Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 153 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 minute ago, dohadeer said:

Ok, I’ll probably get pelters for this, but I don’t really follow the youth structures or anything like that. What are the performance schools? How are they different/better to what we have done in the past? Why would they allow us to suddenly produce a level of players way beyond what we have ever done before?

Genuinely interested, as there have been some hugely optimistic claims in the past few pages of this thread.

Do you follow anything?

Genuine question - when was the last time you watched a full game of football?

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Do you follow anything?

Genuine question - when was the last time you watched a full game of football?

For a full 90 minutes, probably the last Scotland match, unless I’m forgetting any obvious big games since then, or forgetting any games that I had a big bet on.

I don’t have any club allegiances - other than hating Manchester United - so I find it fairly boring to watch a full 90 minutes if I’m not invested in which team wins. I usually just check the results, and watch the 5-minute goals/highlights clips.

Acceptable reasons for not calling Billy Gilmour - or any young player - up to the full squad.

1. He's not ready yet.
  2. Its the wrong game for him to make his debut
  3. There are better options available in his position.

Unacceptable reasons for not calling him up.

1. The Under 21s have important games at the same time. 

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

Acceptable reasons for not calling Billy Gilmour - or any young player - up to the full squad.

1. He's not ready yet.
  2. Its the wrong game for him to make his debut
  3. There are better options available in his position.

Unacceptable reasons for not calling him up.

1. The Under 21s have important games at the same time. 

Well for acceptable reasons in answer to No 1 if he is ready for EPL matches and man of the match performances to boot one of which against the European Club Champions then he is certainly ready for Scotland. Answer to No 2 how is it the wrong game? He has shown he can perform at the highest level in club football with a very level-head. No 3 that is debateable and there certainly aren't 4 or 5 better options than him to keep him out of the squad.

As for unacceptable reasons then I agree. The full level must come first. That is the most important game for the national squad for a number of years.

Saw the stats at the end of the game and he completed 74 passes plus had the most touches on the pitch by miles.  He’s on the absolute crest of a wave having controlled both PL games he has been in against teams with midfields better than Israel or Norway/Serbia and trains with Chelsea first team full time now as he’s too good for their second side. 

But somehow it looks like he’s not getting called up to the might of the Scotland first team – how does that make any sense at all?  Any other nation our size would be building a side around him.  We’ve the best chance in absolutely yonks to qualify for something – we have nowhere near enough talent in our ranks to be delaying playing someone who’s currently bossing it for Chelsea. 

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Well for acceptable reasons in answer to No 1 if he is ready for EPL matches and man of the match performances to boot one of which against the European Club Champions then he is certainly ready for Scotland. Answer to No 2 how is it the wrong game? He has shown he can perform at the highest level in club football with a very level-head. No 3 that is debateable and there certainly aren't 4 or 5 better options than him to keep him out of the squad.

As for unacceptable reasons then I agree. The full level must come first. That is the most important game for the national squad for a number of years.

The article in the Athletic - which seems to be where this story comes from - seems to be suggesting that the reason for keeping him in the Under 21s is because they have important matches coming up and they'd be weakened without him.  

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Saw the stats at the end of the game and he completed 74 passes plus had the most touches on the pitch by miles.  He’s on the absolute crest of a wave having controlled both PL games he has been in against teams with midfields better than Israel or Norway/Serbia and trains with Chelsea first team full time now as he’s too good for their second side. 

But somehow it looks like he’s not getting called up to the might of the Scotland first team – how does that make any sense at all?  Any other nation our size would be building a side around him.  We’ve the best chance in absolutely yonks to qualify for something – we have nowhere near enough talent in our ranks to be delaying playing someone who’s currently bossing it for Chelsea. 

There is plenty time to build a team round him. He's only 18 and still got 15 years left of his career. We don't have any friendlies and if he plays he would be thrown into an intense atmosphere. What happens if he doesn't perform to the same level as the past 2 games? Does he drop back to the under 21s?

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

There is plenty time to build a team round him. He's only 18 and still got 15 years left of his career. We don't have any friendlies and if he plays he would be thrown into an intense atmosphere. What happens if he doesn't perform to the same level as the past 2 games? Does he drop back to the under 21s?

What a depressing outlook.

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Sorry but international football is about picking the best players available to you regardless of age and experience. Are you telling me Graham Shinnie is playing better than Billy Gilmour for example?

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Calling him up to the senior squad doesn't mean we have to play him at all. And, personally, I probably wouldn't give him more than a few minutes to dip his toe in the water.

The massive benefit of calling him up is to familiarise himself with the set up and build a rapport with his teammates.

If we qualify for the Euros, and he has been putting in MOTM performances every week for Chelsea, then he will likely be starting for us. So get him in and introduce him to McTominay, McGinn, Christie etc i.e the core of his teammates for the next decade.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Calling him up to the senior squad doesn't mean we have to play him at all. And, personally, I probably wouldn't give him more than a few minutes to dip his toe in the water.

The massive benefit of calling him up is to familiarise himself with the set up and build a rapport with his teammates.

If we qualify for the Euros, and he has been putting in MOTM performances every week for Chelsea, then he will likely be starting for us. So get him in and introduce him to McTominay, McGinn, Christie etc i.e the core of his teammates for the next decade.

Exactly - it also gives the chance for Clarke to observe him at close quarters and see how he fits in and works with the rest of the squad.

For some young players the pressure and sense of expectations can be too much and can make them freeze, others tend to take it all in their stride, it's almost as if they don't appreciate the enormity or just don't get fazed by it.   Gilmour - from what we've seen - looks like he's in that latter camp.   Lampard obviously has no qualms about starting him in big games, neither should Clarke but he has to work with him first.  He won't get that opportunity if he's in the Under 21s. 

Gilmour has been around for ages and has been dealing with hype at Chelsea and Scotland for the past 12 months. If he was English he would be in their squad. If Clarke does not pick him he needs sacked.