Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 119 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:
Aberdeen's non Scotsmen today.

Aberdeen's non Scotsmen today, have or would any of them make a living playing football any were else? Are the Scots players any better?

Joe Lewis

Ash Taylor

Shaleum Logan

Connor McLennan

Funso Ojo

Niall McGinn

Curtis Main

This is the team that is third in the League.

Most are probably happy to be at Aberdeen although Joe lewis is a decent keeper.

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Aberdeen's non Scotsmen today, have or would any of them make a living playing football any were else? Are the Scots players any better?

Joe Lewis

Ash Taylor

Shaleum Logan

Connor McLennan

Funso Ojo

Niall McGinn

Curtis Main

Connor mclennan is scottish. Born 20 miles north of aberdeen.

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

Utter drivel, there’s no point even debating it though, as your second paragraph shows your incapable of actual thought. Football doesn’t work like that. 

Ah sod it, look over the last year, who has been better for Scotland, Naismith or McBurnie? 

I’m guessing because you asked the question that Naismith has been better for Scotland?

I’ll be honest and say that I don’t remember which players started which particular games for us, let alone how well they played in those games.

Judging by the opposing views on here, I think that there are two very different - and probably both equally valid - opinions on team selection. Some people are very interested in performance levels and ‘form’ that players have shown during previous matches for Scotland. That’s a fair point, as it could show whether their game is suited to our formation, to playing with our other players, whether they are motivated when playing for Scotland, etc.

There is also the other opinion, which I take, which is that international games are so far apart, you can’t really carry international form on into the next set of games, months later. Also, international games are such a small sample size in terms of showing a player’s ability. If a player has had 5 or 10 poor games for Scotland, that is totally irrelevant for me, and just a coincidence. I’m happy for players to be judged on the form they show for their clubs, week in and week out, rather than the odd international game, every couple of months.

Both viewpoints, although different, seem quite valid to me. Some of our fans seem to bear grudges very easily. If a player has had a few poor games in a Scotland shirt, our fans want them out of the team, and ignore the larger evidence of what they are doing for their club side. 

Also, our level of opponents and our performances have been very polarised over the past couple of years. We’ve either played teams who are obviously beneath us, and put in a good display, or put in a really bad display, mostly against teams way above us, but also a few against lower teams as well. Most of these games we’ve been either dreadful as a whole, or good as a whole. We haven’t faced many teams in and around our own level for a while, games where some of our team have played well, and some have played badly. It’s become difficult to see the different performance levels of individuals, when our team performances have been so polarised. Most of our games over this campaign have either been a clear success or a clear failure. None of our 14 competitive games towards Euro 2020 have been a draw, in fact few have even been close to being a draw. 

9 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’m guessing because you asked the question that Naismith has been better for Scotland?

I’ll be honest and say that I don’t remember which players started which particular games for us, let alone how well they played in those games.

Judging by the opposing views on here, I think that there are two very different - and probably both equally valid - opinions on team selection. Some people are very interested in performance levels and ‘form’ that players have shown during previous matches for Scotland. That’s a fair point, as it could show whether their game is suited to our formation, to playing with our other players, whether they are motivated when playing for Scotland, etc.

There is also the other opinion, which I take, which is that international games are so far apart, you can’t really carry international form on into the next set of games, months later. Also, international games are such a small sample size in terms of showing a player’s ability. If a player has had 5 or 10 poor games for Scotland, that is totally irrelevant for me, and just a coincidence. I’m happy for players to be judged on the form they show for their clubs, week in and week out, rather than the odd international game, every couple of months.

Both viewpoints, although different, seem quite valid to me. Some of our fans seem to bear grudges very easily. If a player has had a few poor games in a Scotland shirt, our fans want them out of the team, and ignore the larger evidence of what they are doing for their club side. 

Also, our level of opponents and our performances have been very polarised over the past couple of years. We’ve either played teams who are obviously beneath us, and put in a good display, or put in a really bad display, mostly against teams way above us, but also a few against lower teams as well. Most of these games we’ve been either dreadful as a whole, or good as a whole. We haven’t faced many teams in and around our own level for a while, games where some of our team have played well, and some have played badly. It’s become difficult to see the different performance levels of individuals, when our team performances have been so polarised. Most of our games over this campaign have either been a clear success or a clear failure. None of our 14 competitive games towards Euro 2020 have been a draw, in fact few have even been close to being a draw. 

😂😂

Chripper/TDK/Dohadeer, look, I don’t care if you’re the same person or not, but please stop writing essays on the vast majority of your comments. Verbosity is not a great look on a forum and that’s why people become frustrated and bored of your comments. Less is sometimes best. Fans have wildly different views as it should be but most of your comments are interminably long and lose any impact you’re hoping for. Merely a friendly, helpful suggestion from me, that’s all. 

Edited by RabtheBruce
Typo

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

The dark knight returns 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Joe Lewis

Ash Taylor

Shaleum Logan

Connor McLennan

Funso Ojo

Niall McGinn

Curtis Main

Read same for any other sofl team

Average foreign overpaid dross populating every side

People like Curtis Main, who are willing runners

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I could reply to each sentence, or paragraph, and you'd do the same, so whats the point.

All I will say is, the bit in bold IMO, clearly shows you have a massive, monumental logic gap in your understanding of football. 10 poor games is totally irrelevant, dear god, thats almost an entire qualifying campaign over two years.

Also, 'bear grudges' is a ridiculous term to use.

Edited by kumnio

25 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Read same for any other sofl team

Average foreign overpaid dross populating every side

People like Curtis Main, who are willing runners

Wasn't picking on Aberdeen, was just because they were playing today and the worst thing is it's nearly as bad in the Scottish Championship.

We go on about too much money in the EPL and championship, maybe there's too much in the SPL which is why we are so attractive to mediocrity.

21 hours ago, dohadeer said:

If Clarke picks Naismith over McBurnie, in a potential away game in Norway or Serbia, then heaven help us.

Regardless of what games you personally have seen, or McBurnie has played under Clarke, surely you have to admit that a 24-year-old, £20 million player, at the top end of the English Premiership, has to be picked ahead of a 33-year-old, playing for the bottom team in the Scottish Premiership?

There is a vast difference in the qualities of those two players currently - in McBurnie’s favour, obviously - and if there wasn’t, their teams wouldn’t be in the positions they find themselves in now. No way could there currently be similar standard strikers playing up front for Hearts and Sheffield United. That isn’t logically possible.

We can’t pick Naismith ahead of McBurnie just because he has done more for Scotland in the past. That isn’t enough to merit a current pick.

Clarke will pick Naismith over mcburnie like he did the last two games. The reason he will do this is because Naismith has actually played well as opposed to mcburnies awful performances. It doesn't matter who's playing at a better level or who got bought for 20m pound, if you play crap in every Scotland game you have had you will probably not get picked. Have you actually watched mcburnie? I have followed the guy since he was getting loaned out to lower league clubs by Swansea. I have watched him in u21 games and he's pretty much been dire everytime, I have genuinely watched him and thought how did this guy become a professional. Now obviously he must have a some ability because he's managed to score goals at championship level but going by the performance of Naismith in the last two games compared to mcburnies performances then I would always pick Naismith. I would also pick Steven Fletcher over mcburnie and he's playing at lower level than mcburnie. Same with Griffith's.

You last paragraph baffles me, you should pick the player who has played well especially if it was in the last two games and especially if the other player has been terrible in his games. That's just common sense

11 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Ok, so he’s on his way to bigger and better things? That’s fine, maybe Edouard is a better player than McBurnie then.

The important debate here is Griffiths versus McBurnie, I’m not sure why somebody changed it to Edouard/Morelos versus McBurnie.

I used Édouard and Morelos as an example of two players who cost alot less than mcburnie. How much a player goes for is not always an indicator of how good he is. Burke for example has gone for nearly 30m but I would probably rather Forrest and Fraser as a our wingers. Epl clubs have more money than sense and are always wasting huge sums of money on absolute dross.

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I have followed the guy since he was getting loaned out to lower league clubs by Swansea. I have watched him in u21 games and he's pretty much been dire everytime, I have genuinely watched him and thought how did this guy become a professional.

Well the majority of Barsley, Swansea and Sheffield United fans disagree with you so lets leave it at that, before you make yourself look any dumber. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

36 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I used Édouard and Morelos as an example of two players who cost alot less than mcburnie. How much a player goes for is not always an indicator of how good he is. Burke for example has gone for nearly 30m but I would probably rather Forrest and Fraser as a our wingers. Epl clubs have more money than sense and are always wasting huge sums of money on absolute dross.

Yeah, I wasn’t judging solely on value, as like you say, the English Premiership tends to spend ridiculous amounts of money on players.

I was judging on Sheffield United’s unbelievable season, and the large amount of those games that McBurnie has played in, that his signing has clearly been a success.

47 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Clarke will pick Naismith over mcburnie like he did the last two games. The reason he will do this is because Naismith has actually played well as opposed to mcburnies awful performances. It doesn't matter who's playing at a better level or who got bought for 20m pound, if you play crap in every Scotland game you have had you will probably not get picked. Have you actually watched mcburnie? I have followed the guy since he was getting loaned out to lower league clubs by Swansea. I have watched him in u21 games and he's pretty much been dire everytime, I have genuinely watched him and thought how did this guy become a professional. Now obviously he must have a some ability because he's managed to score goals at championship level but going by the performance of Naismith in the last two games compared to mcburnies performances then I would always pick Naismith. I would also pick Steven Fletcher over mcburnie and he's playing at lower level than mcburnie. Same with Griffith's.

You last paragraph baffles me, you should pick the player who has played well especially if it was in the last two games and especially if the other player has been terrible in his games. That's just common sense

I don’t believe that the last two Scotland games are the most relevant factor in team selection, given that they were months and months ago. I think current club form is more relevant. You think recent Scotland form is more relevant. Both equally valid, although different, viewpoints, surely?

5 hours ago, kumnio said:

I could reply to each sentence, or paragraph, and you'd do the same, so whats the point.

All I will say is, the bit in bold IMO, clearly shows you have a massive, monumental logic gap in your understanding of football. 10 poor games is totally irrelevant, dear god, thats almost an entire qualifying campaign over two years.

Also, 'bear grudges' is a ridiculous term to use.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. 10 games is not irrelevant, but it’s a much smaller sample size than the many successful games he has had for Swansea and Sheffield United. Those 70 games or whatever carry more weight than 10 games, as it’s a larger sample size.

7 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

Chripper/TDK/Dohadeer, look, I don’t care if you’re the same person or not, but please stop writing essays on the vast majority of your comments. Verbosity is not a great look on a forum and that’s why people become frustrated and bored of your comments. Less is sometimes best. Fans have wildly different views as it should be but most of your comments are interminably long and lose any impact you’re hoping for. Merely a friendly, helpful suggestion from me, that’s all. 

Thanks, I will try to take that on board. I do try to be as succinct as possible, but I like to justify myself and provide reasoning/evidence when stating an opinion, but you’re right, it does get a bit waffling at times. 

Unintentional, I promise.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well the majority of Barsley, Swansea and Sheffield United fans disagree with you so lets leave it at that, before you make yourself look any dumber. 

Lol I don't give a shit what those fans think, I base my opinions on actually watching a player and hes been terrible every time I watched him.