Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 171 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tierney playing well again, arsenal have looked a much better side with him in it. We should be a bit more positive about our squad as it has some very good epl players playing for big clubs. 

It's as positive I've been in years and years...if we could find a centre back or two and a keeper, we'd be looking pretty good

30 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It's as positive I've been in years and years...if we could find a centre back or two and a keeper, we'd be looking pretty good

We would need to see more commitment from players IMO

35 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

And a striker or 2. The centre forward/striker area is shocking. Barring an if fit Griffiths we’ve got an ageing hardly clinical Naismith who won’t be around much longer then next to nothing imo.

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

And more confidence, we look like a  broken team in alot of games. Not surprising given the last 20 years of failure. 

This is so true. Robbo recently gave an interview where he compared Scotland to Liverpool and how players who have only been around for a couple of years can feel the weight of decades of failure on them. He was saying the Scotland players should try to shake that off as much as possible. It's not their fault we haven't qualified in 22 years. Something Klopp has worked on with the Liverpool team apparently. 

25 minutes ago, JECK said:

And a striker or 2. The centre forward/striker area is shocking. Barring an if fit Griffiths we’ve got an ageing hardly clinical Naismith who won’t be around much longer then next to nothing imo.

Countries our size rarely have players in every position playing in the top European leagues. I would be happy enough with two decent centre backs playing epl or equivalent. 

48 minutes ago, JECK said:

McBurnie is playing at as good a level as any striker we've had in 20years

24 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

This is so true. Robbo recently gave an interview where he compared Scotland to Liverpool and how players who have only been around for a couple of years can feel the weight of decades of failure on them. He was saying the Scotland players should try to shake that off as much as possible. It's not their fault we haven't qualified in 22 years. Something Klopp has worked on with the Liverpool team apparently. 

They also have a Scottish sports phycologist who was interviewed the other day pretty much saying the same thing

https://ttpo.substack.com/p/lee-richardson-scots-can-repeat-liverpool

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

32 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'd be amazed if Griffiths got a game for a top half epl side...and I say that as a big fan of his

Fleck plays for a top half epl team but I would still have Mcginn, Armstrong and mcgregor before him. Plenty of players who play for epl teams are rubbish. Also I can't see mcburnie lasting at a top half epl team in the long run, hes scored 4 goals in all comps this season. Sheffield United are looking like they will finish around 10th so they are mid table team and they have average players, celtic would probably beat them. I genuinely think mcburnie will drop back down to championship level in a couple of seasons as hes not good enough for the epl. 

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fleck plays for a top half epl team but I would still have Mcginn, Armstrong and mcgregor before him. Plenty of players who play for epl teams are rubbish. Also I can't see mcburnie lasting at a top half epl team in the long run, hes scored 4 goals in all comps this season. Sheffield United are looking like they will finish around 10th so they are mid table team and they have average players, celtic would probably beat them. I genuinely think mcburnie will drop back down to championship level in a couple of seasons as hes not good enough for the epl. 

Loads of supposition in there...I'd rather have a guy who is playing against top players every week, than a guy who is mostly playing against dug meat

We need an international quality striker.  Griffiths looks good in spl, but he is not even good enough to keep Édouard out the team at Celtic, but possibly the best we have.  decent set piece from memory.  To be fair we have not had a really good striker since the 80s.  I just don’t see it with mcburnie...  a poor mans joe jordan.  Doesn’t score many goals.  Our best striker is John McGinn.

We need a goal every two or three games striker.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Loads of supposition in there...I'd rather have a guy who is playing against top players every week, than a guy who is mostly playing against dug meat

Tbf I think we have argued this to death on here so i am happy to agree to disagree. I have no real beef with mcburnie and he will probably be a mainstay of our squad for many years so I wish him well. 

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We need an international quality striker.  Griffiths looks good in spl, but he is not even good enough to keep Édouard out the team at Celtic, but possibly the best we have.  decent set piece from memory.  To be fair we have not had a really good striker since the 80s.  I just don’t see it with mcburnie...  a poor mans joe jordan.  Doesn’t score many goals.  Our best striker is John McGinn.

We need a goal every two or three games striker.

I used til say the same about Griffiths but i genuinely think hes an underrated striker. He has goal record that is better than dembele and edouard, his record is nearly a goal every 1.5 games. Your saying he's not good enough to keep edouard out the team, there's no shame in that, edouard looks class and will play for a top club in Europe. I think he would be a good player for a lower half epl team if he keeps his mental health in check. Theres average strikers like pukki and callum Wilson who score goals in the epl and I think hes around the same level as those two. I would have him over any of our other options but Tbf we don't have a great deal of decent strikers. Hes 29 so we should be looking to get three or more years from him and he could be the key to us qualifying for the euros. His freekicks could make the difference in these upcoming games. 

Last time we had a really international class striker was the early/mid 90s and that was mccoist. Thats 24 years which is pretty terrible really. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I used til say the same about Griffiths but i genuinely think hes an underrated striker. He has goal record that is better than dembele and edouard, his record is nearly a goal every 1.5 games. Your saying he's not good enough to keep edouard out the team, there's no shame in that, edouard looks class and will play for a top club in Europe. I think he would be a good player for a lower half epl team if he keeps his mental health in check. Theres average strikers like pukki and callum Wilson who score goals in the epl and I think hes around the same level as those two. I would have him over any of our other options but Tbf we don't have a great deal of decent strikers. Hes 29 so we should be looking to get three or more years from him and he could be the key to us qualifying for the euros. His freekicks could make the difference in these upcoming games. 

Last time we had a really international class striker was the early/mid 90s and that was mccoist. Thats 24 years which is pretty terrible really. 

Callum Wilson is a terrific player. That said, Griffiths when fully fit and ready is a very good striker, and still our number one. I’m still hopeful over Hornby, and Burke is at least playing that role regularly at the highest level of the game.