Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 117 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

41 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Thankfully Steve Clarke is picking the team and not you. If he has reason to choose Griffiths ahead of McBurnie, then so be it, but thankfully that decision will be based on more than the 10 or so times that you claim to have seen McBurnie play.

Leigh Griffiths wouldn’t get near to playing for an English Premiership side. Let alone one that is close to the Champions League positions, with a dozen games to go. Scoring goals in the Scottish Premiership does not an all-round footballer make.

Also, please stop putting an apostrophe in Griffiths’ name. Where did you get that idea from? You’re not helping your argument if you don’t even know his name!

I am willing to bet Clarke picks either Naismith or griffiths over mcburnie and the reason will be because mcburnie has been terrible every time he's been picked by Clarke. If a player is terrible in 10 games or more then i am generally going to have a poor opinion of his ability. As I said I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt and he can get some more gametime in friendlies.

Griffiths has been recovering from mental illness so he probably wouldn't get a game for an epl side atm but if he gets back to his best then he would be easily good enough for a lower half epl team. Mcburnie will probably settle at that level as well tbf but I think he's a poor player and just because he's getting the odd game for a high flying Sheffield United team doesn't change the fact he's a poor player. 

The apostrophe is due to autocorrect and it's pretty irrelevant to the argument. I just can't be fucked going back and changing it everytime I write his name.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mcburnie will probably settle at that level as well tbf but I think he's a poor player and just because he's getting the odd game for a high flying Sheffield United team doesn't change the fact he's a poor player. 

He's been involved in 24 of Sheffield Unites 26 matches and has started the last five so hardly the odd game

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's had a good six months in the championship and that's it. As I have said I ain't someone who has a vendetta against 

He had a good entire season last year unless I missed something.

Or was the good six months the season before when he was on loan at relegation bound Barnsley in the championship and scored nine goals in sixteen games. Won the supporters player of the year there too so maybe the Barnsley fans know nothing about football either.

35 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Maybe you should watch some football rather than just assume then come back on this site at a later date when you have an opinion of players that folk will take seriously. 

My point is that there’s only so much football any of us on here can watch. It’s not as much as the managers, coaches, scouts and other employees who work in football all week. If they think that McBurnie/Morelos/Edouard or whoever are of a certain level, then they’re probably right since A. They are basing that on analyzing far more football than you or I possibly could and B. They know far more about football than you or I do.

My opinion of players is completely irrelevant, as is yours, as we don’t have any knowledge to back our opinions up. If people who work in football think that Oli McBurnie is worth £20 million, and their team are currently flying high in the English Premiership, then chances are they know what they’re talking about. Which very few of us on here do.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am willing to bet Clarke picks either Naismith or griffiths over mcburnie and the reason will be because mcburnie has been terrible every time he's been picked by Clarke. If a player is terrible in 10 games or more then i am generally going to have a poor opinion of his ability. As I said I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt and he can get some more gametime in friendlies.

Griffiths has been recovering from mental illness so he probably wouldn't get a game for an epl side atm but if he gets back to his best then he would be easily good enough for a lower half epl team. Mcburnie will probably settle at that level as well tbf but I think he's a poor player and just because he's getting the odd game for a high flying Sheffield United team doesn't change the fact he's a poor player. 

The apostrophe is due to autocorrect and it's pretty irrelevant to the argument. I just can't be fucked going back and changing it everytime I write his name.

If Clarke picks Naismith over McBurnie, in a potential away game in Norway or Serbia, then heaven help us.

Regardless of what games you personally have seen, or McBurnie has played under Clarke, surely you have to admit that a 24-year-old, £20 million player, at the top end of the English Premiership, has to be picked ahead of a 33-year-old, playing for the bottom team in the Scottish Premiership?

There is a vast difference in the qualities of those two players currently - in McBurnie’s favour, obviously - and if there wasn’t, their teams wouldn’t be in the positions they find themselves in now. No way could there currently be similar standard strikers playing up front for Hearts and Sheffield United. That isn’t logically possible.

We can’t pick Naismith ahead of McBurnie just because he has done more for Scotland in the past. That isn’t enough to merit a current pick.

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Do you think McBurnie would start for Celtic... Right now? I seriously doubt it 

It’s a fair question, and perhaps he wouldn’t, (I think he would) but Scotland’s scenarios are obviously the same as Sheffield United’s scenarios and not Celtic’s.

What I mean is, we go into games having to scrap for every draw or win, like Sheffield United do. We’re not like Celtic, who will win something like 80% of their matches, and only need to worry about which strikers will put away the umpteen chances they create. We need to worry about much more than that, when selecting our strikers, like Sheffield United do, and the kind of soaking up pressure, counter-attacking game they play, is exactly the same as what will be required of us. So, McBurnie being successful up front for Sheffield United, is much more relevant to Scotland than Griffiths being successful up front for Celtic.

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I would assume that McBurnie is of a similar level to Edouard and Morelos, but I really don’t know enough about any of them, that’s just a simple assumption based on the level that they are currently playing at.

Edouard is a gazillion times the player McBurnie is or likely ever will be. You're right - you don't know enough about them as even using the 2 in the same sentence without the words "couldnae lace his boots" being in there somewhere is ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Edouard is a gazillion times the player McBurnie is or likely ever will be. You're right - you don't know enough about them as even using the 2 in the same sentence without the words "couldnae lace his boots" being in there somewhere is ridiculous.

Why is Edouard playing for Celtic then? I’m not being flippant, just asking a genuine question.

I don’t think that someone who is ‘a gazillion times’ an English Premiership player would be playing for Celtic.

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Why is Edouard playing for Celtic then? I’m not being flippant, just asking a genuine question.

I don’t think that someone who is ‘a gazillion times’ an English Premiership player would be playing for Celtic.

I present to you Henrik Larsson, a genuinely world class player who was ten times the player michael owen ever was

11 minutes ago, Rohan said:

I present to you Henrik Larsson, a genuinely world class player who was ten times the player michael owen ever was

That was 15 years ago, when I believe Old Firm wages would have been a lot closer to the major leagues than they are now. Also, Larsson did leave Celtic and go on to much bigger clubs.

Where is everyone getting these ‘ten times the player’ and ‘a gazillion times the player’ from?

What does being twice as good or five times as good as another player even mean? It’s not something that’s quantifiable in those terms, and hyperbole like that isn’t helpful to the discussion at all.

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Do you think McBurnie would start for Celtic... Right now? I seriously doubt it 

Not a hope in hell. £20 million pound player, and playing in England so he simply must be good, the armchair experts have spoken. 

7 hours ago, dohadeer said:

If Clarke picks Naismith over McBurnie, in a potential away game in Norway or Serbia, then heaven help us.

Regardless of what games you personally have seen, or McBurnie has played under Clarke, surely you have to admit that a 24-year-old, £20 million player, at the top end of the English Premiership, has to be picked ahead of a 33-year-old, playing for the bottom team in the Scottish Premiership?

There is a vast difference in the qualities of those two players currently - in McBurnie’s favour, obviously - and if there wasn’t, their teams wouldn’t be in the positions they find themselves in now. No way could there currently be similar standard strikers playing up front for Hearts and Sheffield United. That isn’t logically possible.

We can’t pick Naismith ahead of McBurnie just because he has done more for Scotland in the past. That isn’t enough to merit a current pick.

Utter drivel, there’s no point even debating it though, as your second paragraph shows your incapable of actual thought. Football doesn’t work like that. 

Ah sod it, look over the last year, who has been better for Scotland, Naismith or McBurnie? 

12 hours ago, JECK said:

Hopefully he has been yeah great. I really hope he becomes the player everyone thinks he will. There's just been too many times I've been left thinking "wtf was that" when I've watched him whether it be a pass or a first touch. 

Same. 

Was surprised how bad his basic ability was the first time I seen him play after he left Forrest for all that money. 

Can’t see him ever becoming a regular for us 

7 hours ago, dohadeer said:

What has McBurnie done for Scotland in his 9 caps?

From what I’ve seen of him, he’s in no way suited to play up front for us alone away to either team. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

What has McBurnie done for Scotland in his 9 caps?

From what I’ve seen of him, he’s in no way suited to play up front for us alone away to either team. 

It took the thumb 5 years to score his first Scotland goal... I also watched him play against Belgium, and I can honestly say its the most disinterested performance I've ever seen from anyone in a Scotland jersey

32 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It took the thumb 5 years to score his first Scotland goal... I also watched him play against Belgium, and I can honestly say its the most disinterested performance I've ever seen from anyone in a Scotland jersey

He did. But he’s also scored 4 in his last 7 for us and arguably offers more in and out of the box that what McBurnie does.

8 hours ago, dohadeer said:

One of the oddest arguments I see on here is along the lines of "if he was any good he wouldn't be playing in Scotland".  Doesn't seem to take into consideration that they maybe won't forever. Imagine saying if about Van dijk when he was af Celtic?