Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 181 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Are the Israel and Czech matches really friendlies and experiments for the semi final against Israel?

I think it was in the fans Q&A video that Steve Clarke recently said the two Israel games would be played very differently, so sounds like you are right.

14 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Jack Grimmer (an actual right back) has just been promoted to the Championship in England with Wycombe after winning the play-off at Wembley last night...

What age do you think he is?

How long has he played at right back? He was a midfielder when he left Aberdeen for Fulham

20 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Jack Grimmer (an actual right back) has just been promoted to the Championship in England with Wycombe after winning the play-off at Wembley last night...

13 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Fraser at right back - I haven't really considered that, his height would be an issue but it gives an attacking threat on that side that we might not get if we move Tierney there.  

It might, but it's solidity rather than introducing an attacking dimension that our defence far more urgently needs.

Tierney might not be offer the same attacking threat going forward on the right hand side, but he'd be a lot more solid defensively.

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It might, but it's solidity rather than introducing an attacking dimension that our defence far more urgently needs.

Tierney might not be offer the same attacking threat going forward on the right hand side, but he'd be a lot more solid defensively.

Do you think Fraser will be ready? On the positive he is having a good rest but he has not played competitive football since March and is still looking for a club. Depending on who he signs for he might not be first choice when he goes there. Somebody like Everton or spurs and he will have to work his way in. Would like to see him going to Southampton as they are a great counter attacking side ( best outside top 6, like Bournemouth used to be)  and would see him link up with Armstrong.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

O'Donnell is grim but Grimmer is grimmer.

Seriously this guy has been around the bottom leagues on loan more or less since he left Aberdeen. Coventry, Shrewsbury and now Wycombe. Could be a late developer but if we go down that route may as well use Paterson.

Didnt kick on with Fulham even when they were in the Championship.

Tom McIntyre in line to make his 4th appearance in a row for Reading today. Coincidentally the last 3 games that he's played Reading have kept a clean sheet. At only 21 and playing as a centre half at a decent level surely Clarke has to consider him for selection

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Seriously this guy has been around the bottom leagues on loan more or less since he left Aberdeen. Coventry, Shrewsbury and now Wycombe. Could be a late developer but if we go down that route may as well use Paterson.

I'm not saying he should play. Haven't seen him play, but he certainly seems to be regularly playing right full back in a team playing in the Championship in the next few months. I had him down as a journeyman midfielder about 30 but a 26 year old right back gives me pause for thought.

19 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Does anyone know if we have asked Ryan Fredericks to consider playing for us or has he already ruled us out? 

and is Che Adams a definate no-no ?  

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

He was excellent at Coventry.

46 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He was excellent at Coventry.

Think he is very good for Wycombe as well ( def in play offs ) , but they were third tier, interesting to see how he does in 2nd tier. Same goes for Michael Rose and Dominic Hyam who I think are more highly rated at Coventry.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

I agree. I used to think we could look at Tierney in midfield but our defence is priority. It seems criminal to lose some of what he offers but he's still the best we have there (although Palmer did a good job there last time out). I'd like to see us trying out some options with Tierney in a few roles. I know Alex Dyer recently said that there were several positions he could play.

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Fitness and a consistent run of games has been a huge improvement for him. Long may it continue. 

IIRC, Armstrong had to wait a long time for his chance under Hasenhuttl - to the point where I had concluded Hasenhuttl simply didn't want him and it was only a matter of time before he moved on.

The same happened with Shane Long. For weeks on end he wasn't even in the squad and then all of a sudden he was involved every week.    

Armstrong is now involved in almost every game; starting most of them.

Some stats...

https://www.southamptonfc.com/first-team/stuart-armstrong

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm not saying he should play. Haven't seen him play, but he certainly seems to be regularly playing right full back in a team playing in the Championship in the next few months. I had him down as a journeyman midfielder about 30 but a 26 year old right back gives me pause for thought.

It's a great story Wycombe being in championship but reality is they'll do well to finish anything other than rock bottom and their defensive record won't be pretty.

Would be massively surprised if Grimmer got ahead of Liam Palmer or Paterson. Only saw highlights but looked like Oxford wide players skinned him a few times.

3 hours ago, Rohan said:

Does anyone know if we have asked Ryan Fredericks to consider playing for us or has he already ruled us out? 

That has went very quiet, and it must be the best part of a year now since he was linked with us.

Assume media must have got ahead of themselves and he was either a name Clarke was given or they have met and he said no.

2 hours ago, stocky said:

and is Che Adams a definate no-no ?  

Been asked twice (maybe even 3 times) already and not interested.

He has hardly hit the ground running at Southampton, and if he does find his form, chances are he will knock us back again as he will hope to catch the eye for a England call up.

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Do you think Fraser will be ready? On the positive he is having a good rest but he has not played competitive football since March and is still looking for a club. Depending on who he signs for he might not be first choice when he goes there. Somebody like Everton or spurs and he will have to work his way in. Would like to see him going to Southampton as they are a great counter attacking side ( best outside top 6, like Bournemouth used to be)  and would see him link up with Armstrong.

Right enough, he'll probably withdraw from the next squad due to agoraphobia. 😏

Hopefully he'll have a club sorted out by the time the next squad is announced. I reckon he'd do well at Southampton too, considering how they play, but I'd like to see him go somewhere like Everton - for no other reason than I've a wee soft spot for them!

I wouldn't be playing him at right-back though, not with our centre-halves!

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

He's worth keeping an eye on, if only because we've so few options in that position, but I'd be surprised if he turned out to be upgrade on O'Donnell or Palmer.

16 minutes ago, wanderer said:

That has went very quiet, and it must be the best part of a year now since he was linked with us.

Assume media must have got ahead of themselves and he was either a name Clarke was given or they have met and he said no.

Been asked twice (maybe even 3 times) already and not interested.

He has hardly hit the ground running at Southampton, and if he does find his form, chances are he will knock us back again as he will hope to catch the eye for a England call up.

Has he though? The last I heard he said he wasn't ready to make a firm commitment on his international future (that was about a year ago). 

Edited by scotlad

51 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

It's a great story Wycombe being in championship but reality is they'll do well to finish anything other than rock bottom and their defensive record won't be pretty.

Would be massively surprised if Grimmer got ahead of Liam Palmer or Paterson. Only saw highlights but looked like Oxford wide players skinned him a few times.

It may have been the celebratory beers, but I saw a tweet from a Wycombe fan saying he had Browne in his pocket 🤷🏻‍♂️

34 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I still reckon Souttar could do a job at right back if we’re struggling. I now see Tierney playing left midfield, so that’s that settled. I’d probably go Hanley (or Findlay) and McKenna at centre half, although no doubt all of these players will be injured when it matters. 

The problem I have playing Tierney left midfield is that, with Robertson presumably at left-back both players have a natural attacking mindset. I can see a yawning gap on the left flank should we get caught on the counter-attack with both AWOL trying to set up an attack. They just do not compliment one another in those roles.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Has he though? The last I heard he said he wasn't ready to make a firm commitment on his international future (that was about a year ago). 

Malky MacKay asked him, ask did McLeish later on (think he met him at the same time he met McTormany) and Clarke has said he has had a word with him.... and all 3 have come back saying he is keeping his options open.... if Clarke has had the same response the other two have had over the previous two years, think that answers that question.