Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 214 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Motherwell, Celtic and Aberdeen fielded 14 Scottish players.*

Celtic labour against a Latvian team, scoring in the final minute. Motherwell got crushed by an Israeli team and Aberdeen are losing to a Portuguese team completely ravaged by the pandemic.

And yet Steve Clarke is lambasted for being a terrible and clueless manager. If three of the best teams in Scotland lose to a team from Israel, labour against a team from Latvia and lose to a Portuguese reserve team, what chance has Clarke got?

*Scott Brown has retired.

Motherwell got crushed off nobody...until Declan Gallagher had a meltdown we were well in the game.

12 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Both teams pay constant homage to either side of Ireland.

If you think the Old Firm are Scottish, and their fans all fly the St Andrews, then you're wrong.

I really don't understand your point here.  Celtic and Rangers are Scottish Clubs in the same way Liverpool is an English club.  They are as Scottish as Aberdeen or Queen on of the South (we will take Berwick Rangers as an anomaly).  The fact that their supporters have allegiances to various parts of Ireland is irrelevant to the Scottish national football team.  

Oh, and I couldn't care less which leagues our players play in as long as they are the best player for the job.  I happen to think that most of them are playing in the EPL right now and have an advantage by being able to demonstrate that week in week out against better players.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I really don't understand your point here.  Celtic and Rangers are Scottish Clubs in the same way Liverpool is an English club.  They are as Scottish as Aberdeen or Queen on of the South (we will take Berwick Rangers as an anomaly).  The fact that their supporters have allegiances to various parts of Ireland is irrelevant to the Scottish national football team.  

Oh, and I couldn't care less which leagues our players play in as long as they are the best player for the job.  I happen to think that most of them are playing in the EPL right now and have an advantage by being able to demonstrate that week in week out against better players.

Wow... Ok. I'll leave the Aberdeen and the Queen of the South fans to take that on board.

Yes. Obviously And that's why our "EPL superstars" perpetually look lost against teams of the magnitude of Israel, Russia, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, etc.

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Wow... Ok. I'll leave the Aberdeen and the Queen of the South fans to take that on board.

Yes. Obviously And that's why our "EPL superstars" perpetually look lost against teams of the magnitude of Israel, Russia, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, etc.

I don't see why Aberdeen or Queen of the South fans would have an issue with that....  Celtic and Rangers are Scottish clubs... that's a matter of fact.  And also completely irrelevant.  

"EPL superstars" are your words not mine...   clearly they are not superstars with perhaps the exception of Andy Robertson who is probably in the top 5 in the world at his position.  Nobody is arguing that Scotiand is filled with superstars... they are journeymen when considered at international level.  The reality is we have some decent players, most of whom play in the EPL.  Personally, I think we are punching below our weight at the moment and have the potential to be a half decent but not spectacular international side.  But yes, we don't have the squads of yesteryear filled with top top flight players.  

Sorry, you lost all your credibility with me when you said that the under 18s would be able to step up and do better than the national team....

29 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I don't see why Aberdeen or Queen of the South fans would have an issue with that....  Celtic and Rangers are Scottish clubs... that's a matter of fact.  And also completely irrelevant.  

"EPL superstars" are your words not mine...   clearly they are not superstars with perhaps the exception of Andy Robertson who is probably in the top 5 in the world at his position.  Nobody is arguing that Scotiand is filled with superstars... they are journeymen when considered at international level.  The reality is we have some decent players, most of whom play in the EPL.  Personally, I think we are punching below our weight at the moment and have the potential to be a half decent but not spectacular international side.  But yes, we don't have the squads of yesteryear filled with top top flight players.  

Sorry, you lost all your credibility with me when you said that the under 18s would be able to step up and do better than the national team....

The players we have is on a par(roughly speaking) with most countries our size. There are a few exceptions like Uruguay and Croatia but most countries our size don't produce a full squad of players playing at top European clubs. This guy doesnt seem to understand this point. 

Whats important is we get the best out of this squad which should be performing better than it has. I am happy to give Clarke time but it's not looking particularly promising so far. The play off game against Israel is going to be a make or break.

We also seem to have some psychological issues which I think runs deeper than management. We always look like a frightened group of players afraid of losing. Hopefully this can change soon and some confidence can be instilled into the team. 

It's been a very good first half by McKenna. His distribution must be surprising the Forest fans, as they were expecting him to be a long ball merchant.

He even carried the ball into midfield a few times and started a couple of moves.

He's been dominant in the air.

I think he'll be a favorite with the fans. He won't have any problem adjusting to this level.

I would be surprised if he isn't in the EPL in a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's been a very good first half by McKenna. His distribution must be surprising the Forest fans, as they were expecting him to be a long ball merchant.

He even carried the ball into midfield a few times and started a couple of moves.

He's been dominant in the air.

I think he'll be a favorite with the fans. He won't have any problem adjusting to this level.

I would be surprised if he isn't in the EPL in a couple of years.

You saying positive things about Scottish players? Are you on the sauce?

7 minutes ago, todd said:

You saying positive things about Scottish players? Are you on the sauce?

Nah.

He deserved the praise.

And as I say that, he allows a Huddersfield player to drift off him to score the opener. I wouldn't blame McKenna, though. If it was zonal marker then it would be a midfielder to blame.

It was a good debut, barring a mistake in either half.

Twice he let the man he was marking drift off him. The first time it happened, Huddersfield scored, the second time the Forest keeper made two Peter Schmeichelesque saves.

On the ball he was good. In the air he won everything and he never lost a duel on the ground.

If he can cut out the lapses of concentration, he'll be a mainstay in the EPL.

I was impresses, especially since he only joined Forest a few days ago.

7 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It was a good debut, barring a mistake in either half.

Twice he let the man he was marking drift off him. The first time it happened, Huddersfield scored, the second time the Forest keeper made two Peter Schmeichelesque saves.

On the ball he was good. In the air he won everything and he never lost a duel on the ground.

If he can cut out the lapses of concentration, he'll be a mainstay in the EPL.

I was impresses, especially since he only joined Forest a few days ago.

Me plenty impresses 👍

1 hour ago, todd said:

Me plenty impresses 👍

Tartan Army Message Board

Or

Grammar Nazi Message Board

Seriously. I've never been on a posting board where typos were more ridiculed, in all my life. 

Is it because people can't pick holes in my opinions? Or because, no matter the time spent trying to usurp me, people fall flat on their faces, time, after time, after time. So much so that they've given up. Well, the majority have given up. The minority get all highlighter pen with the typoliciousness.

It's nice to be me. :)

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Scott McTominay on the Manchester United bench.

I'm astonished by that. After one of the worst United performances I've ever seen from two players (Lindelov and Pogba), they keep their places and they take out the only player who gave a damb.

Unbelievable.

It's all this three at the back crap for us. It has scrambled his brain and upset his equilibrium. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It's all this three at the back crap for us. It has scrambled his brain and upset his equilibrium. 

McTominay hasn't had one good performance after lockdown. He was playing really in February and March.

The Scotland matches were about six months after lockdown.