Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 176 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

I also really like Christie and think he has to start. Clarke does have some nice problems to solve in midfield finding a system that can accommodate (including subs and tactical changes for different games) Christie, Armstrong, McTominey, McGinn, Fraser, and soon to be joined by Gilmour, who looks very likely to be soon an automatic pick for us imo.

Add in McGregor, Forrest, Jack, Fleck,  McLean, Burke, Phillips, Russell, Morgan and Johnston, it’s clear we have good international quality players to choose from in all the central midfield  areas and on the flanks plus strength in depth to cater for injuries and suspensions.

Throw in a fit Griffiths and our two first-class full backs (albeit left backs) and that looks like the makings of a decent European side. Yes, we have concerns over centre halves and no stand outs in the upcoming goalkeepers to take over from Marshall, but I’m more optimistic about Scotland now than I have been for almost 20 years. I know, it’s the hope that kills us.

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Shankland over McBurnie. 

Jack over McLean.

Gallagher and Findlay over Hanley.

Forwards debateable. Think both are talents, shankland needs to prove it this season and mcburnie probably isn't a 1 up front type, would be better with another striker but probably wouldn't get the chance of that with us.

McLean is a better player than Jack, but Jack is more versatile when we need cover.

Dint know about Gallagher enough, I rate Findlay highly and will be happy if Killie keep him for another season. Still think Hanley can be good if he has someone solid beside him. 

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Griffiths and christie start for scotland if fit. Mcgregor is back up, forrest should be back up but i suspect he will be starter.

Probably agree with this. When christie is at his best hes a great player. McGregor comes and goes q lot but a good option off the bench. 

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

This is always a subject for @PASTA Mick

Havent seen him post in a while

Not had much to talk about.

Very hard to pick our team at the moment. We are going to have to leave out some good players whilst starting some poor players because of the imbalance we have in the squad.

Personally, I think we need to find the best way to fit in Tierney, Robertson and Fraser.

I'm not too bothered who starts between McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, McTominay and McGregor. All are decent enough. Gilmour will be in that mix soon too. 

Forrest and Griffiths would usually be in my starting XI. I think Martin and McBurnie have a role to play. 

Keeper, right-back and centre-backs are the real problems. Tierney at RB and McTominay at CB would allow us to get more of our best players on the pitch at the same time but comes with obvious risks. 

14 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Not had much to talk about.

Very hard to pick our team at the moment. We are going to have to leave out some good players whilst starting some poor players because of the imbalance we have in the squad.

Personally, I think we need to find the best way to fit in Tierney, Robertson and Fraser.

I'm not too bothered who starts between McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, McTominay and McGregor. All are decent enough. Gilmour will be in that mix soon too. 

Forrest and Griffiths would usually be in my starting XI. I think Martin and McBurnie have a role to play. 

Keeper, right-back and centre-backs are the real problems. Tierney at RB and McTominay at CB would allow us to get more of our best players on the pitch at the same time but comes with obvious risks. 

'Martin'? Russell?

Where has this myth that McBurnie isnt interested in playing for Scotland come from becuase it doesnt stand it.

McBurnie played all through the Scottish youth system, went on a totally pointless and long end of season trip to Mexico to play meaningless friendlys with what was effectively a B squad and has turned up consistently to squads even though he hasnt always started or even came off the bench in games.

The boy made 1 daft joke with his mates that was caught on camera which on the face of it was derogatory of Scotland. However how many of us have slagged Scotland over the years. I reguarly joke that we are rubbish but doesnt stop me going to games or being less committed.

Question his ability if you must but lets not just make stuff up to suit our agenda.

You simply cant compare players playing in SPFL with those in EPL or any other top league. 

Shankland might score goals for fun but its against part time or journeymen. Even if he does it in the Prem, it will be against defenders of limited ability. Somebody like McBurnie is coming up against VVD or other internaitional defefeners for top nations week in week out. Obviously its harder for him to shine.

In the same way Findlay or Gallagher look decent in the Prem whereas Hanley has some questionable moments in the EPL. Difference is that Findlay is up against the likes of Dykes, Cosgrove etc whereas Hanley is up against Augero and Rashford.

Even things like how athletic a player is looks different. The slow defenders in the EPL are likely still faster than the fast players in SPFL. I remember thinking Robert Huth was a carthorse then seeing him in a pre season friendly where he looked rapid compared to everybody else.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Where has this myth that McBurnie isnt interested in playing for Scotland come from becuase it doesnt stand it.

McBurnie played all through the Scottish youth system, went on a totally pointless and long end of season trip to Mexico to play meaningless friendlys with what was effectively a B squad and has turned up consistently to squads even though he hasnt always started or even came off the bench in games.

The boy made 1 daft joke with his mates that was caught on camera which on the face of it was derogatory of Scotland. However how many of us have slagged Scotland over the years. I reguarly joke that we are rubbish but doesnt stop me going to games or being less committed.

Question his ability if you must but lets not just make stuff up to suit our agenda.

Yeh one throw away comment has condemned him to being hated. Society is becoming really sensitive. He constantly shows up for squads, to me he's committed albeit he's been poor when played but that's a different discussion. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh one throw away comment has condemned him to being hated. Society is becoming really sensitive. He constantly shows up for squads, to me he's committed albeit he's been poor when played but that's a different discussion. 

Exactly. It seems we dont judge people on actions anymore. The ironic thing is that there will be those in the TA elite who dislike him yet travel to the country of the game but remain in the pub cause they suddenly cant be arsed to go to the game, or turn up 15 mins etc.

I dont think he has been great for Scotland however is still young and inexperienced at that level. What is a fact though is that he is the forward who is playing at the highest lever week in week out and also the forward who has commanded the highest transfer fee.

People in football thought McBurnie was worth 20m and the same people dont think Shankland is worth spending 2-4m on. That says it all for me on where these players are at in this moment.

48 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Exactly. It seems we dont judge people on actions anymore. The ironic thing is that there will be those in the TA elite who dislike him yet travel to the country of the game but remain in the pub cause they suddenly cant be arsed to go to the game, or turn up 15 mins etc.

I dont think he has been great for Scotland however is still young and inexperienced at that level. What is a fact though is that he is the forward who is playing at the highest lever week in week out and also the forward who has commanded the highest transfer fee.

People in football thought McBurnie was worth 20m and the same people dont think Shankland is worth spending 2-4m on. That says it all for me on where these players are at in this moment.

Saying McBurnie was worth 20 mill but people not willing to pay 2-4 million for Shankland means those in the know believe McBurnie is far better - 5 to 10 times better is not how this works. There probably two dozen factors that go into a transfer fee - length of current contract, age, competition after that same player, league, state of financial of selling club, ambition of selling club, length of transfer window for selling club to get a replacement if needed, reluctance of player to be open to leave and probably a bunch I am not aware of. Shankland has performed consistently for the past three years - if he gets 15 goals in the Scottish Premiership this year, more caps and a few more international goals then there will be offers coming in for him, of that I have no doubt.

Edited by romanticscot

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

The "McBurnie doesn't want to play for us" thing is a myth.  We do have some serial puller-outers, but McBurnie isn't one of them.

You simply cant compare players playing in SPFL with those in EPL or any other top league. 

Shankland might score goals for fun but its against part time or journeymen. Even if he does it in the Prem, it will be against defenders of limited ability. Somebody like McBurnie is coming up against VVD or other internaitional defefeners for top nations week in week out. Obviously its harder for him to shine.

In the same way Findlay or Gallagher look decent in the Prem whereas Hanley has some questionable moments in the EPL. Difference is that Findlay is up against the likes of Dykes, Cosgrove etc whereas Hanley is up against Augero and Rashford.

Even things like how athletic a player is looks different. The slow defenders in the EPL are likely still faster than the fast players in SPFL. I remember thinking Robert Huth was a carthorse then seeing him in a pre season friendly where he looked rapid compared to everybody else.

I don't think its that simple.

Taking a look at our strikers. 

Griffiths - if he is fit and up for it mentally he gets the nod before everyone else. His eye for goal and set piece ability beats Mcburnie everyday of the week

Mcburnie - ok he is playing in a very tough league but he doesn't have the same eye for goal IMO. 

Shankland - I agree he needs to be tested at a higher level, I saw someone say he has scored goals at every level, not true. According to transfermarket site he hasn't even scored in the Scottish PRemiership yet. In saying that I do believe he has the potential to move on this season to something bigger. Fingers crossed he does and he grabs the chance

In defence, Hanley and Cooper haven't looked any better than Mckenna when playing for Scotland. 

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think its that simple.

of course it is not but it keeps getting trotted out time and time again. Also, if x was half decent then the likes of Sheffield Utd would pay £20m for him - again simplistic tosh.There are a host of reasons why players are playing for their current teams. As a football fan you simply have to look at their touch and their ability to know their level rather than thinking someone looks pretty decent but need a major club to make a hefty bid for him to justify your assessment. 

We will see how Shankland gets on next season and whether he has found his level or is on an upward trajectory. at the same time I wonder if McBurnie would score goals for fun for Dundee Utd - I very much doubt it. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Saying McBurnie was worth 20 mill but people not willing to pay 2-4 million for Shankland means those in the know believe McBurnie is far better - 5 to 10 times better is not how this works. There probably two dozen factors that go into a transfer fee - length of current contract, age, competition after that same player, league, state of financial of selling club, ambition of selling club, length of transfer window for selling club to get a replacement if needed, reluctance of player to be open to leave and probably a bunch I am not aware of. Shankland has performed consistently for the past three years - if he gets 15 goals in the Scottish Premiership this year, more caps and a few more international goals then there will be offers coming in for him, of that I have no doubt.

Im not saying McBurnie is 5 times better than Shankland. All im saying is that teams have extensive scouting networks. Every club in the UK will be aware of Shankland. Dundee utd have previously stated he wouldnt be sold for buttons but pretty much everybody was qouting around 3million being the price they would be looking at plus add ons.

Clubs didnt put in that level of offer. A club did however spend 20m on McBurnie. Do you think Sheffield Utd would spend 17m extra on McBurnie if they thought Shankland was better?

I rate Shankland but he is untested at even a decent level. Even if he scores goals in the Prem, thats still nowhere near the level of the EPL or any other major league.

As said previously, assesing somebodys ability is all relative. Somebodys touch might look great at one level but not good at a higher level. You only need to look at the difference in pace that McTomminy fires in his passes compared to other Scottish midfielders to see that. 

I play with an ex pro who is lightyears ahead of the rest of us in terms of touch and movement etc. He looks like a superstar but put him into Man Utd training and he would look like he had never seen a football before.

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

We will see how Shankland gets on next season and whether he has found his level or is on an upward trajectory. at the same time I wonder if McBurnie would score goals for fun for Dundee Utd - I very much doubt it. 

You doubt  a guy who scored 20+ goals in the English Championship would score goals in the Scottish Championship?

I really hope Shankland keeps on an upward curve, we will find out next season but so far McBurnie is twice the player

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

of course it is not but it keeps getting trotted out time and time again. Also, if x was half decent then the likes of Sheffield Utd would pay £20m for him - again simplistic tosh.There are a host of reasons why players are playing for their current teams. As a football fan you simply have to look at their touch and their ability to know their level rather than thinking someone looks pretty decent but need a major club to make a hefty bid for him to justify your assessment. 

If there was a Scottish striker playing in the league of Ireland or League of Wales and scoring on average 2 goals a game and looking brilliant. Miles faster and more skillful than the defenders.

Would you call them up ahead of Shankland? 

Im not saying McBurnie is 5 times better than Shankland. All im saying is that teams have extensive scouting networks. Every club in the UK will be aware of Shankland. Dundee utd have previously stated he wouldnt be sold for buttons but pretty much everybody was qouting around 3million being the price they would be looking at plus add ons.

Clubs didnt put in that level of offer. A club did however spend 20m on McBurnie. Do you think Sheffield Utd would spend 17m extra on McBurnie if they thought Shankland was better?

I rate Shankland but he is untested at even a decent level. Even if he scores goals in the Prem, thats still nowhere near the level of the EPL or any other major league.

As said previously, assesing somebodys ability is all relative. Somebodys touch might look great at one level but not good at a higher level. You only need to look at the difference in pace that McTomminy fires in his passes compared to other Scottish midfielders to see that. 

I play with an ex pro who is lightyears ahead of the rest of us in terms of touch and movement etc. He looks like a superstar but put him into Man Utd training and he would look like he had never seen a football before.

I see one of the local idiots has used a 'confused' emoji in response to this comment from yourself...but you are absolutely spot on, the higher the level a player plays at, the better he is, almost unconditionally.

If there was a Scottish striker playing in the league of Ireland or League of Wales and scoring on average 2 goals a game and looking brilliant. Miles faster and more skillful than the defenders.

Would you call them up ahead of Shankland? 

I'm sure there will be some dumpling in the junior leagues banging in 40 goals a season...get him called up

24 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I see one of the local idiots has used a 'confused' emoji in response to this comment from yourself...but you are absolutely spot on, the higher the level a player plays at, the better he is, almost unconditionally.

It wasnt me who did that but i dont think the person is an idiot for disagreeing with diamondscot. 

3 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

McBurnie scored 24 goals last season at English championship level and your suggesting he couldn't score goals in the Scottish Championship. I have been critical of mcburnie and I very much like shankland but mcburnie has proven so far in his career that he's a better player than shankland. That's obvious imo. 

Hopefully shankland shows how good he is this season and score loads in the spl. I think he can but it will depend on whether Dundee United can create enough chances or if he moves to another club that suits him.