Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 160 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

3 hours ago, bigfingers said:

From the latest DR article it looks like gemmill wants to pick him and Clarke wants to pick him. Only natural I guess. I think he will be in both squads. Not sure when the under 21 game is though. 

U21s play the day after the Israel game and the same day as the final

6 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Doh , watch that interview posted of billy . Grado calls him the Scottish Messi . 

Hahaha, seriously?!!

Let me check the terms and conditions of Billy Gilmour bingo and see if that counts, or if it has to be an actual comparison to Messi, without the word ‘Scottish’ in front.

47 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I guess to calculate the risk you have to look at him in comparison to who would miss out because of him? Kenny McLean? I mean, he is solid, but he cannot do what Gilmour has done in the last week. I'm willing to bet Gilmour can do what McLean does when he's not on top form.

I think that - as usual - people on here are being a bit disrespectful to some of our other players, by saying how easily they should be dropped for Gilmour. Kenny McLean seems to be an easy target for that, given that he plays for Norwich and Gilmour plays for Chelsea.

The fact that Kenny McLean has played around 350 MATCHES in his career, and Billy Gilmour has only played around 350 MINUTES, does count for something. (Not saying that fact alone would sway the decision in McLean’s favour, just saying that it’s not quite the non-decision that some people on here are making out.)

Speaking of the Scottish Messi.. Ryan Gauld.

7 goals in 7 games for Farense. Enjoying his best run of games since he went to Portugal. Across the last 12 games he's scored 50% of the team's goals, and the club look likely to be promoted straight back to Liga Nos. So two good things. #1 he's fit and seems to be staying fit. #2 he can still play a bit.

Long way from a call up of course.

9 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I think that - as usual - people on here are being a bit disrespectful to some of our other players, by saying how easily they should be dropped for Gilmour.

Nothing disrespectful about being dropped in favour of a better player.

I'm sure some stalwarts had to make way for the teenage Pele or Maradona, or Denis Law....

Edited by Toepoke

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

I'm sure some stalwarts had to make way for the teenaged Pele or Maradona, or Denis Law....

Exactly. I like McLean. He's a good player. But in his 350 games has he done what Gilmour has done in his last two? I think even Kenny would admit that the answer is no.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'm sure some stalwarts had to make way for the teenaged Pele or Maradona, or Denis Law....

Exactly - he's old enough if he's good enough and no disrespect to McLean but there's a reason why the vast majority of his 350 appearances were for St Mirren and Aberdeen.

He's 28 and still played less than 50 games for Norwich (majority of them in Championship)

Gilmour is a class above.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Agreed, I was just making the point as someone asked for examples. Pretty sure that was when Rooney was just coming back from a broken metatarsal, wasn’t 100% fit and ended getting sent off v Portugal 👍🏼

Oh yeah... that was when he stomped on Ronaldo's baws. Great times. 

Edited by thplinth

14 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I think that - as usual - people on here are being a bit disrespectful to some of our other players, by saying how easily they should be dropped for Gilmour. Kenny McLean seems to be an easy target for that, given that he plays for Norwich and Gilmour plays for Chelsea.

It's disrespectful to drop a player for a better player? Good grief. I hope the management don't have that view or we're properly screwed of the forseeable future.

As for McLean, he's been a liability in just about every game he's played for the national side. He can't defend and doesn't have the workrate or quality needed for international level central midfield. He's a decent championship level player, nothing more. That's not disresectful, it's reality. He's never going to play for Real, and it's not disrespectful to say so.

3 minutes ago, andyD said:

It's disrespectful to drop a player for a better player? Good grief. I hope the management don't have that view or we're properly screwed of the forseeable future.

As for McLean, he's been a liability in just about every game he's played for the national side. He can't defend and doesn't have the workrate or quality needed for international level central midfield. He's a decent championship level player, nothing more. That's not disresectful, it's reality. He's never going to play for Real, and it's not disrespectful to say so.

That’s not what I said.

I meant that some of the comments about McLean and Shinnie have been disrespectful. It’s possible to big up Billy Gilmour without being disrespectful to other Scottish players along the way.

42 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

That’s not what I said.

I meant that some of the comments about McLean and Shinnie have been disrespectful. It’s possible to big up Billy Gilmour without being disrespectful to other Scottish players along the way.

I am certain even Shinnie and McLean would readily agree that Gilmour is a better player than them.

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It will be bloody baffling.

Picture it - we are 1-1 against Israel with 15 minutes to go and on the bench we have Graham Shinnie or McLean to bring on when it could have been Billy Gilmour.

Even worse Ryan Jack or James Forrest 👍

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Speaking of the Scottish Messi.. Ryan Gauld.

7 goals in 7 games for Farense. Enjoying his best run of games since he went to Portugal. Across the last 12 games he's scored 50% of the team's goals, and the club look likely to be promoted straight back to Liga Nos. So two good things. #1 he's fit and seems to be staying fit. #2 he can still play a bit.

Long way from a call up of course.

It's actually 8 in 7 which is pretty impressive for a midfielder at any level.  Would really like to see him playing at a higher level with a club that plays him in his best position. 

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

That’s not what I said.

I doubt they are reading this. 

Shinnie should be nowhere near our squad. 

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In all honesty would sooner have Jack and Forrest to bring on over Shinnie or McLean. Still take Gilmour over any of them.

How many caps has Forrest got, how many games has he been absolutely dire, he did have a run of 2 games where he was outstanding but normally a wasted jersey.

5 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

How many caps has Forrest got, how many games has he been absolutely dire, he did have a run of 2 games where he was outstanding but normally a wasted jersey.

So are you saying you'd take Shinnie or McLean over Forrest? If so I seriously doubt your sanity. Forrest 5 goals for us in 34 caps. Shinnie and McLean combined caps of 16 with 1 goal.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So are you saying you'd take Shinnie or McLean over Forrest? If so I seriously doubt your sanity. Forrest 5 goals for us in 34 caps. Sinnie and McLean combined caps of 16 with 1 goal.

Forrest’s 5 goals came in the 2 games I said he was outstanding, the other 32 games he was totally anonymous. I never said Shinnie or McLean were better players but you normally notice them during a game whereas Forrest can be invisible.

1 minute ago, RDFH64 said:

Forrest’s 5 goals came in the 2 games I said he was outstanding, the other 32 games he was totally anonymous. I never said Shinnie or McLean were better players but you normally notice them during a game whereas Forrest can be invisible.

So you admit they are worse players but yet you'd still have them in the team? 😲 That is Craig Levein logic right there.

2 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Shinnie was hard to ignore in Kazakhstan. 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So you admit they are worse players but yet you'd still have them in the team? 😲 That is Craig Levein logic right there.

I didn’t say I would have them in the team, I was trying to point out that others have been no better than them but continuously get picked. Shinnie was awful in Kazakhstan but so were the midfielders in front of him & the managers tactics. 

28 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

So that sounds very much to me that you'd have Shinnie or McLean in the side above Forrest. Unless you want to add that they are a wasted jersey too. Incidentally, we would not be in this play-off if it were not for Forrest's goals.