Definitely think he's our best goalkeeping prospect at the minute and looks to be continually improving. 

Kelly has good potential, still relatively young at 23 and should get plenty of game time at qpr if he plays well. He's probably our future no.1 unless some massive star emerges in the next few years. 

9 hours ago, csinclair said:

Kelly and McCrorie are excellent prospects and to be honest should both be in the upcoming squads.

42 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Fuck prospects. We need to focus on the here and now - until such time as Euro 2020 is dead and buried. 

Totally agree. The time for developing and experimenting is certainly not now.

We should be including guys that are ready to play in a tournament. Experience will be absolutely vital. Sadly, a lot of our experienced players have made themselves unavailable.

In my opinion, I'd happily reopen the door to any retired players, if they are willing to come back. I know that isn't the opinion of a large section of the fans, though.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Totally agree. The time for developing and experimenting is certainly not now.

We should be including guys that are ready to play in a tournament. Experience will be absolutely vital. Sadly, a lot of our experienced players have made themselves unavailable.

In my opinion, I'd happily reopen the door to any retired players, if they are willing to come back. I know that isn't the opinion of a large section of the fans, though.

Not sure how you define experience but the only player I can think of is Scott Brown unless being over 30  and playing for a bottom half EPL teams counts. Not sure if any of the players you are thinking of have won anything between them and none of them have played for a top team.

,Not sure but I doubt if any of them have even played in any European club competition.

The only thing  they are experienced at internationally is failure.

The lack of experimenting and development  has been a problem since the late 90's and is part and parcel of were we are today.

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure how you define experience but the only player I can think of is Scott Brown unless being over 30  and playing for a bottom half EPL teams counts. Not sure if any of the players you are thinking of have won anything between them and none of them have played for a top team.

,Not sure but I doubt if any of them have even played in any European club competition.

The lack of experimenting and development  has been a problem since the late 90's and is part and parcel of were we are today.

McGregor would get in the team still.

Snodgrass and McArthur would likely make the squad. Ritchie wouldn't be too far away either.  

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Scott Brown, Allan McGregor, Robert Snodgrass and Steven Fletcher, would all be in the final 23 based on form alone. With the added bonus that they all have experience with the pressures of performing in top leagues and Europe. 

Yes, they aren't the future, but we need to look at the very immediate present. Who is ready, not later, but now. After the summer, we can tear the squad apart as much as we like. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:37 PM, PASTA Mick said:

There is very little between Hanley, McKenna, Porteous, Findlay and a few others.

My argument would be that Hanley got most of his caps when he was much younger and he has played at a higher level than all the other options. 

I've said it before but Hanley gets a hard time, he had some good games in his partnership with Russel. He is playing at a good level and playing more or less every week again so he is worth a shout for me, maybe alongside Findlay who i think will move on to bigger and better from Killie.

Mcburnie gets a hard time too, he has played in tough games and not had much of  chance.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Looks like I might be proven right @aaid!

He'll probably still go out on loan next season - which might be no bad thing if he plays every week - but it's a real step up for him.  

Basically they think there's no point in him being in the U23s any more which can only be a positive.

On 10 February 2020 at 7:49 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Berti Vogts did nothing other than experiment and since then plenty of players have been tried out and plenty have failed.   The problem is that generally they haven't been good enough.  I honestly can't think of any players that have been overlooked that we've missed out on and who would gave made our team materially better.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, PASTA Mick said:

McGregor would get in the team still.

Snodgrass and McArthur would likely make the squad. Ritchie wouldn't be too far away either.  

Forgot about McGregor but he had plenty top class European experience first time round and is doing ok this time as well.

As for the others It would be depressing if that was all we could muster. Two players who were good five years ago and one who never wanted to play for us even when he played for us.

3 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Howler from David Marshall tonight. 

Starting at a big disadvantage if he’s our number 1 in the play offs. 

McGregor made a bad mistake against Hamilton the other day but most folk would have him back. 

All keepers make mistakes. Doesn’t mean Marshall will make any against Israel. 

17 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Hope you’re right!

Depends if the Wigan manager has faith too. Don’t think we could play him after a month out. 

I doubt he’ll get dropped after one mistake.

If he’s making lots of mistakes like that and does get dropped then would we want him starting against Israel anyway?