Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 123 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

12 hours ago, dohadeer said:

They wouldn’t be sitting sixth in the league, and he wouldn’t have 24 appearances if he was a poor player. They’re not a good enough team to carry passengers. Every single one of their players must be having a good/great season for them to be sat where they are.

That's just the same as saying that a team fifth or sixth from bottom all their players must be bad and performing badly. Its just not true and doesn't make sense. Bad teams still have good players and good teams bad players, its always been the case. Sometimes they just happen to be the best available in their squad. Overall Sheffield United do well because the positive contribution of the overwhelming  majority of the team (maybe nine players) makes up for the lack of an effective centre forward.

Just look at our national team, there is a massive diversity of quality across different positions. We are an average to poor team overall but that doesn't mean we don't also have talented individuals in certain areas of the pitch. 

4 hours ago, mcnish said:

That's just the same as saying that a team fifth or sixth from bottom all their players must be bad and performing badly. Its just not true and doesn't make sense. Bad teams still have good players and good teams bad players, its always been the case. Sometimes they just happen to be the best available in their squad. Overall Sheffield United do well because the positive contribution of the overwhelming  majority of the team (maybe nine players) makes up for the lack of an effective centre forward.

Just look at our national team, there is a massive diversity of quality across different positions. We are an average to poor team overall but that doesn't mean we don't also have talented individuals in certain areas of the pitch. 

Maybe people have different definitions of ‘bad player’ and ‘poor player’ to me, but I don’t think that any professional footballers are bad players. Given how many people they’ve had to beat to become professionals, I’d say that by definition, no professional footballers can be bad players.

They might take a bad touch, play a bad pass, miss an easy chance, have a poor match, have a poor month, have a poor season, but suggesting that any professional footballers at the top end of the game are poor players is ludicrous.

(Cue hilarious ‘Have you seen......’ replies.)

4 hours ago, mcnish said:

I totally agree.

McBurnie wouldn’t have made 24 appearances in their 26 matches if he was a terrible player, he’d have been replaced by someone else.

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I totally agree.

McBurnie wouldn’t have made 24 appearances in their 26 matches if he was a terrible player, he’d have been replaced by someone else.

We could just judge him on his games for us & attitude towards playing for us.

leaving his mediocre club form & behaviour out with football out of the equation. 

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I totally agree.

James forrest has been outstanding for celtic but has very rarely replicated that form for scotland. Mcburnie is exactly the same but at least mcburnie has time.

The point being, club form is not always replicated on a scotland shirt.

58 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

James forrest has been outstanding for celtic but has very rarely replicated that form for scotland. Mcburnie is exactly the same but at least mcburnie has time.

I mean, I wonder what the difference between playing for Celtic and playing for Scotland is?

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

We could just judge him on his games for us & attitude towards playing for us.

leaving his mediocre club form & behaviour out with football out of the equation. 

As mentioned previously, you shouldn’t judge something on a tiny sample size, when you have a larger sample size available.

That would suggest that you’re not being impartial, if you were choosing to use the tiny sample size. (Which the wording of your post does seem to suggest - you sound like you dislike him, so you want to choose the sample which makes him look bad.)

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

This gets said a lot but which players have replicated their club form for Scotland? I'd struggle to name 5. 

10 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

As mentioned previously, you shouldn’t judge something on a tiny sample size, when you have a larger sample size available.

That would suggest that you’re not being impartial, if you were choosing to use the tiny sample size. (Which the wording of your post does seem to suggest - you sound like you dislike him, so you want to choose the sample which makes him look bad.)

You haven't watched all his games. I doubt anyone on here has watched more than 15 games of him. Everyone has to base their opinion on a small sample of say 10 or so games. He's been brutally bad in 10 or more games I have watched, are you suggesting he's happened to be excellent in the all his other games and I just happened to watch his poor games. Lol what would be the chances of me managing to catch all of his bad games. Extremely unlikely. I accept the guy has proven he can score at championship level and he deserves his chance to prove himself in friendlies but his chances of starting games has been stalled by his poor performances for Scotland. Clarke has clearly seen what 90 percent of us have seen and that is a guy who can't do the basics of football. Naismith came in and did well in the last two games. This is why Naismith or griffiths will start barring injury. 

Tbh this argument is getting a bit tedious so this will probably be the last I say on the subject as it seems to be hogging a section that is dedicated more to keeping up with all the Scotland players and not just mcburnie.

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

This gets said a lot but which players have replicated their club form for Scotland? I'd struggle to name 5. 

Yeh not many do tbh, I have always said that Forrest would be an excellent asset if he was replicate his Celtic form for Scotland. He pretty much got us this play off matches by playing well for a change. Think of the results we could get if he could replicate those performances every so often.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh not many do tbh, I have always said that Forrest would be an excellent asset if he was replicate his Celtic form for Scotland. He pretty much got us this play off matches by playing well for a change. Think of the results we could get if he could replicate those performances every so often.

Forrest suffers from us not having a good right-back.  He spends far more time defending that he should need to and therefore is unable to do what he does for Celtic as much as we'd like for Scotland.  What a lot of fans don't seem to appreciate is how often he gets the ball 40 yards further up the pitch with his runs.

Personally, I thinking finding a system which keeps us solid at the back which allows Forrest and Fraser to fully support the attack is the key to us being a good side.  Fraser and Forrest playing well can cause problems against most teams.  

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You haven't watched all his games. I doubt anyone on here has watched more than 15 games of him. Everyone has to base their opinion on a small sample of say 10 or so games. He's been brutally bad in 10 or more games I have watched, are you suggesting he's happened to be excellent in the all his other games and I just happened to watch his poor games. Lol what would be the chances of me managing to catch all of his bad games. Extremely unlikely. I accept the guy has proven he can score at championship level and he deserves his chance to prove himself in friendlies but his chances of starting games has been stalled by his poor performances for Scotland. Clarke has clearly seen what 90 percent of us have seen and that is a guy who can't do the basics of football. Naismith came in and did well in the last two games. This is why Naismith or griffiths will start barring injury. 

Tbh this argument is getting a bit tedious so this will probably be the last I say on the subject as it seems to be hogging a section that is dedicated more to keeping up with all the Scotland players and not just mcburnie.

He would be dropped by Sheffield United if he was the terrible player that you describe. Wouldn’t he?

He wouldn’t be playing in the top half of the English Premiership if he ‘couldn’t do the basics.’ Would he?

I don’t believe what you are claiming about him being ‘terrible’ in every single match that you have seen, I think it’s a case of confirmation bias - you have made your mind up about him, and now you’re noticing all the examples that suit your opinion, and ignoring any that go against that. He must have a lot of good matches/performances to score 22 goals in a Championship season, be signed by an English Premiership team and hold down a place in that team, while they compete on a level with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Tottenham.

I’ve seen the same level of performances from him that you have, but surely we’re both intelligent enough to know that he must have good performances elsewhere, that we haven’t seen. If he was the level of player that we’ve seen, he’d be working in a garage by now, not playing regularly at the business end of the English Premiership. You must understand that? You’re being deliberately awkward here, in trying to claim that you know better than the Sheffield United staff do. Sheffield United’s results prove that they know just fine what they’re doing.

You must be able to accept that a good player can have bad games AND can have good games when you’re not watching. Especially when the evidence is right there in front of you.

13 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Forrest suffers from us not having a good right-back.  He spends far more time defending that he should need to and therefore is unable to do what he does for Celtic as much as we'd like for Scotland.  What a lot of fans don't seem to appreciate is how often he gets the ball 40 yards further up the pitch with his runs.

Personally, I thinking finding a system which keeps us solid at the back which allows Forrest and Fraser to fully support the attack is the key to us being a good side.  Fraser and Forrest playing well can cause problems against most teams.  

There’s a huge difference between playing for Celtic and playing for Scotland though.

Obviously, without checking the actual numbers, I assume that Celtic play their matches with around 65-80% possession, against teams of a much lower level than them. Those amounts of possession are clearly going to allow players like Forrest to thrive, as he has so many chances to create things, run with the ball, score goals. He probably has as many bad moments for Celtic, but he has plenty more chances within the match to make up for them.

Scotland will play a lot of our matches with, say 35-55% possession, so those numbers are going to have a real negative impact on the game of a winger like Forrest.

He can’t replicate his Celtic form, because he doesn’t have the ball enough. Every time he gets the ball in an attacking position, the pressure is magnified, because it happens far less often than for Celtic.

That’s why it’s crazy to measure Forrest or any of our players against their performances for the Old Firm, as it’s impossible for them to bring that sort of form to Scotland, as they’re suddenly playing in a much more competitive game.

That’s also why personally - and plenty of people would disagree - I wouldn’t even start Forrest for Scotland. I’d choose players like Armstrong, or Fraser, who are used to having to scrap for every single point, with their club sides every week and used to playing matches with 40% possession, where every moment counts, rather than 80% possession, where you can have as many bites at the cherry as you like.

Edited by dohadeer

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

He would be dropped by Sheffield United if he was the terrible player that you describe. Wouldn’t he?

He wouldn’t be playing in the top half of the English Premiership if he ‘couldn’t do the basics.’ Would he?

I don’t believe what you are claiming about him being ‘terrible’ in every single match that you have seen, I think it’s a case of confirmation bias - you have made your mind up about him, and now you’re noticing all the examples that suit your opinion, and ignoring any that go against that. He must have a lot of good matches/performances to score 22 goals in a Championship season, be signed by an English Premiership team and hold down a place in that team, while they compete on a level with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Tottenham.

I’ve seen the same level of performances from him that you have, but surely we’re both intelligent enough to know that he must have good performances elsewhere, that we haven’t seen. If he was the level of player that we’ve seen, he’d be working in a garage by now, not playing regularly at the business end of the English Premiership. You must understand that? You’re being deliberately awkward here, in trying to claim that you know better than the Sheffield United staff do. Sheffield United’s results prove that they know just fine what they’re doing.

You must be able to accept that a good player can have bad games AND can have good games when you’re not watching. Especially when the evidence is right there in front of you.

I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, thats why I think he will get more chances to prove himself in the near future but he won't be starting our Israel game. I can nearly guarantee Clarke won't start him. Plenty of epl teams get it wrong with players and I can guarantee mcburnie won't last at a top half epl team. Sheffield United will eventually settle at below mid table or mcburnie will be transferred to a relegation battler in a year or two as he's not a top half epl player.

The evidence is not there in front of me, the guy plays shit everytime I watch him, how can i magically pick every game he plays badly in. That would be impossible. I don't give a shit if you don't believe me, you have already claimed you don't remember who starts or who plays well for Scotland yet you are on here giving it arrogant opinions and suggesting the Sheffield United staff know more than me but you ignore Clarke who has decided mcburnie is not fit to start for Scotland. Why do you think Clarke doesn't start mcburnie and instead goes for a hearts striker?

14 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

There’s a huge difference between playing for Celtic and playing for Scotland though.

Obviously, without checking the actual numbers, I assume that Celtic play their matches with around 65-80% possession, against teams of a much lower level than them. Those amounts of possession are clearly going to allow players like Forrest to thrive, as he has so many chances to create things, run with the ball, score goals. He probably has as many bad moments for Celtic, but he has plenty more chances within the match to make up for them.

Scotland will play a lot of our matches with, say 35-55% possession, so those numbers are going to have a real negative impact on the game of a winger like Forrest.

He can’t replicate his Celtic form, because he doesn’t have the ball enough. Every time he gets the ball in an attacking position, the pressure is magnified, because it happens far less often than for Celtic.

That’s why it’s crazy to measure Forrest or any of our players against their performances for the Old Firm, as it’s impossible for them to bring that sort of form to Scotland, as they’re suddenly playing in a much more competitive game.

That’s also why personally - and plenty of people would disagree - I wouldn’t even start Forrest for Scotland. I’d choose players like Armstrong, or Fraser, who are used to having to scrap for every single point, with their club sides every week and used to playing matches with 40% possession, where every moment counts, rather than 80% possession, where you can have as many bites at the cherry as you like.

Tbf Forrest has played well in European games for Celtic and alot of the teams we play at international level are not brilliant. Forrest should be able to play well against lower ranked international teams but he doesn't do it, apart from the nation's league qualifiers. 

I do agree with your point to an extent but we should still be getting more out of Forrest, especially against teams like Kazakhstan or cyprus

Edited by mccaughey85

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, thats why I think he will get more chances to prove himself in the near future but he won't be starting our Israel game. I can nearly guarantee Clarke won't start him. Plenty of epl teams get it wrong with players and I can guarantee mcburnie won't last at a top half epl team. Sheffield United will eventually settle at below mid table or mcburnie will be transferred to a relegation battler in a year or two as he's not a top half epl player.

The evidence is not there in front of me, the guy plays shit everytime I watch him, how can i magically pick every game he plays badly in. That would be impossible. I don't give a shit if you don't believe me, you have already claimed you don't remember who starts or who plays well for Scotland yet you are on here giving it arrogant opinions and suggesting the Sheffield United staff know more than me but you ignore Clarke who has decided mcburnie is not fit to start for Scotland. Why do you think Clarke doesn't start mcburnie and instead goes for a hearts striker?

I’m ‘giving it arrogant opinions and suggesting the Sheffield United staff know more than you?!’

Obviously they do. Are you claiming otherwise?

Come on mate. The Sheffield United staff do know better than you and me. I’m happy to defer my opinion of Oli McBurnie to them. I trust their football knowledge. Don’t you? 

I’m not ignoring Clarke, I’m saying that two Scotland games where Naismith was chosen or two poor games McBurnie had when he started are too small a sample size to be making judgements on, when we have a much larger sample size at our disposal.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf Forrest has played well in European games for Celtic and alot of the teams we play at international level are not brilliant. Forrest should be able to play well against lower ranked international teams but he doesn't do it, apart from the nation's league qualifiers. 

I do agree with your point to an extent but we should still be getting more out of Forrest, especially against teams like Kazakhstan or cyprus

From your posts, I think you have the same mindset as a lot of Scotland fans, which is unrealistically high expectations.

Players can have bad games. If they’re playing for Scotland, when we lost 5 qualifiers out of 8, (excluding San Marino), they’re going to have a lot of bad games.

That doesn’t mean that after a few bad games we should hound them out of the team and look for the next player who will be the ‘magical solution.’

I’m amazed at how unforgiving our fans are, and how quickly they form judgements on our players, based on the ridiculously high standards they hold these players to. No wonder we only have one player with 50 caps, when Northern Ireland and Wales both have seven or eight players with 50 caps. And no wonder those teams have reaped the rewards of experience and left us trailing behind over the past few years.

Our fans seem to run a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy, which doesn’t allow anyone to get near 50 caps.

’Three bad games? Hang on, there’s a guy scoring loads of goals in the Scottish Championship. Get him in instead, he must be the magic solution we’re looking for.’

Our fans have to learn patience and forgiveness, and allow decent players to have bad games.

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’m ‘giving it arrogant opinions and suggesting the Sheffield United staff know more than you?!’

Obviously they do. Are you claiming otherwise?

Come on mate. The Sheffield United staff do know better than you and me. I’m happy to defer my opinion of Oli McBurnie to them. I trust their football knowledge. Don’t you? 

I’m not ignoring Clarke, I’m saying that two Scotland games where Naismith was chosen or two poor games McBurnie had when he started are too small a sample size to be making judgements on, when we have a much larger sample size at our disposal.

Why bother having an opinion then, obviously Clarke knows more about football than either of us and he's decided not to start mcburnie. So how does that fit into your logic. Clarke might be making his decision based on more than 2 games, he might of watched mcburnie at club level and Scotland games before he was in charge and decided mcburnie isn't good enough. Are you claiming you know more than Clarke?

Epl teams and their staff constantly get it wrong regarding players. I could reel of tens of players that have been bought for big money but have been deemed not good enough in the long run. Burke was bought for 13m a few years ago and made plenty of appearances for RB Leipzig but was then punted because he wasn't good enough. Che Adams was bought for nearly 20m I think and he's hardly scored for saints. Epl clubs can afford to buy average players in the hope they come good. I can nearly guarantee mcburnie won't last at a top half epl club. He's simply not good enough for that level.

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

From your posts, I think you have the same mindset as a lot of Scotland fans, which is unrealistically high expectations.

Players can have bad games. If they’re playing for Scotland, when we lost 5 qualifiers out of 8, (excluding San Marino), they’re going to have a lot of bad games.

That doesn’t mean that after a few bad games we should hound them out of the team and look for the next player who will be the ‘magical solution.’

I’m amazed at how unforgiving our fans are, and how quickly they form judgements on our players, based on the ridiculously high standards they hold these players to. No wonder we only have one player with 50 caps, when Northern Ireland and Wales both have seven or eight players with 50 caps. And no wonder those teams have reaped the rewards of experience and left us trailing behind over the past few years.

Our fans seem to run a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy, which doesn’t allow anyone to get near 50 caps.

’Three bad games? Hang on, there’s a guy scoring loads of goals in the Scottish Championship. Get him in instead, he must be the magic solution we’re looking for.’

Our fans have to learn patience and forgiveness, and allow decent players to have bad games.

I actually don't have high expectations from Scotland or Forrest. I think most of us are frustrated that Forrest doesn't perform to his potential which is what we saw in the nation's league. Forrest is a player who should perform much better against lower ranked teams than what he does. I am happy to persevere with him as he looked good in his last couple of games and hopefully we can get him performing like he did in the nation's league. I have never wanted rid of a player after three bad games, I am always willing to give them more of chance but obviously it depends on how bad they play and if there have been some decent moments in the matches and also if a player in their position is playing well at club level who deserves a chance. I would say Scotland fans have been very tolerant of the bad performances from our players which lets face it there has been mostly poor performances from our players on the whole over the past twenty years.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Why bother having an opinion then, obviously Clarke knows more about football than either of us and he's decided not to start mcburnie. So how does that fit into your logic. Clarke might be making his decision based on more than 2 games, he might of watched mcburnie at club level and Scotland games before he was in charge and decided mcburnie isn't good enough. Are you claiming you know more than Clarke?

Epl teams and their staff constantly get it wrong regarding players. I could reel of tens of players that have been bought for big money but have been deemed not good enough in the long run. Burke was bought for 13m a few years ago and made plenty of appearances for RB Leipzig but was then punted because he wasn't good enough. Che Adams was bought for nearly 20m I think and he's hardly scored for saints. Epl clubs can afford to buy average players in the hope they come good. I can nearly guarantee mcburnie won't last at a top half epl club. He's simply not good enough for that level.

That might be what happens, but we can’t predict the future. We can only go on the evidence we have at the moment. That is, Oli McBurnie scored 22 goals in the Championship, Sheffield United chose to bring him into the Premier League, and he has made 24 appearances for them, as they have climbed in amongst four of the ‘big six’ teams.

That’s not a lot of evidence, as he’s only 23, but it shows that McBurnie has done well for almost two seasons, at least. (I’m not saying he played well in every match, but he must have done really well overall, based on that evidence - scored loads in the Championship, moved up a division, and made himself a fairly regular player in a top half team.)

You’re asking me where his Scotland form or Steve Clarke selecting Naismith ahead of him fits in? Well, it’s a much smaller sample of matches, so McBurnie having (up to) 5 poor performances for Scotland, or Naismith being chosen for two ‘dead rubbers’ ahead of him, is evidence of him playing badly, but far too small an amount of evidence to counter the amount of positive evidence that his club form provides.

I hope that makes sense, I tried to get my point across as best I can!

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I actually don't have high expectations from Scotland or Forrest. I think most of us are frustrated that Forrest doesn't perform to his potential which is what we saw in the nation's league. Forrest is a player who should perform much better against lower ranked teams than what he does. I am happy to persevere with him as he looked good in his last couple of games and hopefully we can get him performing like he did in the nation's league. I have never wanted rid of a player after three bad games, I am always willing to give them more of chance but obviously it depends on how bad they play and if there have been some decent moments in the matches and also if a player in their position is playing well at club level who deserves a chance. I would say Scotland fans have been very tolerant of the bad performances from our players which lets face it there has been mostly poor performances from our players on the whole over the past twenty years.

You said Forrest played well in the Nations League though, but you’re criticizing him for not playing well against, was it Cyprus and Kazakhstan you said?

You don’t expect him to play well in every game do you? Surely he’s allowed bad games?

And you’re reading different forums to me, or sitting in different sections of Hampden to me, if you think that Scotland fans are tolerant of our players. Our fans always believe there is a ‘grass is always greener’ better player who should come in, as soon as one of our players’ standards slips.

Edited by dohadeer

15 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

That might be what happens, but we can’t predict the future. We can only go on the evidence we have at the moment. That is, Oli McBurnie scored 22 goals in the Championship, Sheffield United chose to bring him into the Premier League, and he has made 24 appearances for them, as they have climbed in amongst four of the ‘big six’ teams.

That’s not a lot of evidence, as he’s only 23, but it shows that McBurnie has done well for almost two seasons, at least. (I’m not saying he played well in every match, but he must have done really well overall, based on that evidence - scored loads in the Championship, moved up a division, and made himself a fairly regular player in a top half team.)

You’re asking me where his Scotland form or Steve Clarke selecting Naismith ahead of him fits in? Well, it’s a much smaller sample of matches, so McBurnie having (up to) 5 poor performances for Scotland, or Naismith being chosen for two ‘dead rubbers’ ahead of him, is evidence of him playing badly, but far too small an amount of evidence to counter the amount of positive evidence that his club form provides.

I hope that makes sense, I tried to get my point across as best I can!

Well tbh it sounds our main disagreement is wether mcburnie starts in our upcoming game/games. I accept he's done reasonably well this last two seasons but I just can't see Clarke starting him for us. I am assuming that Clarke keeps tabs on his club form so he's maybe making his decision based on more than just 5 games he's seen.

Anyways I guess we should agree to disagree on mcburnie. 

16 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

You said Forrest played well in the Nations League though, but you’re criticizing him for not playing well against, was it Cyprus and Kazakhstan you said?

You don’t expect him to play well in every game do you? Surely he’s allowed bad games?

And you’re reading different forums to me, or sitting in different sections of Hampden to me, if you think that Scotland fans are tolerant of our players. Our fans always believe there is a ‘grass is always greener’ better player who should come in, as soon as one of our players’ standards slips.

I am actually saying he played well in the last two games especially against Kazakhstan but I do feel Forrest for alot of years played relatively poorly for Scotland against teams that he should be able to play well against. I think the Scotland support has been relatively patient with Forrest and tbf he came good with his nation's league performances but the hope is that we can see more of that especially against weaker teams. I am happy to start Forrest in our upcoming game against Israel as he's been good in our last two games. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well tbh it sounds our main disagreement is wether mcburnie starts in our upcoming game/games. I accept he's done reasonably well this last two seasons but I just can't see Clarke starting him for us. I am assuming that Clarke keeps tabs on his club form so he's maybe making his decision based on more than just 5 games he's seen.

Anyways I guess we should agree to disagree on mcburnie. 

So, if he’s done ‘reasonably well’ in the English Championship and then the English Premiership, he can’t be a terrible player?

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am actually saying he played well in the last two games especially against Kazakhstan but I do feel Forrest for alot of years played relatively poorly for Scotland against teams that he should be able to play well against. I think the Scotland support has been relatively patient with Forrest and tbf he came good with his nation's league performances but the hope is that we can see more of that especially against weaker teams. I am happy to start Forrest in our upcoming game against Israel as he's been good in our last two games. 

Scotland’s league performances?