Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 186 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

On 7/16/2020 at 11:47 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Very nervy game that was. Iceland probably did deserve a point in all honesty but of course we just about managed to hold on for the win.

Mad with all the f*** ups v likes of Faroes and Georgia that Iceland was always a nailed on six points in the qualifiers, 4 wins out of 4 I think? They had a decent core of premier league players in those days aswell.

Would probably be a different story nowadays although I imagine they're on their way down again after the last golden decade.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's even worse than Che Adams.

24 year old out on loan from Livingston to QoS or have I misread Wikipedia?

You misread it.

He was first team for Livingston last season, scored a number of goals for them including in the win against Celtic.

About November/December last year he gave an interview saying he  would love to play for Scotland which the usual types on here who have played far too much Football Manager jumped on and assumed that was that.

They ignored the fact he gave an interview to Australian media on almost the same day saying it was a dream of his to one day play for Australia.

Recently he said he was "pretty sure" on his international choice "but not 100%". What a bloody stupid thing to say. 

He's playing both Scotland and Australia along. I believe he'll pick the latter.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

LEeds up, at least we will have one centre half playing at the highest level

NEil lennon has had a public dig at Griffiths because of his physical condition

Unlikely Griffiths will play in the upcoming games.  I would plan without him.  Decent player but hardly available.  We really have nothing up front.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

LEeds up, at least we will have one centre half playing at the highest level

NEil lennon has had a public dig at Griffiths because of his physical condition

Should be interesting to see how he gets on, never watched him(apart from Scotland) but heres hoping he does well in the epl. Does anyone on here watch Leeds? Is he better than our other centre backs?

55 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Red card for Liam Henderson last night. Seems that Empoli were 2-0 up and lost 4-2. Think that ends their chance of promotion. Seems to be starting every game and doing ok.

Verona have done well this season so can't see him going back.

Sorry but he's 24 and playing for a team who are ninth in the second tier of Italian football,, probably better to keep an eye on Charlie Gilmour who is four years younger and playing for a team 10th in the Dutch 2nd tier tier.

We really have to get over this playing abroad makes you a decent player attitude.

Impossible to compare leagues but Barry Bnnan and Paul Gallagher are probably better than both of them.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sorry but he's 24 and playing for a team who are ninth in the second tier of Italian football,, probably better to keep an eye on Charlie Gilmour who is four years younger and playing for a team 10th in the Dutch 2nd tier tier.

We really have to get over this playing abroad makes you a decent player attitude.

Impossible to compare leagues but Barry Bnnan and Paul Gallagher are probably better than both of them.

a. I don't think I said "playing abroad makes you a decent player".

b. As this thread is 'Scottish Players in Action' I think it's fair to report on a player's progress without suggesting we should call him up.

c. I like Henderson and really want him to do well. Midfield is one area we are fine with and he's not high on the list but you never know

d. It is fantastic to see Scots players representing us in the top leagues. It's good to see.

e. I can keep an eye on more than one player and fingers crossed the number of Scots rising up across different leagues is great so I'm watching Gilmour, Hornby and Gauld amongst others.

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You misread it.

He was first team for Livingston last season, scored a number of goals for them including in the win against Celtic.

About November/December last year he gave an interview saying he  would love to play for Scotland which the usual types on here who have played far too much Football Manager jumped on and assumed that was that.

They ignored the fact he gave an interview to Australian media on almost the same day saying it was a dream of his to one day play for Australia.

Recently he said he was "pretty sure" on his international choice "but not 100%". What a bloody stupid thing to say. 

He's playing both Scotland and Australia along. I believe he'll pick the latter.

I think that what he is doing is perfectly sensible. He is eligible to play for both countries. He can't play for either until somebody picks him. It makes sense for him to keep both options open until he needs to make a decision. He may never get picked for either team in which case it's a decision he will never have to make. The only people who can force him to make that decision are the Scotland and Australia managers.

53 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

a. I don't think I said "playing abroad makes you a decent player".

b. As this thread is 'Scottish Players in Action' I think it's fair to report on a player's progress without suggesting we should call him up.

c. I like Henderson and really want him to do well. Midfield is one area we are fine with and he's not high on the list but you never know

d. It is fantastic to see Scots players representing us in the top leagues. It's good to see.

e. I can keep an eye on more than one player and fingers crossed the number of Scots rising up across different leagues is great so I'm watching Gilmour, Hornby and Gauld amongst others.

Regards A It wasn't you in particular.

Regards C I think he is already too old to go very far.

Regards D as far as I am aware Burke is just about the only player to have played any more than a couple of games in a top league

Regards B and E that is what the thread is about so thanks for not going of on a tangent about players 20 years ago and ones that probably don't even think about the possibility of a Scotland call up.

Sorry if it appeared that I was having a go at you, that was not the plan, and thank's for your contribution regarding players out of the spotlight we need more of it!

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Regards A It wasn't you in particular.

Regards C I think he is already too old to go very far.

Regards D as far as I am aware Burke is just about the only player to have played any more than a couple of games in a top league

Regards B and E that is what the thread is about so thanks for not going of on a tangent about players 20 years ago and ones that probably don't even think about the possibility of a Scotland call up.

Sorry if it appeared that I was having a go at you, that was not the plan, and thank's for your contribution regarding players out of the spotlight we need more of it!

Reading it back, I think I went a bit far, sorry! ☺

I think Henderson can play in serie A though. May not be for Verona but a promoted club may look at him.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Never seen dykes play but he’s scored about 20 league goals in Scotland and 17 for surfers paradise Apollo in Australia, grim for both countries he’s even in the discussion for a cap 

Tom English on the Sportsound podcast has said that an English Championship club he'd spoken to were interested in Dykes, more than Shankland. Felt he had more attributes.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Tierney has been class tonight playing in a 3 man defence. Might be food for thought for Clarke. 

An assist for the 2nd and a hand in the first. Looked great from the highlights. I'd read that he moves from CB when defending and LB when attacking 

Question is, do you play Tierney...

1. Left of 2 centre backs

2. Left of a back 3 (Robertson a wing back)

3. Right back

Just now, SkyBlueScot said:

An assist for the 2nd and a hand in the first. Looked great from the highlights. I'd read that he moves from CB when defending and LB when attacking 

Question is, do you play Tierney...

1. Left of 2 centre backs

2. Left of a back 3 (Robertson a wing back)

3. Right back

I would go with no. 3 and wait til see if arsenal can develop him into a permanent centre back. He looks like he could potentially play the position but it would be best to first try it in a friendly against quality opposition. 

The one time Tierney played LCB with Robertson LWB was in Haifa and it was a disaster. McLeish tried a back five that night that was composed entirely of players who played in a back four for their clubs.

Two years on, I've more faith in Clarke implementing a system that could accommodate them both in a back five.

16 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The one time Tierney played LCB with Robertson LWB was in Haifa and it was a disaster. McLeish tried a back five that night that was composed entirely of players who played in a back four for their clubs.

Two years on, I've more faith in Clarke implementing a system that could accommodate them both in a back five.

Did he not play there during the 2-2 game with england. Pretty sure he played OK as well if I remember right. Not suggesting we should necessarily play him there but it wouldn't hurt to try it in a friendly again. 

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Did he not play there during the 2-2 game with england. Pretty sure he played OK as well if I remember right. Not suggesting we should necessarily play him there but it wouldn't hurt to try it in a friendly again. 

Flat back four that day If memory serves correctly - which is not a given.

He did play well that day - apart from his brain fart needless touch on a ball that was going through to Craig Gordon anyway which led to the concession of the throw from which Oxlade-Chamberlain scored. Seriously though, he was sound that day.

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Flat back four that day If memory serves correctly - which is not a given.

He did play well that day - apart from his brain fart needless touch on a ball that was going through to Craig Gordon anyway which led to the concession of the throw from which Oxlade-Chamberlain scored. Seriously though, he was sound that day.

Back five v England that day. Tierney started with Berra and Mulgrew with Robertson and Anya as wing-backs 👍🏼

Tierney has now played for Arsenal as a left back, a wingback ahead of a 3 man defence, and as a left centre back of a 3. Arteta may well have solved a key issue for Clarke. Tierney was immense on the left of a 3 last night. 7 clearances, lots of praise for his positional awareness, with many reports crediting him with a significant role in restricting Man City to one shot on target. His distribution was excellent, with only 3 passes not completed and a direct assist for the second goal. Didn't really see it developing like this, but Tierney in a 3 does obviously allow us to play Robertson as a left wing back, with a bit less pressure on him defensively, knowing he has Tierney behind him. As long as a player like McTominay is playing in front of the defence, it provides defensive cover for our right wing back...