Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 154 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

47 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

There is plenty time to build a team round him. He's only 18 and still got 15 years left of his career. We don't have any friendlies and if he plays he would be thrown into an intense atmosphere. What happens if he doesn't perform to the same level as the past 2 games? Does he drop back to the under 21s?

He’s played v Liverpool and Everton where the atmosphere has hardly been like a library.  Friendlies are also pretty pointless as they don’t really show anything given half the team pulls out, crowds are flat and the Nations League doesn’t start until September.  By then he could be back as fifth/sixth choice at Chelsea and end up long term with a career like Josh McEachran. 

However, for international squads you surely pick your form players at that given window which he certainly is.  There is absolutely no way he is not in our top 6 centre midfielders as it stands.  If we were France or England I could see the sense as he’d have far more competition to see if he could do it over a couple of seasons or on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke.  In terms of Scotland though we’re pretty sh*t so if he’s good enough for Chelsea’s first team now he is good enough for us to give him a chance and that's before him totally bossing the last two games.    

He’s been tested in the last two games and come out with glowing results against much tougher teams than Israel.  McGregor will probably start though and the last game he was tested in was probably Copenhagen where he got outplayed by a midfield more comparable with the quality of the countries we’re about to face. 

This could arguably be our best chance in 20 years to qualify and we’re honestly considering not playing a youngster nearly every nation on earth at the moment would want to be theirs – mind boggling.  Robbie Keane was 18 and Bale and Ramsay 17 so surely should be if you’re good enough you’re old enough.    

21 minutes ago, sandyb said:

Gilmour has been around for ages and has been dealing with hype at Chelsea and Scotland for the past 12 months. If he was English he would be in their squad. If Clarke does not pick him he needs sacked.

Are there many 18 year old midfielders that have played 2/3 first team games for their club in the England squad?

I'm not saying Gilmour shouldn't be in the squad but I think you may be wrong about him being selected for England right now if he was English and saying Clarke should be sacked of he doesn't pick him for this squad is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Are there many 18 year old midfielders that have played 2/3 first team games for their club in the England squad?

I'm not saying Gilmour shouldn't be in the squad but I think you may be wrong about him being selected for England right now if he was English and saying Clarke should be sacked of he doesn't pick him for this squad is ridiculous.

I think that Hudson Odoi played for England before he started a game in the Premier League.  

5 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think that Hudson Odoi played for England before he started a game in the Premier League.  

You might be right but he was only called into the England squad because of injuries. He is also eligible for Ghana so that might also have had something to do with it.

If Gilmour is selected for the U21 squad I'm sure Clarke would promote him to the full squad if we have some midfield withdrawals.

Guest ElChris04

If Gilmour isn’t picked I’ll genuinely lose all faith In Clarke. 

he’s good so he’s old enough and we should be fuckin grateful we have a player of such a young age with his ability and thus should be rolling him into the team. 

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

he’s good so he’s old enough and we should be fuckin grateful we have a player of such a young age with his ability and thus should be rolling him into the team. 

Ditto.  I'm hoping this is just some crude media ploy to whip the fans into a frenzy before the squad is announced so that Gilmour is called up.

If it isn't and he ends up in the U21s we're basically telling the world that whatever game the U21s have is more important than our best chance for donks of playing at a major finals.  

After Robertson, Gilmour is currently playing at the highest level possible than any other of our available squad choices!!  Not calling him up to the main squad is unthinkable and would be the official, laminated rubber stamp seal of Tin Pot that the SFA seem to be striving to achieve.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I literally couldn't care less if the 21s win or lose, it's a pathway to the full team and nothing more.

If he's good enough (which he is) then get him called up.

I am of the same opinion as you regarding the u21s but I'm guessing Scot Gemmill and the SFA have a slightly different view.

Clarke has likely been asked if he is looking to call up Gilmour and if he did would he be looking to start him against Israel. If Clarke isn't planning on starting him then the SFA will likely have the view that Gilmour would be better starting against Croatia than sitting on the bench against Israel. If Gilmour is selected by Clarke but doesn't get any game time and the u21s lose narrowly to Croatia then I suppose questions would be asked.

Depends how keen Clarke is to have Gilmour in the squad I suppose.  Hopefully he'll put his foot down and put Gilmour straight into the full squad.

I'm at work so have only had a quick look online but I can't see anything concrete that would suggest any decision has been made. Looks to be just Twitter bollocks at the moment.  Clarke isn't announcing his squad until next week so surely he would want to watch Gilmour against Aston Villa on Saturday (if he plays) before making his decision?

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Clarke has likely been asked if he is looking to call up Gilmour and if he did would he be looking to start him against Israel. If Clarke isn't planning on starting him then the SFA will likely have the view that Gilmour would be better starting against Croatia than sitting on the bench against Israel. If Gilmour is selected by Clarke but doesn't get any game time and the u21s lose narrowly to Croatia then I suppose questions would be asked.

I would highly doubt that playing for the u21s, where he is clearly a class above, would benefit him more than training with the full squad. He is already training with and starting games alongside top internationals.

Think of the boost it would give the younger players coming through as well... knowing if they put the hard graft in and take their chances they will come into consideration regardless of age.

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I am of the same opinion as you regarding the u21s but I'm guessing Scot Gemmill and the SFA have a slightly different view.

Depends how keen Clarke is to have Gilmour in the squad I suppose.  Hopefully he'll put his foot down and put Gilmour straight into the full squad.

I'm at work so have only had a quick look online but I can't see anything concrete that would suggest any decision has been made. Looks to be just Twitter bollocks at the moment.  Clarke isn't announcing his squad until next week so surely he would want to watch Gilmour against Aston Villa on Saturday (if he plays) before making his decision?

True, but you could also argue that not having Gilmour on the bench for the Israel game is a risk!  Any injuries to our midfiled occur and whoever comes on has a mare and we lose people will rightly ask 'well wtf was Gilmour doing in the U21s?'  so it could work both ways.

Any how, if Gemmill is making noises about not having Gilmour he should be put firmly back in his box asap or tolf to do one.  The U21s are there to supplement the A squad, end of

Guest ElChris04
21 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Ditto.  I'm hoping this is just some crude media ploy to whip the fans into a frenzy before the squad is announced so that Gilmour is called up.

If it isn't and he ends up in the U21s we're basically telling the world that whatever game the U21s have is more important than our best chance for donks of playing at a major finals.  

After Robertson, Gilmour is currently playing at the highest level possible than any other of our available squad choices!!  Not calling him up to the main squad is unthinkable and would be the official, laminated rubber stamp seal of Tin Pot that the SFA seem to be striving to achieve.

Absolutely spot on. 

44 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

We never agree on anything but I agree with you here

If Gilmour isn't picked, Clarke will be making a massive mistake. 

I really hope this is nonsense from the DR

16 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Who has the final say??... Clarke, the SFA or gemmill?? They probably all have different opinions on it. Guess we'll find out tomorrow. 

Clarke should trump them all.

10 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Who has the final say??... Clarke, the SFA or gemmill?? They probably all have different opinions on it. Guess we'll find out tomorrow. 

Clarke I would assume. The SFA can make recommendations I would guess but Clarke is in charge of the senior squad and he decides who is in it. Gemmill will do as he's telt.

I'm pretty sure the squad will be announced next Tuesday and not tomorrow?

34 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

True, but you could also argue that not having Gilmour on the bench for the Israel game is a risk!  Any injuries to our midfiled occur and whoever comes on has a mare and we lose people will rightly ask 'well wtf was Gilmour doing in the U21s?'  so it could work both ways.

Any how, if Gemmill is making noises about not having Gilmour he should be put firmly back in his box asap or tolf to do one.  The U21s are there to supplement the A squad, end of

Totally agree. I was just stating what I think will happen behind closed doors at Hampden. You know what the SFA are like - backwards thinking stuffed shirts.

37 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

I would highly doubt that playing for the u21s, where he is clearly a class above, would benefit him more than training with the full squad. He is already training with and starting games alongside top internationals.

Think of the boost it would give the younger players coming through as well... knowing if they put the hard graft in and take their chances they will come into consideration regardless of age.

I was more thinking of the benefit to the U21s than to Gilmour's development. I 100% agree that Gilmour should be in Clarke's squad and I doubt a decision has been made.

If Gilmour runs the show again against Villa on Saturday then there's no way he can be left out of the senior squad surely?

5 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Is there is a reason he couldn't be in both squads?

Join the first team and see how he gets on.  If he features against Israel, great.  If not, he can join the u21s the next day to play against Croatia. 

Other than the fact he would be missing the U21 training drills and team meetings etc. then probably not. I'm sure similar things have happened before.