Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 192 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Neither are good enough, especially McGregor 

Think we keep putting our players down and then find out we've been unfair. That said, maybe the definition of a 'top half' EPL club is a bit uncertain but I can see them both thrive at Everton, Newcastle, Southampton etc.

2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Think we keep putting our players down and then find out we've been unfair. That said, maybe the definition of a 'top half' EPL club is a bit uncertain but I can see them both thrive at Everton, Newcastle, Southampton etc.

49 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Clearly that is not the case. See McGinn, Fleck, Armstrong etc 

Maybe I’m being overly harsh but I don’t really rate McGregor. He’s 27, average for Scotland so couldn’t see him doing much in England. 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Maybe I’m being overly harsh but I don’t really rate McGregor. He’s 27, average for Scotland so couldn’t see him doing much in England. 

I think he's been average for Scotland but Tbf most of our players have been average or worse. He would be good for a mid table epl team like Everton or a lower epl team. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think he's been average for Scotland but Tbf most of our players have been average or worse. He would be good for a mid table epl team like Everton or a lower epl team. 

Potentially he could be, also might fade into obscurity 

A pal of a pal (Yes, sounds like shite already ; but he's a good guy and I take his word) anyway, his pal works at Arsenal (the pal's pal is Scottish too) and Tierney can't wait to get involved with the national team and says he felt a bit of pressure with the big move/wages to get fit for Arsenal, I whatsapped the pal of a pal 'will he play anywhere?' and the reply was 'He would play in goal for Scotland. He loves it.'

Let's hope it all works out in the playoffs results wise and we get to the Euros!

Did anyone catch any of the Rangers friendly v Coventry yesterday? Jack Burroughs played at RB or RWB and represents us at u19 level. Very highly thought of and just turned 19 in March. Maybe one to look out for this season.

6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

A pal of a pal (Yes, sounds like shite already ; but he's a good guy and I take his word) anyway, his pal works at Arsenal (the pal's pal is Scottish too) and Tierney can't wait to get involved with the national team and says he felt a bit of pressure with the big move/wages to get fit for Arsenal, I whatsapped the pal of a pal 'will he play anywhere?' and the reply was 'He would play in goal for Scotland. He loves it.'

Let's hope it all works out in the playoffs results wise and we get to the Euros!

Let's hope he's right. Not totally convinced yet though, as for someone who is active on Twitter, he (unsurprisingly) mentions Celtic and Arsenal regularly but has nothing about Scotland. Thought it strange he removed 'Scotland player' from his bio too.

Guest ElChris04

McGregor and Chrsite not good for EPL? Having a laugh.

the 2 of them would be brilliant in a top football league. EPL included.. if yer judging them on performances solely for Scotland then most of the team would look like they couldn’t cut at a decent level.. 

17 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

McGregor and Chrsite not good for EPL? Having a laugh.

the 2 of them would be brilliant in a top football league. EPL included.. if yer judging them on performances solely for Scotland then most of the team would look like they couldn’t cut at a decent level.. 

I’m not saying they aren’t good enough to play in the EPL, there’s a lot of bang average players who already do and they’d probably get games for teams in the middle or bottom of the league. 

2 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Did anyone catch any of the Rangers friendly v Coventry yesterday? Jack Burroughs played at RB or RWB and represents us at u19 level. Very highly thought of and just turned 19 in March. Maybe one to look out for this season.

Yes, he did look good. I don’t think we’ll need to look too much further than Nathan Patterson though in the not too distant future. He’s like a composed Alan Hutton. 

I can also see Barjonas making quick progress in midfield.

At the end of the day I'll judge players on their Scotland form - just because a player plays in the EPL even at a top club does not make them entitled to start for Scotland. Mentioned on here a few weeks ago - Alan Hansen. Playing in the all conquering Liverpool team but looked far less impressive for Scotland. More up to date there was Charlie Adam also at Liverpool but for Scotland failed to do it anywhere near enough times for Scotland. A good few times as well moves down south can prove detrimental to a player as far as international form/commitment goes.

In short - the EPL is not the nirvana it is made out to be.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The EPL isnt what its made out to be unless you are talking about the top 2-5 sides.

Liverpool aren't what they are made out to be if you take away their top 2-5 players.

This argument has always baffled me. No thing is as good as it's made out to be if you remove the things that make it good.

Do I think Everton are world beaters? No. Would I rather a Scot playing there against teams like Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Leicester, Tottenham, Arsenal etc every week or two than see them up against Scottish teams every week? 100%

The better players you play with and against, the better you become. It's true in almost every sport.

13 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Liverpool aren't what they are made out to be if you take away their top 2-5 players.

This argument has always baffled me. No thing is as good as it's made out to be if you remove the things that make it good.

Do I think Everton are world beaters? No. Would I rather a Scot playing there against teams like Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Leicester, Tottenham, Arsenal etc every week or two than see them up against Scottish teams every week? 100%

The better players you play with and against, the better you become. It's true in almost every sport.

There is the other side of the coin to this though. Suxch is the competition for places at plenty of EPL clubs then chances are extremely limited. In effect a player getting regular first team football in the SPL is better to us (Scotland) than moving to the EPL and warming the bench at best and going without competitive matches.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There is the other side of the coin to this though. Suxch is the competition for places at plenty of EPL clubs then chances are extremely limited. In effect a player getting regular first team football in the SPL is better to us (Scotland) than moving to the EPL and warming the bench at best and going without competitive matches.

Absolutely. When I'm excited about a Scot playing in the EPL I'm talking about actually playing. If they are just gonna warm the bench I'd rather they were somewhere else getting a game.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I’m not sure that happens too much. Players won’t be at clubs very long if they’re only playing a couple of games a season. Training with top players and getting a dozen games is probably better than playing 40 games in the SPFL. 

37 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Well done on missing the point. The point was both could easily make it in that league

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

How did that work out for Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobie, Derek McInnes, Michael Stewart and Paul Devlin then ?

Scotland legends.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How did that work out for Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobie, Derek McInnes, Michael Stewart and Paul Devlin then ?

Scotland legends.

Pretty sure Michael Stewart, Scott dobie and Kevin Kyle barely played any epl football. Maybe a handful of appearances each. Not sure how they can be used to discredit our players testing themselves in the epl. 

Mcinnes and devlin played a season each. This experience could of improved them, its hard to tell but tbh many players are not cut out for top level football but that doesn't mean they shouldn't at least give it a go. 

I am quite happy for the likes of mcgregor and christie to stay at celtic as they are playing for a team that would probably finish mid table in the epl. They also play European football with Celtic which is a good test and they are under pressure to win trophies and win every game. If they are happy at celtic then that's OK with me. They are players that would play for mid/lower table epl teams so it's not a big deal if they don't move to the epl. 

However it is good for our players to move to the epl and play top level football. To suggest its not is ludicrous. The more players we have in the epl the better imo. Its a high standard and can only improve a player. 

im not obsessed by the EPL.... I would be just as happy with our players being at Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona or PSG.  The point being that the Scottish league is a tin pot league run by a bunch of muppets that does not equate to the level required of international football.

this is a recent phenomenon over the past 30 years.  Tv money has caused this. You can’t compare how close we were to the old English first division back then to now... it’s a gulf now, it wasn’t then. Where would most player from outside the old firm be...lower championship or leGue 1

maybe my standards are too high but whenI grew up and expected to go to the World Cup and expected to qualify from the group.