Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 180 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Looking at Tierney today he was playing almost as  a left winger, didn't see much defending from him, maybe that's the way to get him and Robertson into the same team. 4-4-2 Robertson left back Tierney left midfield. Right back, in the lap of the gods. 🙂

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Looking at Tierney today he was playing almost as  a left winger, didn't see much defending from him, maybe that's the way to get him and Robertson into the same team. 4-4-2 Robertson left back Tierney left midfield. Right back, in the lap of the gods. 🙂

Right back and centre half’s 8n lap of the gods....  just keep the ball down the left.

Marshall 

fuckknows   Hanley McKenna  robertson

fraser    Mctominay    McGinn    Tierney

Griffiths  mcburnie

options....   play fraser at right back

drop a striker and play fleck with McGinn off the front in a 4-4-1-1

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Right back and centre half’s 8n lap of the gods....  just keep the ball down the left.

Marshall 

Griffiths  mcburnie

I’d have Stuart Armstrong in the team, probably instead of Fraser in that line-up. I don’t see us playing two up front. Forrest and Christie also in contention for the RW slot. Maybe Christie can play as a striker, as has been suggested before. I would probably prefer Burke to McBurnie.

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Leeds all but up so Liam Cooper and Barry Douglas are two more Scots in premier league (unless Douglas gets sold again like he did at Wolves).

Think Douglas is a very decent left back but obviously playing in stacked position so would just come in if Tierney and Robbo are injured.

I don't really rate Cooper and think he'll be massively found out in premier league given how slow he is but at least that's a CB potentially playing week in week out in premier league and that's as rare as hens teeth these days.

Douglas was on bench today and has started five games all season, next person to mention him in this thread is getting a spanking.

Liam Copper has been an above average Championship defender for five seasons now, next year we will find out if he is actually any good. Fingers crossed time.

Stats say five years but the Leeds forum weren't  really behind him until about two and a half years ago, go's to show how hard it is to be objective about central defenders. Takes about 2 years to forget the shaky start most defenders have early in their careers

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Douglas was on bench today and has started five games all season, next person to mention him in this thread is getting a spanking.

To be fair to those of us who've mentioned him, it's just a simple statement that he looks to be part of a promoted championship team for a second time which, if he remains unsold, would mean another Scot in the EPL even though that may be a bit part. 

He has been injured a lot. Please don't spank me ☺

18 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Marshall 

Griffiths  mcburnie

Operation get all our best players in the starting XI...

Marshall

McTominay     McKenna     Tierney

Armstrong        McGinn        McGregor        Robertson

Forrest          McBurnie          Fraser

Christie and Griffiths just miss out.  Gilmour won't be out the team for too long.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Operation get all our best players in the starting XI...

Marshall

McTominay     McKenna     Tierney

Armstrong        McGinn        McGregor        Robertson

Forrest          McBurnie          Fraser

Christie and Griffiths just miss out.  Gilmour won't be out the team for too long.

Cooper ahead of McKenna for me is a no brainer , McTominay is probably our best central defender and Tierney could easily be our next best. We have a pool of midfielders so why not, certainly confuse opposition scouts. Gets rid of the need for a right back but cuts back on Robbertsons impact.

Seems obvious that to play our best we will have to play players out of their comfort zone.

Marshall

Tierney McKenna cooper robbo 

Mctominay Mcgregor 

Christie McGinn Armstrong 

Mcburnie

Fraser won’t be playing football for a while now, Armstrong has to start, I can’t see Clarke playing a 3 at the back. 

Edited by bigfingers

23 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’d have Stuart Armstrong in the team, probably instead of Fraser in that line-up. I don’t see us playing two up front. Forrest and Christie also in contention for the RW slot. Maybe Christie can play as a striker, as has been suggested before. I would probably prefer Burke to McBurnie.

Fraser at right back - I haven't really considered that, his height would be an issue but it gives an attacking threat on that side that we might not get if we move Tierney there.  

8 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Marshall

Tierney McKenna cooper robbo 

Mctominay Mcgregor 

Christie McGinn Armstrong 

Mcburnie

Fraser won’t be playing football for a while now, Armstrong has to start, I can’t see Clarke playing a 3 at the back. 

Quite like that, Christie and Armstrong are both better on the right side of midfield though.

Armstrong has scored against Man Utd tonight

Edited by ceudmilefailte

13 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Fraser at right back - I haven't really considered that, his height would be an issue but it gives an attacking threat on that side that we might not get if we move Tierney there.  

Not my suggestion! I’d never play Fraser there unless it was 5 at the back. Even then I’m still in the huff with him for reasons I can’t recall. 

On 7/12/2020 at 6:46 PM, Burj_Alba said:

Looking at Tierney today he was playing almost as  a left winger, didn't see much defending from him, maybe that's the way to get him and Robertson into the same team. 4-4-2 Robertson left back Tierney left midfield. Right back, in the lap of the god

Marshall

Mctominay.     McKenna.    Tierney

fraser.                               Mcgregor                           Robertson   

Armstrong                   Mcginn

Christie

Mcburnie

kind of like old Craig brown style....   by playing a wing back removes our weakest position.

Think the team for the Autumn matches will really depend on match fitness of the players. Our league begins in a couple of week so players should be six weeks into competitive action. The English leagues do not finish until end July / August (play offs) and then the Champions league and Europa League until mid August. So if they start 20/21 in September as planned then the players based in the South will still be getting match fit for the next Nations League. Think everybody should be up and running for the October match V Israel.

Are the Israel and Czech matches really friendlies and experiments for the semi final against Israel?

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Quite like that, Christie and Armstrong are both better on the right side of midfield though.

Armstrong has scored against Man Utd tonight

I watched That United team we had with the good young players coming through almost every week and  I always thought Armstrong was the most accomplished footballer, athlete with a superb attitude. He flew under the radar a bit with most of the talk being about Gauld and Robertson but he always looked destined for the top. Met him a few times and a very humble and  intelligent  young guy, the opposite of quite a lot of young players coming through the last few years. Sadly.  

And before anyone mentions it, yes,  that does make his utter brain fart against England even more inexplicable. 😂🙈

I think this comment on the Southampton forum might go a bit too far 😆...but I think it should help end the putting down of Scottish players in Scotland. I'm fed up of hearing the line, "if he was any good EPL (or top EPL) teams would putting in bids" as we have for Tierney, Forrest, McGregor and McGinn.

I said recently on here that Armstrong had gone from the £8m player that we bought him for, to a £30m+ player now. I reckon you can add another £5m after tonight. His goal was really well taken. He gets better every game.