Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 122 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

22 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I think you have made your mind up about him, and then whether consciously or subconsciously, you’ve turned him into a caricature of a bad footballer, in your head.

’He’s been terrible every game he’s played for Scotland.’

’He was terrible every time I saw him play for the under-21s.’

’Every club game I have seen him play, he’s been terrible.’

This all sounds so far removed from anything resembling reality

I am just being honest about his performances, I have literally never seen mcburnie play well, I have always watched him and thought how the fuck did this guy become a professional. I actually had high hopes for the guy when he was breaking through for Swansea and I reckon I have followed the guy more than most on here. I kept tabs on him when he was going out on loan to the likes of Newport and Barnsley and I can honestly say I have always been left shocked at how bad he was. 

Why is this so far from reality, if I watch a player and he plays poorly I am going to form an opinion that he isn't very good. You have already said you don't remember who has played well and who started in our matches so you obviously can't form an opinion on who is a good player. You are just assuming that because mcburnie got bought for 20m he must be good. Actually watch mcburnie and form an opinion on him. Apparently he has played well recently from what others have said so maybe he's worth a shout for the starting position but I think his performances for Scotland have been so poor that Clarke will yet again go for somebody else to play upfront.

Guest ElChris04

Hate this opinion of “Because he cost this x amount” or “because he plays for this club” it means he’s automatically better or called up. The market is outrageous down south. Oliver Burke has racked in £30 million or around that in transfer fees for example.. I highly doubt he’s worth that. 

Guest ElChris04
9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am just being honest about his performances, I have literally never seen mcburnie play well, I have always watched him and thought how the fuck did this guy become a professional. I actually had high hopes for the guy when he was breaking through for Swansea and I reckon I have followed the guy more than most on here. I kept tabs on him when he was going out on loan to the likes of Newport and Barnsley and I can honestly say I have always been left shocked at how bad he was. 

Why is this so far from reality, if I watch a player and he plays poorly I am going to form an opinion that he isn't very good. You have already said you don't remember who has played well and who started in our matches so you obviously can't form an opinion on who is a good player. You are just assuming that because mcburnie got bought for 20m he must be good. Actually watch mcburnie and form an opinion on him. Apparently he has played well recently from what others have said so maybe he's worth a shout for the starting position but I think his performances for Scotland have been so poor that Clarke will yet again go for somebody else to play upfront.

For Scotland, absolutely spot on.

He works alright for Sheffield in his link up play as he bounces off the other striker as having a Sheffield Utd supporting mate he’d echo the same. And for the formation we play he doesn’t fit out style of play unless Clarke is going to switch to 2 strikers McBurnie can link up with it’s a real dodgy move to play him (even if his team mate fleck was to play) because we all know clarke and the 4-3-3 formation he’s content with playing and who’s to say he’s going to change the system he’s used continuously in the biggest game in 20 years for Scotland. 

6 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

He works alright for Sheffield in his link up play as he bounces off the other striker as having a Sheffield Utd supporting mate he’d echo the same. And for the formation we play he doesn’t fit out style of play unless Clarke is going to switch to 2 strikers McBurnie can link up with it’s a real dodgy move to play him (even if his team mate fleck was to play) because we all know clarke and the 4-3-3 formation he’s content with playing and who’s to say he’s going to change the system he’s used continuously in the biggest game in 20 years for Scotland. 

Griffiths is playing in a 2 as well. I prefer him to mcburnie but i have reservations about griffiths playing the lone striker role nowdays

13 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Hate this opinion of “Because he cost this x amount” or “because he plays for this club” it means he’s automatically better or called up. The market is outrageous down south. Oliver Burke has racked in £30 million or around that in transfer fees for example.. I highly doubt he’s worth that. 

The he cost X amount scenario works in reverse at club level and I don't see many fans complaining about the money spent on the Sheffield United forum

33 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Biggest game in 20 years?

Can you explain that statement please.

Guest ElChris04
2 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Biggest game in 20 years?

Can you explain that statement please.

I’ll explain in a nutshell. 

it’s a playoff game the closest we’ve been to directly qualifying, After Israel it’s then Norway or Serbia. Despite how tough both will be it’s 2 games from getting to a major tourney in  20 years and that’s the reality of How critical it is for the country. 

41 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

That’s how football works though, it’s a complete hierarchy, the better you are, the higher up the hierarchy you move. (Take Andy Robertson as an example.... Liverpool are better than Hull are better than Dundee United are better than Queen’s Park.) If you play well at a smaller club, you move on to a bigger club.

Obviously there is some margin for error and movement within that, but not enough margin that a Hearts player would be better than a current Sheffield United first team regular. It wouldn’t be possible for Hearts and Sheffield United to be in their current positions if that were the case. If Hearts had any players that good, they would soon move further up the football pyramid.

2 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

I’ll explain in a nutshell. 

it’s a playoff game the closest we’ve been to directly qualifying, After Israel it’s then Norway or Serbia. Despite how tough both will be it’s 2 games from getting to a major tourney in  20 years and that’s the reality of How critical it is for the country. 

We’ve been one game away several times in the last 20 years, so by your own definition, wouldn’t those games have been bigger?

58 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I have seen McBurnie’s poor performances for Scotland as well. However, I understand that there is no leap of logic from there to him being a poor player.

There is far too much evidence against that for that to be true.

Also, I wasn’t aware that he was still only 23, I thought he was slightly older than that. I think you need to tone down your abuse of a player who could be a key player for us for many years to come.

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Naismith has played better for Scotland than McBurnie has in the past 12 months. 

I would rather judge players on 40 matches than 5 matches.

Maybe that’s the statistician in me, but I was always told to aim for as large a sample size as possible! Two matches each in the qualifying group isn’t a relevant sample size for me. Especially when we have a more relevant sample size we can analyse.

1 minute ago, dohadeer said:

I would rather judge players on 40 matches than 5 matches.

Maybe that’s the statistician in me, but I was always told to aim for as large a sample size as possible! Two matches each in the qualifying group isn’t a relevant sample size for me. Especially when we have a more relevant sample size we can analyse.

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I have seen McBurnie’s poor performances for Scotland as well. However, I understand that there is no leap of logic from there to him being a poor player.

There is far too much evidence against that for that to be true.

Also, I wasn’t aware that he was still only 23, I thought he was slightly older than that. I think you need to tone down your abuse of a player who could be a key player for us for many years to come.

You said yesterday you couldn’t remember players performances.

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

You said yesterday you couldn’t remember players performances.

I said/meant that I can’t remember which specific players played which matches.

I could tell you our results/goalscorers for every competitive game, but I couldn’t tell you which players played in each match. I’m amazed/impressed if people can!

25 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

We’ve been one game away several times in the last 20 years, so by your own definition, wouldn’t those games have been bigger?

Have we? I can only remember one - our last playoff in 2003. 

One game away from a playoff a few times maybe?

The big difference this time I suppose is we don’t need to beat Italy or get a draw in Amsterdam. Lots of people appear to be shiting themselves from Norway and Serbia but I’d rather play them than one of the big boys. 

We just need to get past Israel first. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

From casually watching him play, I've got to say I agree. Every time I see highlights of him his movement is atrocious...he seems to more often than not move into the least dangerous / helpful positions. And unable really to control the ball. 

He must be able to do something right, but I've never seen it. He is also a tool. 

7 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Fair enough, if that’s his criteria. That seems a ridiculously small sample of matches to be judging people on.

To me, if we’re going to go into international matches with a Hearts player (bottom of the Scottish Premiership) up front, we might as well admit defeat before we’ve started.

Shankland’s call-up was a bit of a frightening watershed moment for me, as I didn’t think we were THAT bad - I still don’t - to be needing to be selecting players from the Scottish Championship.

I think it’s crazy to select a Hearts player over a Sheffield United player, by basing the decision on two performances, against Cyprus and Kazakhstan.

A player is more than just his current club though. That is far too one dimensional an analysis of a players worth. 

Naismith brings a wealth of experience and success from a much higher level than hearts. And I see him carry that into the games he plays for Scotland. 

9 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

A player is more than just his current club though. That is far too one dimensional an analysis of a players worth. 

Naismith brings a wealth of experience and success from a much higher level than hearts. And I see him carry that into the games he plays for Scotland. 

I can’t see Naismith starting against Israel unless he starts banging in the goals for Hearts. Or unless Griffiths isn’t available. 

Naismith has done well for us in the past but he is not in good form at the moment.