Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 170 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Saw the second half and Tierney looked good, he’s got a wee burst of pace just before he crosses it to get away from his man and most of his crosses were good and in danger areas which you can’t ask much more of. If he stays and injury free, which is the key, their fans won’t like to hear it but i reckon a in the next year he could do better than Arsenal, I really do.

15 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Gilmour off at half time.  

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

Bit surprised by that, I thought he did quite well.

Probably the poorest performance I've seen from him, gave the ball away a few times, just silly stuff and not how he has been when I've watchedhim before. On the plus side, Mason Mount went off too and I honestly didn't realise he had been playing. Gilmour certainly has the ability and did some nice stuff too, just a bit too loose with the ball. Always looking for it too.

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

what Do we do about tierney... on the bench if not where?

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The relationships between clubs and international teams are going to become strained more than ever this coming season with all back log of fixtures. It’s going to be squad game more than ever so imagine there will be a lot more rotation involved. Not to mention the inevitable pull outs. I doubt any international team will be able to pick their best 11 consistently next season.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The relationships between clubs and international teams are going to become strained more than ever this coming season with all back log of fixtures. It’s going to be squad game more than ever so imagine there will be a lot more rotation involved. Not to mention the inevitable pull outs. I doubt any international team will be able to pick their best 11 consistently next season.

Normally, everyone but Scotland can churn out their best 11. 

Watching some of these closed door EPL games has put me off a back three as a template for the Scotland team. (Sorry Dark Knight). Thinking especially of Sheffield Utd. It was clear that the two flank players for Manchester were given oodles of space to run into where full backs should have been. Although McTom, McKenna and Tierney could be a good-looking back 3 for us we could be torn to shreds.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:15 AM, andyD said:

Speaking of the Scottish Messi.. Ryan Gauld.

7 goals in 7 games for Farense. Enjoying his best run of games since he went to Portugal. Across the last 12 games he's scored 50% of the team's goals, and the club look likely to be promoted straight back to Liga Nos. So two good things. #1 he's fit and seems to be staying fit. #2 he can still play a bit.

Long way from a call up of course.

Reading about Gauld. Captain, finished with 9 goals, promoted when league got called and Farense in second place. Sure to be Captain again in the Portuguese top flight. Still only 24. Recent interview, he’s saying he’s desperate to prove his worth in the coming season. Fair play, he’d have got a decent side back in Scotland, but dropped down a league in Portugal and captains them to promotion? I’m impressed. Says he’s had the best run of games and injury free for several years. Will be watching with interest when they start up again.

7 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Reading about Gauld. Captain, finished with 9 goals, promoted when league got called and Farense in second place. Sure to be Captain again in the Portuguese top flight. Still only 24. Recent interview, he’s saying he’s desperate to prove his worth in the coming season. Fair play, he’d have got a decent side back in Scotland, but dropped down a league in Portugal and captains them to promotion? I’m impressed. Says he’s had the best run of games and injury free for several years. Will be watching with interest when they start up again.

Yes, I can see him being called up if he avoids niggling injuries. He has such a sublime weight of pass to carve teams open. A bit like Davie Cooper had, but was not really given credit for. 

Guest ElChris04

Seen a good few folk jump on Gilmour on social media after his extremely poor performance against Leicester yesterday. Especially the Chelsea fanbase... 

aye, he lost the ball on a good few occasions which at this level you get punished for. It was a shocking performance? Harsh but it wasn’t great But it’s impossible to think everyone is going to have a MOTM performance every game, and yesterday’s match just wasn’t Billy’s game nor was it for many like mount. 

It was also his first game back since the resume and honestly I didn’t think he even looked fully match fit. He’s 19 years old and has all the ability in the world to become a top player. But players need time and shouldn’t be expected first game back to come in and play in a unfamiliar role as a 8 instead of his usual 6 and dominate. he’s a special talent, some fans need to give the kid a break. 

As for Tierney, for the most part absolutely brilliant performance yesterday. His crossing ability is absolutely exceptional and if arsenal could finish there chances he’s have bagged a few assists, but it’s class to see him performing again after that injury set back. 

Guest ElChris04

Also worth mentioning aswell as I watched the full game, Despite a lot of the stick he gets, McBurnie was fantastic against arsenal, won every single header and was a consistent danger throughout. hes been Sheffield Utd’s standout since the resume. 

could be worth considering to have a 2 Striker narrow formation of Griffiths and McBurnie by Clarke. Both could bounce of each other really well with the type of ST’s they are. McBurnie being a utility man helping feed balls to Griffiths. 

All in all his performances have been brilliant and despite how poor Sheffield have been, he’s been one of the few who have been very solid. 

Really glad to see Tierney back to playing again, and playing in a back three interesting........Truthfully I still can't see him and Robbo playing together in a system with a back three for us.  Can he play as a left central defender? We need to get the squad together and experiment in training with formations and moving people around.   

47 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Shame Mctominay isn’t getting more game time. We really need him playing matches from now until the play offs. 

He's been getting plenty of game time, squad rotation is going to happen when teams are playing every few days. He's started 2 games and been subbed on twice since the restart. We also have Mcginn whos played in all of villas games. Our midfield options are strong as we still have guys like fleck, Armstrong and McLean playing epl since the restart. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:00 AM, er yir macaroon said:

Normally, everyone but Scotland can churn out their best 11. 

This, in a nutshell, is why I've barely been following TAMB discussions for the past year or two.

The Kazakhstan game, we're nobody bothered going (players, not fans) and we got slaughtered by nobodies, was the clincher for me.

Hopefully we can find a squad of players that take the international game as seriously as just about everyone else seems to do. How many caps does Cristiano Ronaldo have? If he can do it, why can't Ryan Fraser?

6 hours ago, COLT NY said:

This, in a nutshell, is why I've barely been following TAMB discussions for the past year or two.

The Kazakhstan game, we're nobody bothered going (players, not fans) and we got slaughtered by nobodies, was the clincher for me.

Hopefully we can find a squad of players that take the international game as seriously as just about everyone else seems to do. How many caps does Cristiano Ronaldo have? If he can do it, why can't Ryan Fraser?

Well Fraser won't get many at major finals which gives Ronaldo an unfair advantage.😉

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well Fraser won't get many at major finals which gives Ronaldo an unfair advantage.😉

Ronaldo might not have got many at major finals either, if he couldn't be bothered to play in the qualifiers. ;)