Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 197 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

As it stands, Fulham's promotion means there are 18 Scots in the EPL next season. Obviously that'll change with players like Douglas and McDonald possibly being shipped out (and who knows what for Burke!) but that compares to 13 at the start of last season and 11 at the start of the season before that.

30 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

As it stands, Fulham's promotion means there are 18 Scots in the EPL next season. Obviously that'll change with players like Douglas and McDonald possibly being shipped out (and who knows what for Burke!) but that compares to 13 at the start of last season and 11 at the start of the season before that.

Really can't complain about that and the excellent thing is many of them are starters and 4-5 of them are key players at their clubs (Robbo, McGinn, Tierney, Fleck etc). Also have Armstrong having an excellent last few months for Southampton who I think could be top 8 next season. McTominay isn't quite as key at Man. United anymore but he'll still get loads of starts for them next season with all the games and that never did Fletcher any harm being a squad player for many years.

It's not perfect before people bring up lack of CBs and a right back but there's certainly enough raw material in midfield and in other positions for Clarke to come up with a competitive team for the play offs whenever they take place.

Edited by Tartan Chris

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

17 Scots.

Joe Bryan wants to play for England.

Apologies, wasn't trying to start a quiz but these are the 18:

Liverpool
A Robertson

Man Utd
Scott McTominay

Arsenal
Kieran Tierney

Burnley
P Bardsley

Newcastle
Matt Ritchie

Southampton
S Armstrong

Crystal Palace
J McArthur

West Ham
Snodgrass

Villa
McGinn

Sheff Utd
Fleck
McBurnie

Chelsea
Gilmour

Leeds
Cooper
Douglas

WBA
Phillips
Burke

Fulham
Carney
McDonald

No statement on the quality or 'Scottishness' . Some may go but some might arrive (Fraser for example)

37 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Liverpool
A Robertson

Man Utd
Scott McTominay

Arsenal
Kieran Tierney

Burnley
P Bardsley

Newcastle
Matt Ritchie

Southampton
S Armstrong

Crystal Palace
J McArthur

West Ham
Snodgrass

Villa
McGinn

Sheff Utd
Fleck
McBurnie

Chelsea
Gilmour

Leeds
Cooper
Douglas

WBA
Phillips
Burke

Fulham
Carney
McDonald

No statement on the quality or 'Scottishness' . Some may go but some might arrive (Fraser for example)

At least the best ones are committed, giving Tierney the benefit of the doubt. 

2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Liverpool
A Robertson

Man Utd
Scott McTominay

Arsenal
Kieran Tierney

Burnley
P Bardsley

Newcastle
Matt Ritchie

Southampton
S Armstrong

Crystal Palace
J McArthur

West Ham
Snodgrass

Villa
McGinn

Sheff Utd
Fleck
McBurnie

Chelsea
Gilmour

Leeds
Cooper
Douglas

WBA
Phillips
Burke

Fulham
Carney
McDonald

No point including Snoddy, McCarthur etc as they can't arse playing for us.

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Joe Bryan was once called up for our U21s whilst at Bristol City but ultimately never played.

After he first moved to Fulham he said in an interview that he hoped the move would help him realise his "dream" of playing for England. 

Next !

He never quit playing for us but the thing is that we just don't need him now. Too many players ahead of him and other young players starting to emerge too.

I was a fan of Cairney's and was often frustrated at Strachan's continually ignoring him. Unfortunately, Strachan waited far too late to introduce him to international football.

Totally agree with you, just couldnt remember if he had packed it in or not. Should have been getting games years ago as you say.

4 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Liverpool
A Robertson

Man Utd
Scott McTominay

Arsenal
Kieran Tierney

Burnley
P Bardsley

Newcastle
Matt Ritchie

Southampton
S Armstrong

Crystal Palace
J McArthur

West Ham
Snodgrass

Villa
McGinn

Sheff Utd
Fleck
McBurnie

Chelsea
Gilmour

Leeds
Cooper
Douglas

WBA
Phillips
Burke

Fulham
Carney
McDonald

Good chunk of them aren't interested, thankfully for some too.

You havent included Fraser? he was getting a bit of stick from the guys on talksport today for how he has behaved and said that may have put a few clubs off him, which you have to agree with. Said at the time he was being a bawbag. Chat is Crystal Palace now, nae joy

44 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Totally agree with you, just couldnt remember if he had packed it in or not. Should have been getting games years ago as you say.

Good chunk of them aren't interested, thankfully for some too.

You havent included Fraser? he was getting a bit of stick from the guys on talksport today for how he has behaved and said that may have put a few clubs off him, which you have to agree with. Said at the time he was being a bawbag. Chat is Crystal Palace now, nae joy

£50k a week they're apparently prepared to offer him. If that's nae joy I'm not sure what is!

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Not exactly the massive club he was aiming for is it

Maybe not, but they're still a solid EPL team and a bigger club than Bournemouth - and he'll double his money too - so it wouldn't exactly be a disaster for him if he went there.

Plus, from a Scotland perspective I'd rather he was playing regularly for a Crystal Palace than a bit part player for a more fashionable club.

52 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Maybe not, but they're still a solid EPL team and a bigger club than Bournemouth - and he'll double his money too - so it wouldn't exactly be a disaster for him if he went there.

Plus, from a Scotland perspective I'd rather he was playing regularly for a Crystal Palace than a bit part player for a more fashionable club.

They're shite, also will he start every game wouldn't be so sure.

12 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Worst twitter reviews I’ve read since McTominay began starting for Man U. 

Hopefully he’s just rusty. 

He played the full match so he can't have been all that bad.

11 hours ago, Kirk said:

They're shite, also will he start every game wouldn't be so sure.

They're a lower to middle EPL team - nothing to get too excited about - but they're hardly shite! If they were shite they wouldn't have survived in that division as long as they have.

Not many players do start every week but I reckon he'd be an important player for them. If he isn't good enough to do that (I think he is, and so must Palace, if they're prepared to pay him £50k a week) then all the talk of him going to a top six club is immaterial, because surely then he'd have nae chance of getting a regular game.

48 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He played the full match so he can't have been all that bad.

They're a lower to middle EPL team - nothing to get too excited about - but they're hardly shite! If they were shite they wouldn't have survived in that division as long as they have.

Not many players do start every week but I reckon he'd be an important player for them. If he isn't good enough to do that (I think he is, and so must Palace, if they're prepared to pay him £50k a week) then all the talk of him going to a top six club is immaterial, because surely then he'd have nae chance of getting a regular game.

Yeah they're his level, I dont think he would be good enough at one of the top teams at all. They've survived but could easily end up down the bottom any year. We will see what happens. I'd rather he did well of course but he also needs to take his head out his arse

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Yeah they're his level, I dont think he would be good enough at one of the top teams at all. They've survived but could easily end up down the bottom any year. We will see what happens. I'd rather he did well of course but he also needs to take his head out his arse

If he ends up at palace its no the inspiring move he or we wouldve wanted to see.

I can see fraser being one of those who retires early from international fitba like mcarthur.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He looked well off the pace.

He was playing brilliantly prior to lockdown  IIRC and scored in the manc derby. I thought he had played well all season up and till that point really, something’s went wrong. 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

If he ends up at palace its no the inspiring move he or we wouldve wanted to see.

I can see fraser being one of those who retires early from international fitba like mcarthur.

Exactly, he has done himself no favours at all. If he had played, he could have kept his team up and probably got a bonus plus a better move.

25 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Massive compared to Bournemouth and every club in Scotland out with the arsecheeks

Not really the point i was making