Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 175 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

No, but I first saw him play when he was 17 for Reading U20s in a pre-season friendly and was very impressed.  At that time, Reading had about 4 players in the Scotland system, he was the youngest and was the standout.  I've been following his progress since.   If he develops into a competent Championship level centre back then he'll be better than anything we currently have.

We have competent championship level centre backs. Cooper, Hanley plus mckenna and souttar could easily play that level as well imo. What we need is a epl quality centre back. Even 1 would be a start. McIntyre will be probably be guaranteed a squad place if becomes a competent championship centre back. If he makes it in the epl then hes a guaranteed starter. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

We have competent championship level centre backs. Cooper, Hanley plus mckenna and souttar could easily play that level as well imo. What we need is a epl quality centre back. Even 1 would be a start. McIntyre will be probably be guaranteed a squad place if becomes a competent championship centre back. If he makes it in the epl then hes a guaranteed starter. 

Cooper and Hanley are not the answer.  McKenna could develop into something decent but he strikes me as a bit of a carthorse.

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

Cooper and Hanley are not the answer.  McKenna could develop into something decent but he strikes me as a bit of a carthorse.

Tbf I never said they were, they are competent English championship centres backs. We need a genuine epl centre back, hopefully McIntyre can develop into that. 

41 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf I never said they were, they are competent English championship centres backs. We need a genuine epl centre back, hopefully McIntyre can develop into that. 

Do Sky give you money off your bill for every time you bang on about "epl strikers" and "epl centre backs" ?

It's a league you clearly worship like a deity.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Do Sky give you money off your bill for every time you bang on about "epl strikers" and "epl centre backs" ?

It's a league you clearly worship like a deity.

I think your just pissed off that I suggested the fact that Che Adams and karlan grant would easily walk into our squads. 

The epl is top level football, I know alot of Scots are bitter about this fact, but the more players we have in this league the better. Especially if they manage to stay in that league. You have to have a certain level of ability to last in that league. That's not me suggesting that there are no good spl players or in other leagues for that matter. I have always praised the celtic players and they are easily good enough for the Scotland squad. Sadly very few players playing spl football are good enough for international football. This is just a fact, like it or lump it. 

There's a difference between worship and stating facts. 

Tierney was MoM again playing for Arsenal against Leicester tonight. He’s back fit and playing well. When both fit, Tierney and Robertson simply both have to start and it’s up to Clarke and his coaching team to find the best blend. Tierney left in a back three with Robertson lwb? Both playing on the left, one lb and the other left mid? Personally, I’d play Robertson lb and Tierney rb. In previous games at rb, even though it’s not his preferred side, he’s shown he’s by far and away better there than Palmer and O’Donnell. Imo, they’re currently our two best players.

32 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think your just pissed off that I suggested the fact that Che Adams and karlan grant would easily walk into our squads. 

The epl is top level football, I know alot of Scots are bitter about this fact, but the more players we have in this league the better. Especially if they manage to stay in that league. You have to have a certain level of ability to last in that league. That's not me suggesting that there are no good spl players or in other leagues for that matter. I have always praised the celtic players and they are easily good enough for the Scotland squad. Sadly very few players playing spl football are good enough for international football. This is just a fact, like it or lump it. 

There's a difference between worship and stating facts. 

this is the truth.  It’s not like the old days when there was not much between the premier league and English first division.  It’s vast now.  You just need to look at the turnover of the clubs to see that low EPL teams are bigger than anything in Scotland.  I’d pick a team full of epl, bundesliga and Laliga players if they were available.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

this is the truth.  It’s not like the old days when there was not much between the premier league and English first division.  It’s vast now.  You just need to look at the turnover of the clubs to see that low EPL teams are bigger than anything in Scotland.  I’d pick a team full of epl, bundesliga and Laliga players if they were available.

And what if those top level players just don't click or don't try hard enough at international level ? This has happened before.

What if the Scottish Premiership players adapt to the managers system better and put in more effort ?

7 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

Tierney was MoM again playing for Arsenal against Leicester tonight. He’s back fit and playing well. When both fit, Tierney and Robertson simply both have to start and it’s up to Clarke and his coaching team to find the best blend. Tierney left in a back three with Robertson lwb? Both playing on the left, one lb and the other left mid? Personally, I’d play Robertson lb and Tierney rb. In previous games at rb, even though it’s not his preferred side, he’s shown he’s by far and away better there than Palmer and O’Donnell. Imo, they’re currently our two best players.

it’s a conundrum and a good one to have.  Assuming tierney is fit and willing, I think you have to find a place for him.  If we are playing four at the back the obvious spot is right back.  He would be the best option we have for there but you lose his attacking ability.  Could play him at left centre back but not sure if we are playing two centre half’s.  If we play 4-4-2 that would be some left side with tierney in front of an overlapping Robertson.  Not so sure for a 4-5-1 where you need more inside forward types cutting in.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I would as well but I do think that celtic players are worth their places in the squad and first team. Celtic beat lazio home and away and would probably be just below mid table in the epl imo. Our squad should be mainly epl/celtic players plus a handful from the spl/English championship. 

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

And what if those top level players just don't click or don't try hard enough at international level ? This has happened before.

What if the Scottish Premiership players adapt to the managers system better and put in more effort ?

Its the managers job to get our top level players clicking together, if he can't get guys who play for man utd and Liverpool to play well against lesser and similar level sides then he shouldn't remain in the job. There's always going to be a few exceptions where an spl player shows he can do a better job than the epl player but for the most part we have to pick our squad from the strongest leagues and teams. 

What non celtic spl player would you say is a better choice than an scottish epl player?

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its the managers job to get our top level players clicking together, if he can't get guys who play for man utd and Liverpool to play well against lesser and similar level sides then he shouldn't remain in the job. There's always going to be a few exceptions where an spl player shows he can do a better job than the epl player but for the most part we have to pick our squad from the strongest leagues and teams. 

What non celtic spl player would you say is a better choice than an scottish epl player?

Shankland over McBurnie. 

Jack over McLean.

Gallagher and Findlay over Hanley.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

15 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

ive heard this, and the examples quoted are often the Dalglish, souness, Hansen...   I’m saying if all things being equal.  I think Naismith is possibly our best striker, certainly if you look at Scotland appearances. Difficult to pick him just now.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Shankland over McBurnie. 

Jack over McLean.

shankland is miles away yet... but I agree, mcburnie hasn’t impressed me.  Naismith better than both.  Griffiths too if he is fit.  Let’s be honest we have nothing up front.  4-6-0 is looking tempting.

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Shankland over McBurnie. 

Jack over McLean.

I don't like mcburnie but hes higher in the pecking order than shankland, amazing that ppl want a guy playing against part timers over a guy scoring against Tottenham. Shankland might go on to score goals in the spl but until he does then it mcburnie all day long. 

Jack is similar standard to McLean but OK I will give you that one. 

Sorry but gallagher and findlay are not better than Hanley, fair enough Hanley isnt alot better but he defo is better. McKenna would probably be closer to Hanley than those two you mentioned. 

Sorry buddy but you have managed to name one non celtic spl player that is better than our epl players and even then it's debatable. 

I definitely think we should still look at Scottish-based players, but it's totally crazy not to appreciate the EPL is the best league in the world that is prepared to regularly give Scots a chance. The gulf in average quality is huge between the English and Scottish leagues now, and it's getting larger every year. Getting as many young Scots as possible into the EPL is the most important thing for the immediate future of the Scotland National Team.  

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't like mcburnie but hes higher in the pecking order than shankland, amazing that ppl want a guy playing against part timers over a guy scoring against Tottenham. Shankland might go on to score goals in the spl but until he does then it mcburnie all day long. 

Jack is similar standard to McLean but OK I will give you that one. 

Sorry but gallagher and findlay are not better than Hanley, fair enough Hanley isnt alot better but he defo is better. McKenna would probably be closer to Hanley than those two you mentioned. 

Sorry buddy but you have managed to name one non celtic spl player that is better than our epl players and even then it's debatable. 

I am wounded. Not.

Btw McBurnie can't be arsed playing for us and will probably chuck internationals early. Shankland at least appreciates paying for his country.

I believe in religious tolerance. If you want to get on your knees everyday and worship the almighty English Premier League then knock yersel out.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I am wounded. Not.

Btw McBurnie can't be arsed playing for us and will probably chuck internationals early. Shankland at least appreciates paying for his country.

I believe in religious tolerance. If you want to get on your knees everyday and worship the almighty English Premier League then knock yersel out.

As I said there will be exceptions where the spl player is a better option, if mcburnie isn't interested then let shankland take his place. I like shankland and mcburnie has looked terrible in a Scotland shirt but hes earned his chance before shankland did and to try and claim shankland who was still playing the equivalent of non league football at the age of 24 should be given a chance before mcburnie got his chance is ludicrous to say the least. 

Its not worship to state facts. Our epl players are better than our spl players barring celtic. Thats common sense and isn't me worshipping the epl. 

Mcgregor is the only Celtic player that would be close to guaranteed start for me. Forrest is hot and cold, Christie is a talent but a bit like other lightweight luxury players probably to be used sparingly.  Brown on the other hand would be straight on the team sheet if he hadn’t packed in.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Mcgregor is the only Celtic player that would be close to guaranteed start for me. Forrest is hot and cold, Christie is a talent but a bit like other lightweight luxury players probably to be used sparingly.  Brown on the other hand would be straight on the team sheet if he hadn’t packed in.

Christie was one of our best players in the last few games we played. He worked very well with McGinn and got forward causing a lot of trouble for the other teams. To drop Christie would be bloody stupid.

Brown is finished.

I suspect club rivalry may have something to do with your wish to see so many Celtic players dropped ......

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Griffiths if fit is straight in the starting 11.

Christie has been more impressive than McGregor for Scotland.