Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 141 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

3 hours ago, romanticscot said:

And if he plays a bad game for us, is he out of the squad?  We are not starved for options, I say we play the long game with him and not put too much pressure ox expectations on 

Why would he be out of the squad if he has a bad game? Every player is capable of a bad game but gilmour just provwd he is capable of a great game against a class side, that is a justifiable reason to call him up.

Playing the long game is part of our problem. 

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We can call him up and even play him without doing that. He’s 18 and plays for Chelsea, he’ll be able to handle it 

Who is getting dropped for gilmour? Mcgregor? Jack? Fine by me

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Ok lets put a bunch of players into our biggest game in years who hace played together and done absolutely nothing snf see what happens...........

A balance between experience and youthful talent is actually what we need. 

We have just watched scotlands most promising talent get MOTM against arguably the best side in the world. He should be called up and clarke should have the balls to.drop ome of the morw experienced players for him. Why? With the exception of mctominey i doubt any of the midfielders we hace would be selected for chelsea

It would be McLean or Jack,  probably the latter who would be regarded as a journeyman player by everyone on here if it wasn't for the fact he is Scottish

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

And if he plays a bad game for us, is he out of the squad?  We are not starved for options, I say we play the long game with him and not put too much pressure ox expectations on him. 

The game last night had more pressure than he would be under playing for Scotland and he breezed through. 

45 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It would be McLean or Jack,  probably the latter who would be regarded as a journeyman player by everyone on here if it wasn't for the fact he is Scottish

I wonder if jack will be included because he can cover at right back. That way he takes SOD's place rather than a midfielder.

9 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Studio?

I didn’t watch the match, unless you’re telling me that Claudia Winkelman and Graham Norton were commentating?

You seem very opinionated for somebody who never watched the match/knew what age the kid was.

Attention seeking yet again.

Let's face it, this forum could say Black and you'd say White just so somebody would interact with you ya sad act.

I’m loathe to get started on this as it’s the one issue I get a bit wound up about on here. We have been utter push for decades and I’m sick fed up of seeing other small counties playing promising teenagers. Georgia away anyone? Why do we have to wait until a standout teenager ‘proves’ himself? If he’s good enough for the Chelsea squad he’s good enough to start for us.

4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I’m loathe to get started on this as it’s the one issue I get a bit wound up about on here. We have been utter push for decades and I’m sick fed up of seeing other small counties playing promising teenagers. Georgia away anyone? Why do we have to wait until a standout teenager ‘proves’ himself? If he’s good enough for the Chelsea squad he’s good enough to start for us.

Agreed. He didn't just get a game last night, he bossed it.

He looked like the senior player in their midfield.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If he was called up he'd automatically be out best midfielder in terms of controlling a game/playing under pressure.

He played last night like no other Scottish player I've seen since Barry Ferguson.

Exactly.

Even top, top nations choose young players who are only just starting their club careers.

If he was any other British or Irish nationality including English he would be in the frame after that. 

If other countries like France, Spain and England can play 18 years olds in their first teams then why not us?

I’m not saying he should be nailed onto start but given the way he played and his potential then at least get him in the squad and have a proper look at him. 

Clarke was at Stamford Bridge last night and given the way Gilmour played and the way that Lampard talks about his talent and attitude, he deserves a chance to show what he can do for the national team, regardless of his age.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Couldn’t agree anymore 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He looks like my geeky wee 14 year-old neighbour!

Hard not to get carried away cos we've waited so long for a genuine world-beater.  Lots of praise from the pundits anyway.  Certainly no harm getting him in the squad right now as he looks like he'll be in the team soon enough.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If he was called up he'd automatically be out best midfielder in terms of controlling a game/playing under pressure.

He played last night like no other Scottish player I've seen since Barry Ferguson.

Ferguson is not a bad comparison in terms of the ability to dominate a game from that position and such obvious confidence at a young age.

I only really had two concerns around Gilmour, one was that he might be too slight to play at the highest level, particularly in the centre of midfield.  The other was that he might get lost in the Chelsea youth system.   

Unless he has some late growth spurt - which will put his career on hold - then I suspect he's as tall as he'll get although he'll naturally fill out and develop better upper body strength as he matures.

He's about the same height as Xavi, who for me is one of the best central midfielders in the last 20 years but in order to play there and be that small you have to be very very good.   Gilmour has very quick feet which will really help him, last night also showed a bit of dig in his game that isn't usually apparent when watching development games.   No doubt training with the first team has really benefited him.  

As someone who until recently had a season ticket at Stamford Bridge for 20 years, I've become used to supposed wunderkinds coming in and either not kicking on to the level expected or disappearing completely.  I'm not just talking about Islam Feruz, I could probably name about a dozen off the top of my head who have similarly been touted as the next big thing.

That does seem to be changing and while this obviously doesn't apply to Gilmour a lot of the current group have been at the club since they were young kids, so its now that the long term benefits are being seen.

The loan system is a double edged sword, if it works then a young player gets a lot of game time he wouldn't normally get.  If it doesn't - for whatever reason - then it can damage their prospects, sometimes fatally.    Also given Chelsea's policy of changing the manager fairly frequently that can work against young players - particularly those out on loan - as the new manager will want to bring in their own players and might not fancy those already at the club.   

Gilmour has a chance here as Frank obviously rates him and I suspect he'll be around for at least a couple of years.  I guess the key will be what business they do in the summer, whether they feel they need to strengthen in that area or not.

I'm generally of the opinion that players should have to have played around 80 senior games - i.e. about a couple of seasons - before you start to look at them for the national team except in exceptional circumstances.

Gilmour is probably one of those exceptions.  He should probably be called up to the squad so that Clarke can have a close look at him with the other players and take it from there.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed. He didn't just get a game last night, he bossed it.

He looked like the senior player in their midfield.

Agreed totally - he was anchoring midfield and demanding the ball off of senior pro's who were pinging at him in some seriously tight positions so they must have trusted his ability.  

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

It was mentioned in his interview with that Grado guy. He said he’d choose Scotland though. 

I asked the question in another thread about if he could be poached by anyone else if we didn’t get him capped and was told no. How can he qualify for England?