Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 162 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

17 hours ago, andyD said:

Forrest has probably the worst return of any player in the national team I can remember. For the caps he's had his influence on games has been dire. Scored in just 2 caps and only has 3 assists. From 34 caps as a forward player. He's player against Lichtenstein, Malta and Lithuania twice, Qatar, San Marino twice.. from all those games together he has 1 assist. He had 2 matches where everything just dropped for him, and since then he's reverted to normal and not looked a threat in 8 appearances since.

Brian McClair. Considering what he achieved domestically and the players he had around about him in the Scotland squad.

59 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Palmer played for Sheff Wed but they got a doing, 5 skud off Brentford. Would Paul Mcginn at hibs be an option at right back? Fancy Jack could do a job there but struggled of late for full match fitness and form. Mcginn surely better than O'Donnell, but not saying much... 

Wednesday's problems are not down to Palmer. That they held Man City to 1 goal and then ship 5 to Brentford kinda signposts the issue. There's a lack of organisation and lack of coherence to the team, it's not a question of individual ability.

I wouldn't drop a guy just because his club side lost one game.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

Wednesday's problems are not down to Palmer. That they held Man City to 1 goal and then ship 5 to Brentford kinda signposts the issue. There's a lack of organisation and lack of coherence to the team, it's not a question of individual ability.

I wouldn't drop a guy just because his club side lost one game.

Oh of course, wasn't suggesting it was. I'd have had Souttar in the squad if not for the injury despite the shitshow that has been Hearts season. 

Wednesday seem to have had a pretty poor season, mind you, so like most of the team, particular in defence, he probably isn't doing well. I guess he could be one of their few positives in a disappointing season who is being let down by his team-mates, but I couldn't tell you. Certainly, we have little option but to include him in the squad, but that does not change the fact that we have a dearth of talented options in that area. 

21 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Oh of course, wasn't suggesting it was. I'd have had Souttar in the squad if not for the injury despite the shitshow that has been Hearts season. 

Wednesday seem to have had a pretty poor season, mind you, so like most of the team, particular in defence, he probably isn't doing well. I guess he could be one of their few positives in a disappointing season who is being let down by his team-mates, but I couldn't tell you. Certainly, we have little option but to include him in the squad, but that does not change the fact that we have a dearth of talented options in that area. 

We’ve been pretty unfortunate in the full-back area in the past 10 years.......

Five to ten years ago, we had an abundance of decent right backs - Bardsley, Hutton, Whittaker, if I remember correctly - but no left backs, so one of the right backs had to step across. Now the problem has reversed, with Robertson and Tierney.

It’s unlucky that we can’t get one on each side at the same time! I’m sure lots of other small nations have the same problem. In fact, it’s probably one of the frustrations of international football in general, you can’t go out and sign players to balance things up. Even a country as big as England had the same problem for a lot of years, including their ‘Golden Generation’ where they had loads of right-sided midfielders, but couldn’t find a left-sided one. (Even more frustrating for them, given the fact that Ryan Giggs had played for England in some younger age groups.)

14 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

It's probably our weakest positon, yeah.

Wednesday have been weird. 3rd at xmas.. but have only won 2 games since and so plummeted down the table. The manager has frozen out 3 of the biggest players and Fletch got injured at the same time. the manager seems to be the problem, tho as is always the case when a team is struggling, the players could do more than they are.

Don't think Palmer's had a notably good season, nor a notably poor season. He did seem to be linking up well with Ryan Christie last time out, and put in 3-4 balls that should really have been put away. So in the absense of any season competition, I figure he keeps the shirt until he actually does something wrong, much as Hutton did (for about 5 years).

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Forrest has been in decent form of late and has had a good season, adding a degree of versatility to his game and putting in some good showings in Europe. 

He's been largely rotten ever since Celtic switched up to a 3-5-2. I'd obviously still play him for the reason you mentioned mind.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

8 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Who said that?

Literally a few hours before you. :D

On 3/10/2020 at 11:15 AM, andyD said:

Speaking of the Scottish Messi.. Ryan Gauld.

7 goals in 7 games for Farense. Enjoying his best run of games since he went to Portugal. Across the last 12 games he's scored 50% of the team's goals, and the club look likely to be promoted straight back to Liga Nos. So two good things. #1 he's fit and seems to be staying fit. #2 he can still play a bit.

Long way from a call up of course.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

I wouldn't, he was awful in the period between injuries this season, the fact we have looked a lot more solid since Dikamona has replaced him says a lot.

Was genuinely excited about a back 4 at Hearts of Smith, Halkett, Souttar and Hickey at the start of the season, Souttar and Halkett along with Berra are a big part of the reason we are in the current mess. 

10 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

I wouldn't, he was awful in the period between injuries this season, the fact we have looked a lot more solid since Dikamona has replaced him says a lot.

Was genuinely excited about a back 4 at Hearts of Smith, Halkett, Souttar and Hickey at the start of the season, Souttar and Halkett along with Berra are a big part of the reason we are in the current mess. 

Aye, he hasn't been great. 

His inclusion would have spoken more to the atrocious alternatives, or lack thereof, rather than anything else. 

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

. Would Paul Mcginn at hibs be an option at right back? Fancy Jack could do a job there but struggled of late for full match fitness and form. Mcginn surely better than O'Donnell, but not saying much... 

Fun bit of trivia.   When Andy Robertson was playing left back at Queens Park, Paul McGinn was the right back.

Just now, aaid said:

Fun bit of trivia.   When Andy Robertson was playing left back at Queens Park, Paul McGinn was the right back.

Aw naw, another excuse for the media to reheat their Andy Robertson/Queens Park articles. Forget I mentioned it! 

9 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Would Paul Mcginn at hibs be an option at right back? Fancy Jack could do a job there but struggled of late for full match fitness and form. Mcginn surely better than O'Donnell, but not saying much... 

Watched a lot of McGinn when he was at St Mirren and probably would’ve been called up had he not been in a team constantly fighting off relegation particularly with our lack of options there.

He’s steady defensively but offers much more than O Donnell going forward, not a massive upgrade but an upgrade nonetheless.

21 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

No need for comments like that against specific Scotland players. How would you even judge something like that anyway?

Somebody has to be the worst surely? I don't agree with him but you really need to stop acting so precious and offended over criticism of players.

8 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Somebody has to be the worst surely? I don't agree with him but you really need to stop acting so precious and offended over criticism of players.

There’s no reason to be criticising Scotland players in that manner though - particularly current Scotland players.

Sensible debate over who should be playing in a particular position is one thing, but labeling a current player as ‘our worst international footballer in our history’ is going way too far.

1 minute ago, dohadeer said:

There’s no reason to be criticising Scotland players in that manner though - particularly current Scotland players.

Sensible debate over who should be playing in a particular position is one thing, but labeling a current player as ‘our worst international footballer in our history’ is going way too far.

You seem to have a habit of telling people what they can and can't say. 

3 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

You seem to have a habit of telling people what they can and can't say. 

The level of abuse on this message board towards other human beings is way over the top. I think that it’s important to speak up and say ‘be nice,’ rather than stand by and do nothing!