Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 106 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Anyone else have the feeling that Fraser will chuck international football early ? 

Really don't think he's at all interested.

A massive amount is riding on whether we qualify for the euros or not. 

Sitting out of a tournament, which we are hosting, will mean angry or apathetic fans and uninterested (unpopular) players - for years to come. 

Qualify and avoid humiliation then maybe you can build some positive momentum with the players and fans.

Edited by Morrisandmoo

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

EPL teams don't tend to buy too many players from the lower leagues.  Promotion is often the best way for a player to get their chance at a higher league.  Even Robertson had a season in the Championship with Hull.  McGinn won promotion with Villa, McLean and Hanley with Norwich.  Fraser started in League 1 with Bournemouth.   

I'm not sure I get the Devlin example.  He hardly played for Birmingham in the season they got promoted but played almost every match in the EPL.  Also, you'd expect a winger to be more effective in a winning team at a lower level than mid-table team at a higher level.  

I'm only going by what he said to me.   His view was that he'd been playing a lot better for Birmingham City and Sheffield United the season before he was called up than he was when he got his first call up in October 2002 and he said that the difference was that he was playing for an EPL rather than Championship team.    

He was talking about his own personal form, not anything to do with playing for a team towards the top of the championship versus one towards the bottom of the premiership.

Edited by aaid

3 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Sitting out of a tournament, which we are hosting, will mean angry or apathetic fans and uninterested (unpopular) players - for years to come. 

I think that boat has already sailed, look at the home crowds since Strachan failed in his last qualifiers. 

As soon as we failed that time, there was a very obviously, collective realisation on this board of where we were in the football world.

One thing I think that hit home was realising how tough it was going to be for Scottish 'wonderkids' to make it. After years on here, getting excited over the likes of Gauld, Ferus and Harper. There now seems to be a more reserved judgement, even with the likes of Scottish kids going abroad now.

Even though I can't make many games due to living down south and work, is always look forward to the week leading up to games, used to watch the u21s and even terrible friendlies. I now find it hard to muster up any excitement for the qualifiers!

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

33 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think that boat has already sailed, look at the home crowds since Strachan failed in his last qualifiers. 

As soon as we failed that time, there was a very obviously, collective realisation on this board of where we were in the football world.

One thing I think that hit home was realising how tough it was going to be for Scottish 'wonderkids' to make it. After years on here, getting excited over the likes of Gauld, Ferus and Harper. There now seems to be a more reserved judgement, even with the likes of Scottish kids going abroad now.

Even though I can't make many games due to living down south and work, is always look forward to the week leading up to games, used to watch the u21s and even terrible friendlies. I now find it hard to muster up any excitement for the qualifiers!

Its shite now, but it'll get shiter still if we don't qualify for a home tournament. And it will get better if we do. 

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Who gives a flying fuck?? 22 years. I'll be pished, singing, playing ma Bagpipes, enjoying the party.. Come on the Scotland....

Which is the exact care free attitude that got us no where at tournaments all those years ago and led to the apathy there is now. Roy Keane amongst others, quite rightly would tear strips off you for having that "we're only here for the party" mentality. 

24 minutes ago, JECK said:

Which is the exact care free attitude that got us no where at tournaments all those years ago and led to the apathy there is now. Roy Keane amongst others, quite rightly would tear strips off you for having that "we're only here for the party" mentality. 

Are you fuckin playin with a full deck of cards mate? I have been in pubs for the last 20 years getting slagged for not qualifying. I miss the kilt wearing, singing with other supporters, dancing I  the streets, supporting your country no matter what. WE QUALIFIED???  Who gives a flying fuck what roy Keane sais. He is a fucking idiot.  And by the way, we would not embarrass ourselves. We have a decent squad and the greatest supporters on earth. I support Celtic, but Scotland first, and Roy Keane can go and take a flying fuck to himself. ALBA GU BRATH

31 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I don't want us to qualify for a tournament, only for it to be a shite letdown. I want us there to compete.

Everyone wants that but you can be be damn sure I'll celebrate us getting their if we do.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Forrest has something like 17 goals and 18 assists this season.

He should be starting for Scotland IMO. I think folk overplay how bad he is when with us - far worse than him in terms of contribution in a dark jersey compared to club form. Our captain for starters.

The Scottish league is dire, hes in a team that dominates almost every game.

Playing for Scotland he is found out as he actually needs to work and we dont have the ball majority of the time. We can't afford passengers like him.

If he was as good as people sometimes think someone in england would have bought him donkeys ago, there has never even been any serious interest from clubs down south.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Playing for Scotland he is found out as he actually needs to work and we dont have the ball majority of the time. We can't afford passengers like him.

If he was as good as people sometimes think someone in england would have bought him donkeys ago, there has never even been any serious interest from clubs down south.

I think the point being made was that he has, in fact, done fine for Scotland. And better than most. 

That being said, he has just been fine, not great, and I get why some people might see him as a passenger at times.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Same sort of problem I have with Griffiths. His record in European latter stages games is 3 in 23, and a 4 in 19 record for Scotland is hardly any better than Naismiths 10 in 51

If you compare work rates between the two I'd sooner have Naismith.

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Same sort of problem I have with Griffiths. His record in European latter stages games is 3 in 23, and a 4 in 19 record for Scotland is hardly any better than Naismiths 10 in 51

If you look at Griffiths record for Scotland as 2 in 3 minutes and 2 in the other 18 appearances, its even less impressive.    Those two free kicks for pretty obvious reasons paint him in a better light than he otherwise deserves.

It's a pretty hard shift playing up front for Scotland but lets not kid ourselves he's any sort of goal machine that's straining to be unleashed.

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Wonder if we could play both against Israel? Griffiths and Naismith that is. As you say, Naismith’s workrate is different class. 
Griffiths record isn’t great but his 4 goals did come in his last 7 caps, probably not that significant for the playoffs since he’s not played recently for us. 

19 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Sad thing is, if we do qualify, I'd dread to think how we'd do in the tournament. 

Let's suppose we do beat Israel and then one of Norway and Serbia, we'd be on a run of 5 wins in a row.

We'd go into the competition with games against Croatia and Czech Rep at home, and England away.  I'd fancy us to win 1 of the 2 home matches - which should see us make the next round.

This squad has some quality - Robertson, Tierney, McTominay and Fraser are really good players.  McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor, Forrest, Fleck, Christie and a few other a good too.

If we do make it, I think we could do okay with home advantage.  I just think that Norway and Serbia away are both tougher matches than Czech Rep and Croatia at home. 

19 hours ago, JECK said:

I'd rather be there for the party than not there and watching folk party in front of my house.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd rather be there for the party than not there and watching folk party in front of my house.

Absolutely.

Glasgow will be terrific place to be in June, if we aren't involved then it will be sickening. Was bad enough at Euro 2016 when England, Wales and Ireland all qualified but this would be 10 x worse. 

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

Was reading earlier Villa are hoping Mcginn is going to be fit for the Carabao Cup final on March 1st . Hope so be good news for us 

What a massive boost that would be, even better if he is on the winning side

Griffiths on fire and MCginn back in the frame...............................................................................qualification is coming 😋

On 1/30/2020 at 6:04 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Who gives a flying fuck?? 22 years. I'll be pished, singing, playing ma Bagpipes, enjoying the party.. Come on the Scotland....

Is it no a wee bit difficult to swim with a set of bagpipes under one oxter? Do you not jist end up going round in circles?

23 hours ago, JECK said:

Although he is a self professed fantastic football player, I'm pretty sure that the man with "the hardest shot in Ottawa" isn't going to get a game. 

23 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Are you fuckin playin with a full deck of cards mate? I have been in pubs for the last 20 years getting slagged for not qualifying. I miss the kilt wearing, singing with other supporters, dancing I  the streets, supporting your country no matter what. WE QUALIFIED???  Who gives a flying fuck what roy Keane sais. He is a fucking idiot.  And by the way, we would not embarrass ourselves. We have a decent squad and the greatest supporters on earth. I support Celtic, but Scotland first, and Roy Keane can go and take a flying fuck to himself. ALBA GU BRATH

I’m fast falling in love with you Ramy. 😂👍