Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 194 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its mostly down to TV money. Top European leagues get huge TV money and sponsorship deals that Scottish teams can only dream of. Not sure if there is much that the spfl or sfa can do Tbf. 

Dave Cormack was making the point today that those in charge are not doing enough. There's no SPFL sponsor this season. It's a hard time to get sponsorship but the problem started before Covid19.

Tom English reported that some years ago Barry/Eddy Hearn (one of them) berated those in charge for their failures to finance the game.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its mostly down to TV money. Top European leagues get huge TV money and sponsorship deals that Scottish teams can only dream of. Not sure if there is much that the spfl or sfa can do Tbf. 

The teams pumping our lot are invariably part-time minnows. If it wasn’t for Covid our non-Old Firm teams would already be out of Europe.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

The teams pumping our lot are invariably part-time minnows. If it wasn’t for Covid our non-Old Firm teams would already be out of Europe.

That's the thing for me. When Aberdeen had that strong period a few years back under McInnes they still weren't getting close to making the group stages of europa. Who they lost to:

2014: Real Sociedad (fair enough and they had a fantastic win in Groningen in the previous round)

2015: Kairat Almaty (no idea on their level back then as haven't heard of them since)

2016: Maribor (tend to pop up in europa regularly)

2017: Ap Limmasol (was going to say worst elimination of the lot but they made the group stage and held Everton and Lyon at home)

2018: Burnley

Not as bad as I thought but it's still frustrating when you see Dundalk making the group stages the other year. Think a team from Luxembourg also got in. Another side doing well in europe aside from the Oldf Firm would help the co-efficient a bit more.

Edited by Tartan Chris

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I remember how we used to laugh at the diddy Irish and welsh leagues back in the 70s.   We are that now.  Sad that it has come to this.  

Yup, and the faster we accept that, the quicker our talented young players will move to competitive leagues and the stronger our national team will become. 

Or perhaps both will crumble into oblivion together? Still not sure which, but I'm hoping for the former.

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

That's the thing for me. When Aberdeen had that strong period a few years back under McInnes they still weren't getting close to making the group stages of europa. Who they lost to:

2014: Real Sociedad (fair enough and they had a fantastic win in Groningen in the previous round)

2015: Kairat Almaty (no idea on their level back then as haven't heard of them since)

2016: Maribor (tend to pop up in europa regularly)

2017: Ap Limmasol (was going to say worst elimination of the lot but they made the group stage and held Everton and Lyon at home)

2018: Burnley

Not as bad as I thought but it's still frustrating when you see Dundalk making the group stages the other year. Think a team from Luxembourg also got in. Another side doing well in europe aside from the Oldf Firm would help the co-efficient a bit more.

F91 Dudelange have been in the Europea League group stages.  They beat Legia Warsaw, Cluj home and away, drew with Betis and lost 1-0 to Milan which I think we can agree is not too shabby a record.  My thinking is that the most successful clubs in every country and pulling away from the rest because of the money they get from being in Europe, which then becomes self-perpetuating because it lets them win the league almost every year.  Dudelange only formed in 1991 but have won 7 of the last 10 Luxembourg titles.

Likewise Dundalk.  They qualified for Europa League by getting knocked out of Champions League qualifiers and have won 5 out of last 6 Irish titles.  No doubt the money they gained from that European run will get them the money to keep winning the Irish title and pull further ahed of the rest.

Edited by adamntg

I would put part of the poor results down to our players constantly playing against the same teams with the same old faces. They seem unable to handle different opponents. I’ve no doubt that many of the teams that have knocked out our lot would struggle in the SPFL over the course of a season. So a bigger league playing each team twice would help, as would summer football. 

All of this is not a good advert for including SPFL players in the Scotland team, as things stand.

Yeah, bigger league playing each other twice is an obvious step forward.  So why does it not happen? Cos wee diddy teams want to host the old firm twice a season and Sky want the old firm to play each other as much as possible.  Self interest ahead of the greater good of football.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Agreed...however, our league is hugely more successful in every measure than any other league in the British Isles, England apart

I agree with that, but fuck me what a poor division to even be competing in.

17 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Yeah, bigger league playing each other twice is an obvious step forward.  So why does it not happen? Cos wee diddy teams want to host the old firm twice a season and Sky want the old firm to play each other as much as possible.  Self interest ahead of the greater good of football.

Rangers and celtics win at all costs attitude has saturated competition and left some smaller clubs desperate for more OF fans.

Not every club has, aberdeen reduced the OF allocation and will not make as much money when they visit. Changing the size of the league can be done with notice. Give clubs two seasons to get everything ready for less OF visits. 

The big problem is the TV contract, we cant blame sky when the wanks at the top of the SPFL tree sell only the old firm, thats the only card they think they have to play but scotland has some tasty fixtures in it every year which should be promoted more.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:26 AM, vanderark14 said:

Rangers and celtics win at all costs attitude has saturated competition and left some smaller clubs desperate for more OF fans.

Not every club has, aberdeen reduced the OF allocation and will not make as much money when they visit. Changing the size of the league can be done with notice. Give clubs two seasons to get everything ready for less OF visits. 

The big problem is the TV contract, we cant blame sky when the wanks at the top of the SPFL tree sell only the old firm, thats the only card they think they have to play but scotland has some tasty fixtures in it every year which should be promoted more.

If Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen got even a tenth of the money Norwich got for finishing last in EPL our league would be a great league.

Still think back to the chance Milne had to end the Old Firm duopoly in that vote in 2012 and he blew it.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:45 AM, adamntg said:

If Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen got even a tenth of the money Norwich got for finishing last in EPL our league would be a great league.

Still think back to the chance Milne had to end the Old Firm duopoly in that vote in 2012 and he blew it.

What vote was that? 

There is a law in scottish football's top flight where 11 clubs must agree on any given subject...Rangers and Celtic generally vote together to keep their control of the game...hence most things that dont suit them get vetoed...

...when Rangers self-combusted, it was thought this rule would be changed to something more democratic, a vote was held on changing it to 9 and 3 (if my memory serves me right) however the sheep in their infinite wisdom decided to be Rangers for one vote only and sided with celtic, meaning that the 11-1 still stands and the duopoly continues

7 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

There is a law in scottish football's top flight where 11 clubs must agree on any given subject...Rangers and Celtic generally vote together to keep their control of the game...hence most things that dont suit them get vetoed...

...when Rangers self-combusted, it was thought this rule would be changed to something more democratic, a vote was held on changing it to 9 and 3 (if my memory serves me right) however the sheep in their infinite wisdom decided to be Rangers for one vote only and sided with celtic, meaning that the 11-1 still stands and the duopoly continues

Not sure how that would change the old firm dominating Scottish football. They have huge resources that come from the huge amount of supporters they have who fanatically support them and financially back them. Being able to create a fairer voting system might have had a tiny benefit to the smaller teams but I doubt it would of made a serious dent in the old firms grip on Scottish football. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure how that would change the old firm dominating Scottish football. They have huge resources that come from the huge amount of supporters they have who fanatically support them and financially back them. Being able to create a fairer voting system might have had a tiny benefit to the smaller teams but I doubt it would of made a serious dent in the old firms grip on Scottish football. 

Things like splitting gate money and having a more equal share of prize and sponsor money would have a huge impact...if not, why do they protect that 11-1 so vocally?

Just now, 0Neils40yarder said:

Things like splitting gate money and having a more equal share of prize and sponsor money would have a huge impact...if not, why do they protect that 11-1 so vocally?

Does any leagues in Europe split gate money?

The prize money is so low that sharing it more equally would result in Aberdeen getting an extra 150k or something pitiful like that. Even if you took 2m prize money for example from 1st and 2nd(usually celtic and rangers) and shared it out between the other 10 clubs it would be 200k each. Hardly game changing. 

Only way one of the smaller clubs could challenge is for a huge investor to throw money at a club like hibs or Aberdeen and for that club to have a golden batch of players like hibs did 15 years ago. If these two things coincided then the old firm dominance could be broken imo. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Does any leagues in Europe split gate money?

The prize money is so low that sharing it more equally would result in Aberdeen getting an extra 150k or something pitiful like that. Even if you took 2m prize money for example from 1st and 2nd(usually celtic and rangers) and shared it out between the other 10 clubs it would be 200k each. Hardly game changing. 

Only way one of the smaller clubs could challenge is for a huge investor to throw money at a club like hibs or Aberdeen and for that club to have a golden batch of players like hibs did 15 years ago. If these two things coincided then the old firm dominance could be broken imo. 

Anything is better than nothing..

When the team that finished 3rd last season is paying an average wage of about 40k a year, any way of redistribution of wealth would help them greatly...