Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 208 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

32 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Classic OF operating procedure: sign troublesome diddy team player for buttons then leave him on your bench where he can't do you any damage.

He needs to earn his place in the team.  Remember, Celtic have won every trophy on offer in Scotland since 2016.  Its rare any player we buy walks into the team.  Barkas has but we did lose two 'keepers in the summer, and Duffy has but he's simply better than what we already had at the club, in arguably our weakest position.  Turnbull has a great chance to become a regular - just as Taylor, Brown and Christie have after joining from other SPFL clubs.  

Unless I'm mistaken, he have 6 players in the squad that joined from other teams in Scotland.  3 are the regulars I've mentioned, 1 is Turnbull, 1 is Griffiths, who has been a big part of our recent success, and the other is Bain, who has also had a chance to be our number 1.

There is no doubt we have bought players in the past that haven't made it, but the same can be said of any club.  Some players simply don't make the step up.  

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Classic OF operating procedure: sign troublesome diddy team player for buttons then leave him on your bench where he can't do you any damage.

I really hope that won't happen this time. He's too good for that, surely.

I wonder if Lennon is buying some players with next year in mind. After the 10 in a row business is done with some of those players, like Christie, might be off.

5 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I wonder if Lennon is buying some players with next year in mind. After the 10 in a row business is done with some of those players, like Christie, might be off.

I can see a lot of changes next season. 

6 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I hope not either. He did look a class act with Motherwell.  At the moment it looks like a bad move, going to a side already strong in numbers in his position, but it's still early days.  Time will tell if he turns out to be a Brown or a Riordan.

37 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I couldnt see Brown as a coach.

People said the same about Neil Lennon too.  :lol:

43 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I couldnt see Brown as a coach.

Me neither, but he needs to step aside for the younger guys to get a chance, hes not getting any better anyway. win 10 and stop would be sensible

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Another 2 minutes of viewing Nathan Patterson is enough to suggest he’ll be our right back within 12 months. He can receive and control the ball when running at pace. Hutton-like physique but more comfortable on the ball. Sorted. 

Yep. I said the same thing a couple weeks ago.

I was me with the obligatory "You'd call up a player who has x amount of first team football?! You're looking for attention/you've lost the plot/you're talking nonsense/you're pathetic", etc.

Patterson would be in my next squad, with more players from the youth teams.

Edited by Taylor1996

13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I was me with the obligatory "You'd call up a player who has x amount of first team football?! You're looking for attention/you've lost the plot/you're talking nonsense/you're pathetic", etc.

You claim every one is going to be great though, yet there is  thread for predictions about up and coming players and you won't post anything. Basically if any one makes to the top you will say I told you so.

And don't bother asking me to show you doing it I really can't be arsed.

Two names is all I ask.

59 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I’m sticking with 12 months. He’s accruing minutes most weeks and will get plenty more. 

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You claim every one is going to be great though, yet there is  thread for predictions about up and coming players and you won't post anything. Basically if any one makes to the top you will say I told you so.

Two names is all I ask.

I’ll add Alex Lowry to Morrison. 

51 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Two names is all I ask.

When I mention that everyone is going to be great?

I have hopes for King, Morrison, Hepburn. Players like Patterson and Hickey might join them. Other than that, who knows.

Personally speaking, I'd much rather watch the Scotland u17s and u19s, as opposed to the main squad. Does that mean that I think they'll all be world beaters? Probably not, but they'll all be better than our current squad of players.

15 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m sticking with 12 months. He’s accruing minutes most weeks and will get plenty more. 

The comparison to Hutton is a good one.

Wales Promoted Neco Williams to their full team, even though he only has a handful of matches... And he scored. The sooner Clarke pushes out the old guard, the better.

12 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

When I mention that everyone is going to be great?

I have hopes for King, Morrison, Hepburn. Players like Patterson and Hickey might join them. Other than that, who knows.

Personally speaking, I'd much rather watch the Scotland u17s and u19s, as opposed to the main squad. Does that mean that I think they'll all be world beaters? Probably not, but they'll all be better than our current squad of players.

Post the two best ones here then

10 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Let's not go overboard again here though. I like Patterson, and like yourself enjoy watching him for the Scotland youth teams he had a good debut for the u21s. He is still very suspect defensively though at the minute. He got ripped in the UEFA Youth League for Rangers by the young Atletico Madrid winger so he is still very much learning. Going forward he has really good attributes though. Would I have him in my next squad, yeah due to the sheer lack of options and his attacking qualities I probably would but I wouldn't heap too much pressure on the lad he is by no means the finished article.

30 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Let's not go overboard again here though. I like Patterson, and like yourself enjoy watching him for the Scotland youth teams he had a good debut for the u21s. He is still very suspect defensively though at the minute. He got ripped in the UEFA Youth League for Rangers by the young Atletico Madrid winger so he is still very much learning. Going forward he has really good attributes though. Would I have him in my next squad, yeah due to the sheer lack of options and his attacking qualities I probably would but I wouldn't heap too much pressure on the lad he is by no means the finished article.

I think “very suspect” is harsh. He came up against a player on fire and this can happen. He’s been solid enough playing against Europe’s best youth players for several years and is now a proper first team player aged 18. The heaped pressure will be from a demanding manager (and intemperate fans) who can’t afford to lose games, not our wee forum. 

4 hours ago, bazmidd said:

When the competition is Stephen O'Donnell and Liam Palmer, it makes it a wee bit easier to make a claim.