Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 228 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh we are very short on decent centre backs who play at a high level. That's not the case with midfield and the future looks like we will continue to be strong in midfield. If you include Gilmour and Turnbull then there's about 9 guys ahead of gauld for the next 4 years. There would have to be a alot of injuries and suspensions and Gauld would have to playing very well for us to need to play him. 

Gauld has been playing as part of a three-man attack for Farense.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And Considine is 33 and proved he could do a job for us.

Give him a cap when has over 400 league appearances'

Considine has played  more games in Europe than Gauld has out side of the second tier in Portugal.

Anyway we don't have central defenders we have loads of attacking players in midfield.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Give him a cap when has over 400 league appearances'

Considine has played  more games in Europe than Gauld has out side of the second tier in Portugal.

Anyway we don't have central defenders we have loads of attacking players in midfield.

Yes and Considine is 33 and Gauld not yet 25. Not sure what point you are trying to make there.

Also I hate to break it to you but we are in no position to be dismissing any players from consideration. I'm not saying get him called up just that every player should be assessed and considered and not just chucked on the scrap heap. There have been many Scotland internationals in the past who either start off in great form in early career and pick up plenty of caps then sink without trace in the second half of their career. The same as players who are late bloomers.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and Considine is 33 and Gauld not yet 25. Not sure what point you are trying to make there.

Also I hate to break it to you but we are in no position to be dismissing any players from consideration. I'm not saying get him called up just that every player should be assessed and considered and not just chucked on the scrap heap. There have been many Scotland internationals in the past who either start off in great form in early career and pick up plenty of caps then sink without trace in the second half of their career. The same as players who are late bloomers.

Yeh I don't think anyone is discarding him completely but the chances of him becoming a first team regular is pretty low. He's playing for a poor team near the bottom of the Portuguese top tier. He will have to really push on and perform well in the next two years to stand a chance of getting into the first team ahead of 9 or so guys who are currently ahead of him. Its not impossible for him as we have seen with John fleck but its still unlikely he becomes anything other than a peripheral squad member. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I don't think anyone is discarding him completely but the chances of him becoming a first team regular is pretty low. He's playing for a poor team near the bottom of the Portuguese top tier. He will have to really push on and perform well in the next two years to stand a chance of getting into the first team ahead of 9 or so guys who are currently ahead of him. Its not impossible for him as we have seen with John fleck but its still unlikely he becomes anything other than a peripheral squad member. 

And I have not said otherwise. I am merely pointing out we are in position to be disregarding anyone. Its very probable he won't make that breakthrough but it is still relevant to report his progress here.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Maybe return games against Peru and Mexico, still don't know why we went there.

That's simple - the SFA are idiots !

The decision to play top teams such as Belgium and Portugal in friendlies (in which we were demolished) was a stupid one too. 

In 2016 we also played a friendly double header against Italy and France. Lunacy. 

It's inevitable that we will play friendly matches again but they will be greatly less in number (maybe one every eighteen months ?) than we were used to previously.

We should also look for opponents who are not too easy but not too strong either. Forget about playing any European opponents, teams from Africa and South America would be preferable.

35 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's simple - the SFA are idiots !

We should also look for opponents who are not too easy but not too strong either. Forget about playing any European opponents, teams from Africa and South America would be preferable.

Jamaica are one place above us in the world rankings                 now if I was the SFA

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Jamaica are one place above us in the world rankings                 now if I was the SFA

Just had a wee look at the rankings there.

If it hadn't been for COVID I'd have tried to arrange a home friendly against Morocco (43) or Paraguay (40). It's always interesting to see Scotland play non-European opposition.

Mind you the Nation's League has proven to be a much better substitute for the usual round of friendly snore fests.

Edited by ErsatzThistle