Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 187 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

30 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

A back three is how I'd go, to accommodate both...dont like Tierney on the right at all, and more importantly he doesn't like it either.

Whenever he's played there for Scotland he's done well, has he said he doesn't like it in an interview? 

A possible line up if we play 3 at the back....

Marshall

Cooper McKenna tierney  

Mcgregor

Christie  Mctominay Armstrong robbo 

McGinn 

Mcburnie 

If we play a 3 at the back I can’t see us playing 2 strikers. Not sure who the best sitting midfielder is either, Man U fans saying Mctominay isn’t a holding midfielder and is best box to box. Christie has to start but I’m not sure he can do a job at wing back.

Think Tierney was fantastic last night. No doubt Aubu would get MOM but Tierney was not far behind. There was one sliding tackle in the first half which was out of the Willie Miller league.

Glad Arsenal are not involved in Europa League thingy as Tierney probably needs a rest in preparation for next season. He was out for a long time with his various injuries. So a break after the FA Cup final until season starts again. I would play him in one of the next Nations League and hopefully he is bang on match fit for Israel Norway/ Serbia in October.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t think wing back suits Robertson, so no back three for me. Tierney left midfield in a 4-5-1. Roberson on the overlap in some attacks and Tierney covering. Currently we’ve got Fraser there and I think we’ll get more from Tierney.

Fraser doesn't turn up much for Scotland squads and Tierney would do well at left wing imo. He defo has the skills to play left wing.

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fraser doesn't turn up much for Scotland squads and Tierney would do well at left wing imo. He defo has the skills to play left wing.

Tierney doesnt turn up either 😂

If clarke goes with a 3 having robertson on the left, tierney in the back 3, fraser on the right sounds brilliant but im not convinced clarke will play 3 at the back. 

If he goes with 4 at the nack i could see tierney on the left in front of robertson or vice versa

12 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Tom English on the Sportsound podcast has said that an English Championship club he'd spoken to were interested in Dykes, more than Shankland. Felt he had more attributes.

Maybe so, I’ve not seen either play but they are same age and Shankland has significantly more goals 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Tierney doesnt turn up either 😂

If clarke goes with a 3 having robertson on the left, tierney in the back 3, fraser on the right sounds brilliant but im not convinced clarke will play 3 at the back. 

If he goes with 4 at the nack i could see tierney on the left in front of robertson or vice versa

Yeh thats true but he has had alot of injury problems and celtic ran him into the ground. Tierney on the left, fraser on the right sounds good to me. I would like to see Tierney at centre back in a back four in a friendly. He might be the centre back we have been crying out for. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Whenever he's played there for Scotland he's done well, has he said he doesn't like it in an interview? 

Strachan played him at right-back a few times and he did okay. 

Three at back might enable us to play two up front though, and thus address the McBurnie conundrum. It doesn't address the right-back/wing-back conundrum though. McLeish tried Paterson and O'Donnell there, and both were found wanting. I seem to remember Fraser playing there once and he seemed uncomfortable too. Other options are Palmer (who isn't much better than O'Donnell, IMO) and Forrest.

Can't believe the comments on the Arsenal notice board about Tierney, future captain and the steal of the decade at £25 million amongst others.

Question though if you are very good as a defender in a back three does that mean you are automatically very good in a back four. Robertson is on record saying he doesn't like playing as wing back and as far as I can see McBurnie is the only likely starter who plays in a 3-5-2 formation.

Hopefully stays in central defence and gives us one less problem.

Guest ElChris04

Tierney yet again absolutely exceptional again last night. Couldn’t have hoped for a better return. He’ll be key for us in the playoffs. 

as for positions, Tierney at RB is a no go. I’d rather play Robertson at right back before him, Robertson switched at right back with Alexander-Arnold during periods of every game with Liverpool so actually has experience playing there at top level. 

Tierney needs to play either LB or CB if it’s a back four. If it’s a back three he’s played wingback and is fantastic their too. It’s the latter for me, but one thing is certain. He cannot play right back, it would be a unbelievable waste of his ability and what he could offer us. 

11 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Tierney yet again absolutely exceptional again last night. Couldn’t have hoped for a better return. He’ll be key for us in the playoffs. 

as for positions, Tierney at RB is a no go. I’d rather play Robertson at right back before him, Robertson switched at right back with Alexander-Arnold during periods of every game with Liverpool so actually has experience playing there at top level. 

Tierney needs to play either LB or CB if it’s a back four. If it’s a back three he’s played wingback and is fantastic their too. It’s the latter for me, but one thing is certain. He cannot play right back, it would be a unbelievable waste of his ability and what he could offer us. 

Then Robertson is dropped?

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we did go with a back three (where’s Chripper?), which I don’t want, I would think Armstrong would be a good candidate for right wing back. Pace, discipline, energy and can cross a ball.

Not in the last few mins against England ...

35 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Spot the Celtic fan!

Robertson has to play and Tierney as near as damn it has to play central defence. Question is should it be in a back four or a back three. A question you are in a better position than most to answer.

One positive mind you if Robertson didn't play some one else would be captain.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Question though if you are very good as a defender in a back three does that mean you are automatically very good in a back four. 

That's exactly what I was wondering. I'm not so keen on 3 at the back as Robertson is more effective as a traditional LB, I think it takes away some of best midfielders (how do you fit McTominay, Fraser, Christie, McGinn, Armstrong and McGregor in?), and we hardly have a fantastic choice of CBs. So, can he play on the left of a two (and then who'd be on the right of CB pair????)

The RB option messes with my head. I hated seeing him stop to pass the ball infield as he couldn't cross with his right. But, is Tierney hamstrung by playing out of position still a lot better than any RB?

13 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

That's exactly what I was wondering. I'm not so keen on 3 at the back as Robertson is more effective as a traditional LB, I think it takes away some of best midfielders (how do you fit McTominay, Fraser, Christie, McGinn, Armstrong and McGregor in?), and we hardly have a fantastic choice of CBs. So, can he play on the left of a two (and then who'd be on the right of CB pair????)

The RB option messes with my head. I hated seeing him stop to pass the ball infield as he couldn't cross with his right. But, is Tierney hamstrung by playing out of position still a lot better than any RB?

Try out Tierney with Cooper or mckenna and see if it works. Tierney at right back is still better than our other options imo. 

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Spot the Celtic fan!

Robertson has to play and Tierney as near as damn it has to play central defence. Question is should it be in a back four or a back three. A question you are in a better position than most to answer.

One positive mind you if Robertson didn't play some one else would be captain.

Absolutely, both must play. 

I’d play Robertson at LWB

and Tierney CB. 

That’s the best system imo by a good distance. 

I’d also love to see Tierney as a sole overlapping CB at that. Something Chris Wilder implements at Sheffield Utd, with one of his CB’s, and who better than Tierney who’s pact and his some left foot on him to hit a shot, he’s been unlucky not to score for arsenal yet since his return. 2 times in particular he was moved to CB when David Luiz was sent off, and was playing a overlapping CB role and nearly scored a worldly if it wasn’t for Hugo Lloris’s top goalkeeping. 

2 ST’s up top is the ideal way to get the best out of McBurnie ( so 2 birds with 1 stone ) and pair McBurnie with either Griffiths ( If fit ) it Shankland. 

that would fill me with a lot of confidence. And get the best out players we have. 

Edited by ElChris04

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

That's the problem, it'd be any one of the eight or nine centre-halves we've used in the past couple of years, none of whom have exactly shone, I think it's probably fair to say.

There are some advantages to using a left-sided player on the right (it provides the opportunity to cut inside when attacking, being the most obvious one) but there probably are more drawbacks. Even so, for me, Tierney playing out of position at right-back is an improvement on our other options in that position, because at least he'd be able to defend.

Edited by scotlad

26 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Absolutely, both must play. 

I’d play Robertson at LWB

and Tierney CB. 

That’s the best system imo by a good distance. 

I’d also love to see Tierney as a sole overlapping CB at that. Something Chris Wilder implements at Sheffield Utd, with one of his CB’s, and who better than Tierney who’s pact and his some left foot on him to hit a shot, he’s been unlucky not to score for arsenal yet since his return. 2 times in particular he was moved to CB when David Luiz was sent off, and was playing a overlapping CB role and nearly scored a worldly if it wasn’t for Hugo Lloris’s top goalkeeping. 

2 ST’s up top is the ideal way to get the best out of McBurnie ( so 2 birds with 1 stone ) and pair McBurnie with either Griffiths ( If fit ) it Shankland. 

that would fill me with a lot of confidence. And get the best out players we have. 

england had a similar system at euro 96...  they played a back three of Adams, Pearce and Neville, so two full backs and one orthodox centre half.  Pearce and Neville would take turns to bomb forward and ince or Southgate would drop in to protect.  Their wingbacks were wingers... Anderton and mcmanaman.  

my temptation would be to play a 3-6-1 to accommodate all our midfielders with two half backs and two inside forwards to support the centre forward. 

Something like....

marshall

Hanley.   McKenna.  Tierney

armstrong.     Mctominay. Mcgregor.     Robertson

Mcginn.    Fraser

Mcburnie 

Guest ElChris04
16 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's the problem, it'd be any one of the eight or nine centre-halves we've used in the past couple of years, none of whom have exactly shone, I think it's probably fair to say.

There are some advantages to using a left-sided player on the right (it provides the opportunity to cut inside when attacking, being the most obvious one) but there probably are more drawbacks. Even so, for me, Tierney playing out of position at right-back is an improvement on our other options in that position, because at least he'd be able to defend.

In a 5 ATB formation I’d have either Forrest or Armstrong as the RWB. 

Forrest played and is playing as a wingback formation for us at Celtic currently and abeit he’s better as a winger he does that position very very well, especially tracking back. Armstrong @er yir macaroon mentioned could also be good with the reasons mentioned. 

but whatever happens I seriously hope Tierney is not played there, you’d be forcing a natural left footed player who absolutely hates playing on his right foot and has expressed it and depriving him of what he is good at, It wouldn’t make sense whatsoever, and like I said I’d even have Robertson over at RWB over him due to swapping with Alexander-Arnold during periods of each game and even he has more experience and that’s saying something.

It takes away that ability Tierney can bring if he can play as a LWB or for me the LCB. 

I don’t understand the tierney attraction at right back at all.  

Edited by ElChris04