Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 189 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Try to not get upset when someone disagrees with you. I dont rate forrest for scotland and never have. 

Fraser plays a lot on the left, i havent denied that but he has also played on the right. In my opinion he is better than forrest, i also believe armstrong and christie are better playrs for scotland. Deepite being out of position i believe theyd both play better than forreat

Forrest isnt the same player when he pulls on a scotland shirt.

Shouldnt the manager focus on how to bring that standard of play out of him when he plays for Scotland rather than just discard him?

If a players got talent and plays well for their club side then we cant afford to chuck them away. I wouldnt start Forrest but on his day he is an asset.

On another note where has this Tierney csnt play / doesnt want to play right back come from. Defensively he has played well anytime he has played there for us. Biggest issue is he cant cross with his right foot but given that we only play 1 up top and generally dont look to score from crosses I dont see this as being a major issue.

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Shouldnt the manager focus on how to bring that standard of play out of him when he plays for Scotland rather than just discard him?

If a players got talent and plays well for their club side then we cant afford to chuck them away. I wouldnt start Forrest but on his day he is an asset.

On another note where has this Tierney csnt play / doesnt want to play right back come from. Defensively he has played well anytime he has played there for us. Biggest issue is he cant cross with his right foot but given that we only play 1 up top and generally dont look to score from crosses I dont see this as being a major issue.

On his day he is an asset, i.have agreed with this but that day in a scotland shirt doesnt come around enough.

Ive no idea where the tierney wont play at RB has come from, i never brought it up

36 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

On his day he is an asset, i.have agreed with this but that day in a scotland shirt doesnt come around enough.

Ive no idea where the tierney wont play at RB has come from, i never brought it up

I agree with what your saying but you could say the same of alot of our players over the years. At least he always turns up unlike others, also its a bit unfair to suggest that a guy who single handedly got us this play off doesn't even at least deserve a place in the squad. His hatrick is the reason we might get to go to our first tournament in over 20 years. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I agree with what your saying but you could say the same of alot of our players over the years. At least he always turns up unlike others, also its a bit unfair to suggest that a guy who single handedly got us this play off doesn't even at least deserve a place in the squad. His hatrick is the reason we might get to go to our first tournament in over 20 years. 

He didnt single handedly get us there, he made a huge cobtribution. 

If we get to a tournament it will be because of the team and manager,not a single hatrick.

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pity he can't, he's benched tonight.

Hmm. 

After a wee bit of research it would seem that he's 28, played most of his football in the French second tier before moving to Greece, where he's currently back-up goalie at Olympiacos.

Still worth keeping tabs on, given our lack of options in that position, but possibly quite the goalkeeping wunderkind I was hoping for.

14 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Anyone know much about Jamie Barjones at Rangers? He's 21 so not that young but played in the friendly and scored. He's not been on my radar so just reading about him. 

He was on loan with Thistle for a while before the lockdown. Obviously, a lot has happened since then, but I can't remember him making much of an impression on me (then again, not many people in the Thistle side have made much of a positive impression on me these past couple of seasons!).

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He didnt single handedly get us there, he made a huge cobtribution. 

If we get to a tournament it will be because of the team and manager,not a single hatrick.

We needed to beat Israel and he provided a hatrick which sealed the match and the play off. End of the day it would be extremely harsh to deny the guy his place in the squad and this is from someone who slagged the guy for years. If fraser or Tierney had scored the hatrick would you be saying the same, both haven't turned up much for Scotland and fraser has had very few decent games much like forrest. 

I’m not forrests biggest fan as you will have seen from my past posts.  Particularly early in his scotland career he would often go missing or hide.  I do however think he deserves a place in the squad based on his recent scotland form.  Personally I wouldn’t start him but I would like the option to bring him on to try s9mething different down the right.

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We needed to beat Israel and he provided a hatrick which sealed the match and the play off. End of the day it would be extremely harsh to deny the guy his place in the squad and this is from someone who slagged the guy for years. If fraser or Tierney had scored the hatrick would you be saying the same, both haven't turned up much for Scotland and fraser has had very few decent games much like forrest. 

I tend to agree. Forrest has had more good performances for Scotland than Fraser has. Both have played well at times and both have been pish. I would say when both are playing bad, Fraser is the worst of the two.

52 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ive already said above and plenty of times before that fraser and tierneys commitment is up for debate. 

Im not surw what either has got to do with forrest being shite in the majority of games.

Ill say it again, if armstrong, christie and fraser are fit and committed, they play on the right as i think they are better players.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Ive already said above and plenty of times before that fraser and tierneys commitment is up for debate. 

Im not surw what either has got to do with forrest being shite in the majority of games.

Ill say it again, if armstrong, christie and fraser are fit and committed, they play on the right as i think they are better players.

Lol I can just imagine your conversation with forrest if you were manager of scotland. "Sorry forrest you scored a hatrick that secured our first playoff in nearly 20 years but your not quite good enough for our super talented squad."

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol I can just imagine your conversation with forrest if you were manager of scotland. "Sorry forrest you scored a hatrick that secured our first playoff in nearly 20 years but your not quite good enough for our super talented squad."

and I assume your would be, here ye go jamesy, theres better players than you but I Will play you despite you being pish for the vast majority of your scotland career

see I can do it too

just a thought here, we haven't seen much from Forrest in terms of form, and I reckon our right back could have a factor in it and the orders he has been given to execute.  I prefer Christie over Forrest but we should be looking at the opposition, fitness and form, I really don't think there is a strongest Scottish 11 right now , I think we have to field our strongest team available, in a formation to suit the given game - unfortunately for us this makes the team very reactionary which again weakens our ability to play well.  

Edited by romanticscot

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

and I assume your would be, here ye go jamesy, theres better players than you but I Will play you despite you being pish for the vast majority of your scotland career

see I can do it too

Again, what has caps that date back to 2011 got to do with his current form now lol?

and these better players, mind telling me what Ryan Fraser has done better in a Scotland jersey than forrest over his 11 caps? Aside pull out more squads...

Christe, a natural central player, abeit he’s decent on the wing, but not a better option than someone like forrest. Armstrong is the only genuine option to challenge giving his current form playing on the right wing for southampton, but even then like christie he’s still better in the middle then the wing.

I don’t see the attraction on starting 2 players who are natural better central midfielders over a natural inform winger who’s played there his whole career.

Add to the fact he has been playing RWB for celtic and has been very decent there, an option that gives clarke to go with a back five too.

49 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We don’t have any right backs remotely close to international class so need to make the best of it.  Unless anyone has any suggestions.  That would be one reason to consider a back three.

If Clarke feels Palmer is good enough then he plays right back. If he doesn’t then we’ll either have to go 3 at the back or play tierney right back. We do have a right back playing at a good level who hasn’t played for Scotland for years - Bardsley. 

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Again, what has caps that date back to 2011 got to do with his current form now lol?

and these better players, mind telling me what Ryan Fraser has done better in a Scotland jersey than forrest over his 11 caps? Aside pull out more squads...

Christe, a natural central player, abeit he’s decent on the wing, but not a better option than someone like forrest. Armstrong is the only genuine option to challenge giving his current form playing on the right wing for southampton, but even then like christie he’s still better in the middle then the wing.

I don’t see the attraction on starting 2 players who are natural better central midfielders over a natural inform winger who’s played there his whole career.

Add to the fact he has been playing RWB for celtic and has been very decent there, an option that gives clarke to go with a back five too.

You keep referring to his celtic form. How many times do i need to say he doesnt replicate that form for scotland. Who mentioned 2011. Forrest was gash after the league of nations. 

You would pick ryan jack in your starting 11. Ill take anything you say with a pinch of salt

Lol indeed

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

If Clarke feels Palmer is good enough then he plays right back. If he doesn’t then we’ll either have to go 3 at the back or play tierney right back. We do have a right back playing at a good level who hasn’t played for Scotland for years - Bardsley. 

I’d have Bardsley  in a minute - thought he was great for us.

58 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You keep referring to his celtic form. How many times do i need to say he doesnt replicate that form for scotland. Who mentioned 2011. Forrest was gash after the league of nations. 

You would pick ryan jack in your starting 11. Ill take anything you say with a pinch of salt

Lol indeed

To be fair, it's difficult to name many players over the last couple of years who have replicated their club form in a Scotland jersey. Scotland are worse right now than most of the clubs our players play for. It's hard to recreate form (especially attacking form) when you're getting pummelled. 

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Lol indeed

“You keep referring to his celtic form.”

Last time I checked with international football, you call up your best players for squads because they are performing consistently for there clubs... can’t say I’ve seen the rules for international football changed this year... 

also I asked what has fraser done better than forrest in his 11 caps and I get no reply on it... so I take that as what I already knew. 

You would pick ryan jack in your starting 11. Ill take anything you say with a pinch of salt” 

“Lol indeed”

mind when you said when someone disagreed with me I need to “learn not to get upset”....

think you need to take your own advice pal. 😂

Edited by ElChris04