Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 200 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Sounds a highly promising player. I tried searching this lad's eligibility last night to no avail so Byron does seem well informed. Early days as it seems he is just returning from a bad injury but if the sfa are doing their job as well as Byron they should be aware of him & have made at least a tentative enquiry about his qualifications & feelings about being called up. 

11 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Athletic Club website seems to say he scored 11 in 26 for the u18s, 13 in 29 for the u19s and then got his 3 goals last season in Segunda B before being switched into the u23 squad mid season. No stats on games played - probably disrupted due to the shutdown. Very promising progression to be training with the first team ahead of the new season.

Sounds promising, if hornby or this guy can make an impact this season then that would be excellent.

12 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

This post is promising, but it doesn't state your reasons for believing this might be possible. Please provide a further, lengthy post, explaining your thinking.

I have been telt to cut my posts down to a more manageable size by ErsatzThistle. 

No more massive essays from me, just straight to the point. 

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hornby on the bench for Reims as the French Leagues start up. I would take this as a positive.

Good to see. Hopefully he'll start getting some sub appearnces quickly.

Meanwhile, George Johnston continues to start every pre-season friendly in central defence for Feyenoord.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Good to see. Hopefully he'll start getting some sub appearnces quickly.

Meanwhile, George Johnston continues to start every pre-season friendly in central defence for Feyenoord.

He’s played left back apparently...!

Read that he’s still considered a centre back and is just covering at left back. 

Likely to be third choice centre back and 3rd choice left back. Should mean some minutes this season. 

34 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s the Dutch way to be able to play any position, is it not? 

It is. Same in France and Germany and all the major nations

In their grassroots they don't assign positions to their kids. One match player x will be playing in one position, the next match he'll be playing in another.

We're the only ones who are obsessed by positions. It's not like they're playing a different sport.

Look at the recent European Cup final. Both Kimmich and Alaba played everywhere in defence and midfield last season. Muller could play in any outfield position, same with Davies, Thiago, Silva, Boateng.

In my opinion, so could Robertson and Tierney, which is what stands them apart from their Scotland team-mates.

I'm not saying every one of our players can play in multiple positions... Some of our players can't even play in one position.

32 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It is. Same in France and Germany and all the major nations

In their grassroots they don't assign positions to their kids. One match player x will be playing in one position, the next match he'll be playing in another.

We're the only ones who are obsessed by positions. It's not like they're playing a different sport.

Look at the recent European Cup final. Both Kimmich and Alaba played everywhere in defence and midfield last season. Muller could play in any outfield position, same with Davies, Thiago, Silva, Boateng.

In my opinion, so could Robertson and Tierney, which is what stands them apart from their Scotland team-mates.

I'm not saying every one of our players can play in multiple positions... Some of our players can't even play in one position.

Of course the best players in the world can play in different positions. 

But your idea of playing Robertson or Tierney as a central midfielder actually makes Scotland weaker. This is clearly our strongest position, why would you start to play a left back there (as a professional for the very first time!) instead of proven English Premiership players plus McGregor and Jack. 

We don’t need them to play midfield. We need them at left back, left wing back, right back or left centre back. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Of course the best players in the world can play in different positions. 

But your idea of playing Robertson or Tierney as a central midfielder actually makes Scotland weaker. This is clearly our strongest position, why would you start to play a left back there (as a professional for the very first time!) instead of proven English Premiership players plus McGregor and Jack. 

We don’t need them to play midfield. We need them at left back, left wing back, right back or left centre back. 

Groan. Does anyone want me to go through this, again?!?! I sure as f#@$ don't!!

Fine. Once more with feeling.

People bitch and whine about Andrew Robertson not being as effective for Scotland as he is for Liverpool. And they're correct. He isn't as effective for Scotland. Why? Because for Liverpool they usually dominate the ball and if you look at the heat map for Liverpool, he spends 75% of his time on the left wing. Whereas, for Scotland, he's either being pinned back in a left back position, because our ball retention is embarrassing, or he simply doesn't see the ball, as our ball retention is embarrassing.

Why do Austria play David Alaba as an anchorman? He plays center back or left back with Bayern Munich. They play him there because he's their best player and he can get the ball more often when he's in the middle and influence play.

As for McGregor, he reminds me of Lingard of Manchester United. He looks proactive and lively, without actually doing anything. As for Jack. No.

Our best football players are Tierney, McTominay, Robertson and McGinn. If they play in the middle, they'll see more of the ball. It's not everything, but at least it's a foundation.

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Groan. Does anyone want me to go through this, again?!?! I sure as f#@$ don't!!

Fine. Once more with feeling.

People bitch and whine about Andrew Robertson not being as effective for Scotland as he is for Liverpool. And they're correct. He isn't as effective for Scotland. Why? Because for Liverpool they usually dominate the ball and if you look at the heat map for Liverpool, he spends 75% of his time on the left wing. Whereas, for Scotland, he's either being pinned back in a left back position, because our ball retention is embarrassing, or he simply doesn't see the ball, as our ball retention is embarrassing.

Why do Austria play David Alaba as an anchorman? He plays center back or left back with Bayern Munich. They play him there because he's their best player and he can get the ball more often when he's in the middle and influence play.

As for McGregor, he reminds me of Lingard of Manchester United. He looks proactive and lively, without actually doing anything. As for Jack. No.

Our best football players are Tierney, McTominay, Robertson and McGinn. If they play in the middle, they'll see more of the ball. It's not everything, but at least it's a foundation.

Haha don’t pretend you don’t love posting about Robertson in central midfield. 

Austria played Alaba in central midfield because their midfield was relatively weak. He hasn’t played there recently for them. Our midfield isn’t weak relative to the rest of the team. Bayern played him in central defence recently because they’ve needed him there as Thiago, Kimmich and Muller have been brilliant. Their central defence hasn’t been. 

Same reason why Scotland will consider playing Tierney out of position to cover our weakest area. 

Being central doesn’t always mean you influence the game more. At Liverpool, Robertson and TAA touch the ball far more than the midfielders. 

I don’t mind players playing out of their normal position, but only when covering a position that’s weaker. 

Also comparing McGregor to Lingard is bizarre. Completely different players. 

It's getting quite hard to keep track of the Scottish players playing outside of the UK now.  

Are there any others worth keeping a look out for?

• Belgium 
    • Bates - Cercle Brugge
    • Hendry - KV Oostende
  • France
    • Hornby - Reims
  • Germany
    • Morrison - Bayern Munich (U19)
  • Greece
    • Allain - Olympiakos
  • Italy
    • Henderson - Empoli?
  • Netherlands
    • Johnston - Feyenoord
    • Fiorini - NAC Breda
  • Portugal 
    • Gauld - Farense
  • Spain
    • Aird - Athletic Bilboa
    • Harper - Getafe
  • USA
    • Cadden - Columbus Crew
    • Mackay-Steven - New York City
    • Morgan - Inter Miami
    • Russell - Sporting KC
    • Wilson - Colorado Rapids    

3 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Haha don’t pretend you don’t love posting about Robertson in central midfield. 

Austria played Alaba in central midfield because their midfield was relatively weak. He hasn’t played there recently for them. Our midfield isn’t weak relative to the rest of the team. Bayern played him in central defence recently because they’ve needed him there as Thiago, Kimmich and Muller have been brilliant. Their central defence hasn’t been. 

Same reason why Scotland will consider playing Tierney out of position to cover our weakest area. 

Being central doesn’t always mean you influence the game more. At Liverpool, Robertson and TAA touch the ball far more than the midfielders. 

I don’t mind players playing out of their normal position, but only when covering a position that’s weaker. 

Also comparing McGregor to Lingard is bizarre. Completely different players.

I don't. The fact that I have to justify a perfectly logical reasoning (over and over again) is... Urgh.

Austria's midfield is relatively weak? They have several midfielders in the Bundesliga, including Leverkusen and Wolfsburg. Not to mention that Austria are 26th in the ratings, as opposed to our 50th. So, whichever way you want to slice it, Austria are better than us. Much better.

Bayern Munich's defense hasn't been brilliant? Dude, they've just won the Bundesliga for the eighth year in a row. This season they won the treble, including the European Cup. In 2020 they won 25 out of 26 matches.

Robertson and TAA get the ball so much because Liverpool dominate possession. And TAA has been touted as a future midfielder by some in the English media.

They're different players? Both are midfielders. Both are worry in stature and like to drift forward. Neither actually contribute anything. The Man United fans hate Lingard and think of him as a waste of space... I'm guessing they'd think the same of McGregor, if he (somehow) joined Man United.

Anyway. I'm done explaining this (as well as the 3-5-2 thing). If you want answers to questions, they're here, just search for them.

Edited by Taylor1996

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

If someone asks a question (for the ten-thousandth time), I feel compelled to reply. 

Not anymore, though. I'm done explaining it to people. If they don't understand by now, they never will.

Thats great news👍🏼

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's getting quite hard to keep track of the Scottish players playing outside of the UK now.  

Are there any others worth keeping a look out for?

• Belgium 
    • Bates - Cercle Brugge
    • Hendry - KV Oostende
  • France
    • Hornby - Reims
  • Germany
    • Morrison - Bayern Munich (U19)
  • Greece
    • Allain - Olympiakos
  • Italy
    • Henderson - Empoli?
  • Netherlands
    • Johnston - Feyenoord
    • Fiorini - NAC Breda
  • Portugal 
    • Gauld - Farense
  • Spain
    • Aird - Athletic Bilboa
    • Harper - Getafe
  • USA
    • Cadden - Columbus Crew
    • Mackay-Steven - New York City
    • Morgan - Inter Miami
    • Russell - Sporting KC
    • Wilson - Colorado Rapids    

Frank Ross signed for Go Ahead Eagles at the same level as Fiorini. 

Has Hepburn to Bayern not gone through yet? 

Charles Boli at Lens got promoted to Ligue  1. 

There’s also a 25 year old centre back at Philadelphia Union, Jack Elliot who qualifies for us.