Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 148 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's a bit simplistic, the manner the results were achieved is what matters. 

I said I'd never go to another game if he didn't start Mctominay against Cyprus He didn't 

Once qualification was over he decided to play a 34 year old striker. I would just as soon have lost those games than experiment like that. 

Maybe I just want too much from a manager. 

Wasn't that when McTominay was ill so wasn't 100%?

I said I'd never go to another game if he didn't start Mctominay against Cyprus He didn't 

Once qualification was over he decided to play a 34 year old striker. I would just as soon have lost those games than experiment like that. 

If you expect a manager to pick a team that pleases everybody, then yes, you do want too much.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I didn't know he was ill for that one as he was on the bench, I just thought it was idiotic team selection.

There was a whole thing about Callum McGregor kicking off because McTom ran straight down the tunnel at full time instead of going to the supporters because he needed to get to a toilet.

You appear to want our manager to pick the same players that you would pick and don’t think he’s doing a good job because he doesn’t. Maybe you should apply for the job the next time it comes up? 

Saying you would never go back if Clarke didn’t pick a particular player is possibly one of the daftest things I’ve read on here, including Bonny’s posts. 

Clarke hasn’t exactly done anything groundbreaking but he’s streets ahead of McLeish and could take us to a major finals if we win our next 2 games. We were third seeds in our group and finished third behind the world’s best team and a decent Russia team that is better than us.  

Maybe we should see what happens later this month before we mark the guy as a failure? 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You appear to want our manager to pick the same players that you would pick and don’t think he’s doing a good job because he doesn’t. Maybe you should apply for the job the next time it comes up? 

Saying you would never go back if Clarke didn’t pick a particular player is possibly one of the daftest things I’ve read on here, including Bonny’s posts. 

Clarke hasn’t exactly done anything groundbreaking but he’s streets ahead of McLeish and could take us to a major finals if we win our next 2 games. We were third seeds in our group and finished third behind the world’s best team and a decent Russia team that is better than us.  

Maybe we should see what happens later this month before we mark the guy as a failure? 

Looks like we are on different planets when it comes to football.

I want the manager to do exactly what I would do. Is that not normal?

If he omits something that is totally obvious it is fair enough to over exaggerate what your response will be. (I haven't stopped watching us play)

Seriously though if you think maintaining the Status Quo is ok, fair enough, the jury is no longer out and it's high fives all round.

As for getting us to a major final, I will never regard getting us to a 24 team European competition an achievement.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If he omits something that is totally obvious it is fair enough to over exaggerate what your response will be. (I haven't stopped watching us play)

Seriously though if you think maintaining the Status Quo is ok, fair enough, the jury is no longer out and it's high fives all round.

As for getting us to a major final, I will never regard getting us to a 24 team European competition an achievement.

What are your expectations for what Scotland should be achieving?

5 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

What are your expectations for what Scotland should be achieving?

Being one of the top 24 teams in Europe would be a start. Preferably not scraping in at number 24.

I think we should be at the 12 - 18 level which would make us competitive against higher ranked teams and expected qualifiers for the Euro's and still competitive for world cup qualification.

Don't bother with the traditional we are only a small county line, I hope as a nation we are more than that. 

47 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The only reason Clarke has got a playoff is because of what the team did when McLeish was in charge. If we beat Israel then IMO, Clarke will have achieved about the same as McLeish did. If he wants to surpass McLeish he will need to win the final as well. Or, wait for another chance in the next Nations League.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Being one of the top 24 teams in Europe would be a start. Preferably not scraping in at number 24.

I think we should be at the 12 - 18 level which would make us competitive against higher ranked teams and expected qualifiers for the Euro's and still competitive for world cup qualification.

Don't bother with the traditional we are only a small county line, I hope as a nation we are more than that. 

That’s going to be a long and slow process to get us back to that sort of level though. As a rough guide, we started the current qualification cycle as the 27th-ranked team in Europe. (I make us currently 28th-ranked.) At 12-18 level, you’re talking of teams like Austria, Denmark, Poland, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland. We’re a million miles from that sort of level. We can’t just leapfrog back to that level without a lot of hard work, and a lot of continuity.

You’re going to have to give a manager a lot of time to achieve that, rather than hounding them out at the first sign of trouble, or first team selection that you don’t agree with.

Edited by dohadeer

48 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The only reason Clarke has got a playoff is because of what the team did when McLeish was in charge. If we beat Israel then IMO, Clarke will have achieved about the same as McLeish did. If he wants to surpass McLeish he will need to win the final as well. Or, wait for another chance in the next Nations League.

Agreed. I haven’t said Clarke has been a success. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Depends how big your ego is I suppose and whether you have any experience of top level football management. 

Personally, I want the Scotland manager to make decisions based on his experience and what he sees in matches and training.

I obviously have opinions on who I want to play but I’m not arrogant enough to think I know better than Steve Clarke. 

Any questions on will Gilmour be in the next squad fully answered today.

It wouldn’t matter his nationality he would be in any countries next squad. 

Isnt this the biggest case yet for what a good job the performance schools are doing with lads upto 15/16 years old? 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Any questions on will Gilmour be in the next squad fully answered today.

It wouldn’t matter his nationality he would be in any countries next squad. 

Isnt this the biggest case yet for what a good job the performance schools are doing with lads upto 15/16 years old? 

He has to start IMO

He isnt fazed by pressure and looks more assured than any.of our midfielders