Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 140 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

2 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’d assume that Steve Clarke is not thinking along the same lines, but I may be proved wrong. Surely the likes of Armstrong, Jack, McGregor and McLean have far better shouts than Gilmour?

One match doesn’t suddenly make him a world beater. If he can string several performances like that together, then great, but I’m not sure that he will be given the opportunity to do so, for the time being.

Jorginho suspended...and its prime opportunity for Gilmour to take his place. 

That added to the fact that Steve Clarke will be very aware of him, given where they both come from then I think it's a certainty that he will be in the squad and if he turns up at training and makes a cunt of Mclean, Jack and the rest then who knows

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

They’re basically the same, very little difference between them. One can easily change into the other, depending on how the game turns out.

Nah it’s quite a big difference. 
McGinn has played significantly higher up the pitch than the 2 other central midfielders. 
If we are to play the 4231, Clarke needs to make the call on who plays the McGinn role if he’s not fit. 

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Nah it’s quite a big difference. 
McGinn has played significantly higher up the pitch than the 2 other central midfielders. 
If we are to play the 4231, Clarke needs to make the call on who plays the McGinn role if he’s not fit. 

Exactly! 

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Exactly! 

I assumed that we did play 4-2-3-1 (like most teams) and got told by several people on here that Steve Clarke plays 4-3-3, not 4-2-3-1!

Not a huge difference really, your 3 central midfielders will be required to contribute at both ends of the pitch, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are just fluid versions of each other, depending on how the match pans out.

Let’s get Real. Yes he was very good tonight but FFS he has started, what, 2 games at first team level. If he was a right back or even a centre half, them maybe he would make the squad but we are well covered in the centre midfield area. I would be gobsmacked if he makes the squad for a very important game. Later in the year in Nations League is where I expect him to get involved. BTW he does look a player 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

3 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Let’s get Real. Yes he was very good tonight but FFS he has started, what, 2 games at first team level. If he was a right back or even a centre half, them maybe he would make the squad but we are well covered in the centre midfield area. I would be gobsmacked if he makes the squad for a very important game. Later in the year in Nations League is where I expect him to get involved. BTW he does look a player 

Depends who’s fit in a couple of weeks time I suppose. If McGinn doesn't  make it and maybe another first choice midfielder gets injured then I’d rather see Gilmour get a call up before some non-entity that will get nowhere near the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends who’s fit in a couple of weeks time I suppose. If McGinn doesn't  make it and maybe another first choice midfielder gets injured then I’d rather see Gilmour get a call up before some non-entity that will get nowhere near the pitch. 

?? Non entity? In no particular order, even if McGinn doesn’t make it, you’ve got Armstrong, Fleck, Jack, McTominay, McGregor, Christie, McGregor and McLean who are all likely to be called up before Gilmour this time round, and all playing at good level regularly 

12 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

?? Non entity? In no particular order, even if McGinn doesn’t make it, you’ve got Armstrong, Fleck, Jack, McTominay, McGregor, Christie, McGregor and McLean who are all likely to be called up before Gilmour this time round, and all playing at good level regularly 

All of those guys will be in the squad anyway if they are fit with the possible exception of McLean. 

Jack is injury prone (at the moment anyway) and McTominay could break down again as he’s just back. 

If Clarke has a vacant spot in the squad for a midfielder after injuries then he might as well go for Gilmour over some English League one player that won’t get any minutes anyway. 

I’m not suggesting Gilmour should start against Israel but if, and admittedly it’s a big if, we are cruising against Israel with 20 mins to go then give him a run out and wrap McGinn or whoever he replaces  in cotton wool for the next round. 

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

It’s one match against an understrength Liverpool. Calm down.

I totally get the sentiment, but considering how woeful our experiences have been this century, isn't it ok to get a bit excited now and again?

One brilliant match against and under strength version of the best team in world football is better than no young Scots showing anything at all.

28 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Don't forget McGregor. 

Gilmour looked great tonight but I wouldn’t put him straight in the starting line up. I’d probably look to get him in the squad though. 

Basing it purely on playing well in one game against Liverpool isn’t right. 

McTominay, Fleck, McGinn, Armstrong and McLean have played very well against stronger sides than Liverpool put out tonight. I’d also argue that McGregor and Christie (against Lazio) shown this too. Probably Jack too. 

It’s impressive because he’s 18. Get him in the squad for experience but allow the guys who’ve played well for us and for their clubs for the whole season to start. 

32 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Gilmour looked great tonight but I wouldn’t put him straight in the starting line up. I’d probably look to get him in the squad though. 

Basing it purely on playing well in one game against Liverpool isn’t right. 

McTominay, Fleck, McGinn, Armstrong and McLean have played very well against stronger sides than Liverpool put out tonight. I’d also argue that McGregor and Christie (against Lazio) shown this too. Probably Jack too. 

It’s impressive because he’s 18. Get him in the squad for experience but allow the guys who’ve played well for us and for their clubs for the whole season to start. 

Tbf the Liverpool side tonight had quite a few first team players. 

Great game by Gilmour. Chelsea have Jorginho out for two matches and Kovacic went off injured so he could well start their premier league games up to the break.

Ridiculously stacked in central midfield now.

Would call up Billy just for him to sample things at international level.

4 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

He has just bossed the midfield against the European champions and recently promoted to chelsea first team. He is on a real high and playing with so much confidence. 

FFS Get him in the squad. 

And if he plays a bad game for us, is he out of the squad?  We are not starved for options, I say we play the long game with him and not put too much pressure ox expectations on him. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

And if he plays a bad game for us, is he out of the squad?  We are not starved for options, I say we play the long game with him and not put too much pressure ox expectations on him. 

We can call him up and even play him without doing that. He’s 18 and plays for Chelsea, he’ll be able to handle it 

Whatever, from now the English press are gonna hype Gilmour . 
Seems level and having watched his progress the last few years he’s taken every step. I really enjoy when football shows that out and out athleticism doesn’t decide. 

8 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Okay let's put a bunch of players into our biggest game in years who have never played together before and see what happens. 

Ok lets put a bunch of players into our biggest game in years who hace played together and done absolutely nothing snf see what happens...........

A balance between experience and youthful talent is actually what we need. 

We have just watched scotlands most promising talent get MOTM against arguably the best side in the world. He should be called up and clarke should have the balls to.drop ome of the morw experienced players for him. Why? With the exception of mctominey i doubt any of the midfielders we hace would be selected for chelsea