Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 147 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Unless we find an actual right back from somewhere it will probably be palmer or odonnell regardless of form. 

Is playing a natural left back at right back too crazy an idea? I'm thinking maybe Taylor. 

Palmer is an actual right back, as is O’Donnell. They might not be Cafu but they are right backs. 

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Palmer is an actual right back, as is O’Donnell. They might not be Cafu but they are right backs. 

Your ok with Tierney at right back I take it, but do you have to be that far superior as a footballer to replace mediocrity. 

If I was the only right back left in the country would yo play me there ahead of Shankland?

Ryan Fraser, Ryan Jack, Callum Paterson have all played right back, they are all far superior footballers but you would prefer to play players we know are very poor in that position just because they play there week in week out? For once we do have a lot of people who can play football quite well,. some of them won't be in the team but would make better right backs than our supposed ones.

I'd make Palmer about seventh choice and O'donnell 23rd

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Your ok with Tierney at right back I take it, but do you have to be that far superior as a footballer to replace mediocrity. 

If I was the only right back left in the country would yo play me there ahead of Shankland?

Ryan Fraser, Ryan Jack, Callum Paterson have all played right back, they are all far superior footballers but you would prefer to play players we know are very poor in that position just because they play there week in week out? For once we do have a lot of people who can play football quite well,. some of them won't be in the team but would make better right backs than our supposed ones.

You appear to be making a lot of assumptions about me. Are you confusing me with someone else? 

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Agree with everything here. Great comment. 

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

One is shite, one is passable 

Neither of them fill me with confidence but what are the options? Play an out of form Jack out of position? Play Paterson there even though he hasn’t played there regularly for years? 

I can almost guarantee Palmer will start against Israel. 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Stats and the Norwich forum suggest that Hanley was one of the reasons it was only one goal conceded.

Norwich forum seem to think that Fleck isn't exactly shy and puts himself about a lot.Don't know if you agree. He is your most cautioned player mind you.

Don't suppose you noticed Kenny McLean who probably will be in our next squad.

Cheers for the update.

Fleck is always competitive and, as is said in Yorkshire, he’s not a guy to nesh a tackle. When he first came to us he occasionally let a bit frustration lead him to a bit of recklessness I remember him being sent off in league 1 for cleaning a guy out after he’d been clipped by the same guy moments before but he’s not done that over the last couple of seasons.  Norwich players, how do I say this politely, sometimes struggle with their sense of balance so I wouldn’t be concerned about their fans bitching about a guy who believes it’s a contact sport.

sorry, didn’t notice much Particular about McClean, worked hard, all the Norwich guys seemed to still be well up for the fight.

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

Palmer didn't do a lot wrong in the last 2 games so would expect him to keep the right back slot 

He will keep the spot no doubt, but keeping it on doing nothing wrong against mediocre opposition months ago and ignoring the fact he has been hopeless at club level since then is not my idea of good management. 

The jury is still out on Clarke next few weeks will let us see what he is made of.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He will keep the spot no doubt, but keeping it on doing nothing wrong against mediocre opposition months ago and ignoring the fact he has been hopeless at club level since then is not my idea of good management. 

The jury is still out on Clarke next few weeks will let us see what he is made of.

Clarke’s only just got the job, let’s not start with comments like that already.

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Fleck is always competitive and, as is said in Yorkshire, he’s not a guy to nesh a tackle. When he first came to us he occasionally let a bit frustration lead him to a bit of recklessness I remember him being sent off in league 1 for cleaning a guy out after he’d been clipped by the same guy moments before but he’s not done that over the last couple of seasons.  Norwich players, how do I say this politely, sometimes struggle with their sense of balance so I wouldn’t be concerned about their fans bitching about a guy who believes it’s a contact sport.

sorry, didn’t notice much Particular about McClean, worked hard, all the Norwich guys seemed to still be well up for the fight.

Good to hear, more bite in the team the better

1 minute ago, dohadeer said:

Clarke’s only just got the job, let’s not start with comments like that already.

I think it's a fair comment , so far he has done nothing to suggest he is going to improve the team to the standard we want or expect.

I would say the jury's still out describes the situation perfectly.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think it's a fair comment , so far he has done nothing to suggest he is going to improve the team to the standard we want or expect.

Maybe it does but it surely goes without saying? You sound like you’re sharpening your knife, waiting for him to fail.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He’s won the games he’s been expected to win and lost the games he’s been expected to lose in the main, with the exception of Russia at home. An International manager can’t be expected to come in and polish a turd of a squad. He needs time and committed players. 

9 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Its going to be interesting seeing who is dropped because Griffiths, Gilmour and Fleck have to be called up IMO

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Its going to be interesting seeing who is dropped because Griffiths, Gilmour and Fleck have to be called up IMO

From previous squads you would be looking at the likes of Shinnie to be dropped to make way for gilmour. No one will be dropped for Griffiths, we've got feck all strikers as it is. 

In my opinion Gilmour has to be called up to the squad. So if the games go to plan and we qualify. Then he May become pivotal in the euros. He could end up in the chelsea team for the rest of the season. And if thats the case id rather he be around a squad now rather than be called up for the euros for the 1st time. I dont think he should start against israel. Unless clarke sees something special in training.

13 minutes ago, Jmcq said:

In my opinion Gilmour has to be called up to the squad. So if the games go to plan and we qualify. Then he May become pivotal in the euros. He could end up in the chelsea team for the rest of the season. And if thats the case id rather he be around a squad now rather than be called up for the euros for the 1st time. I dont think he should start against israel. Unless clarke sees something special in training.

If Gilmour is starting for Chelsea he has to be starting for Scotland. 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If Gilmour is starting for Chelsea he has to be starting for Scotland. 

Yes agree if he has a good run in the 1st team and playing well. 3/4  games not sure is enough but if he performs for Chelsea and picked in starting line up then i wouldnt be complaining 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

From previous squads you would be looking at the likes of Shinnie to be dropped to make way for gilmour. No one will be dropped for Griffiths, we've got feck all strikers as it is. 

There were strikers in the last squad doesn't really matter which one you drop. I'd keep McBurnie others wouldn't 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s won the games he’s been expected to win and lost the games he’s been expected to lose in the main, with the exception of Russia at home. An International manager can’t be expected to come in and polish a turd of a squad. He needs time and committed players. 

That's a bit simplistic, the manner the results were achieved is what matters. 

I said I'd never go to another game if he didn't start Mctominay against Cyprus He didn't 

Once qualification was over he decided to play a 34 year old striker. I would just as soon have lost those games than experiment like that. 

Maybe I just want too much from a manager. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

There were strikers in the last squad doesn't really matter which one you drop. I'd keep McBurnie others wouldn't 

i think they will all be picked. Griffiths, mcburnie, Naismith and shankland. 

Edited by bigfingers