Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 116 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Hanley has been outstanding... No matter how the result ends up. 

The no-nothings in our support will never accept him though, because he had a few shite games when he was young. We'd rather play pish players from Killie, Motherwell, Hearts or Aberdeen...ffs

McBurnie gets the same treatment...the amount of fans willing us to play Brophy or Shankland over a guy playing against the some of the best centre backs in the world is absolutely nuts... But that's the tartan army fur ye. 

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

No he wasn't, he broke through at 17 at rangers and looked really promising but he struggled to make it at an average rangers side and had to go down to the English third tier to play regularly. It did him some good because he's worked his way up but he's not some brilliant talent, he's worked hard and has a bit of technical ability. One good season in the epl at the age of 28 doesn't make him more technically talented than Burke. Burke has shown in glimpses that he has ability but it's far to few and he's struggled. It's a myth that Burke has no ability at football and is just an athlete. You don't score a goal like he did against South Korea without having ability. Problem is he shows his ability once in 20 games. The rest of the time he looks like he's never seen a ball. However I highly doubt Burke will be playing league 1 in a years time like fleck did. 

Don't know where to start with that...Think it doesn't help we're comparing 2 different positions granted but on pure footballing natural ability there's no comparison actually. "Once in 20 games" might give you a wee clue.

3 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The no-nothings in our support will never accept him though, because he had a few shite games when he was young. We'd rather play pish players from Killie, Motherwell, Hearts or Aberdeen...ffs

McBurnie gets the same treatment...the amount of fans willing us to play Brophy or Shankland over a guy playing against the some of the best centre backs in the world is absolutely nuts... But that's the tartan army fur ye. 

Exactly Hanley is playing against players every week who are far superior to what any of our other defenders face. 

Edited by bigfingers

8 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I agree with what your saying regards Hanley and it is right most of the time to play players playing at the highest level but mcburnie has genuinely looked terrible every time I have watched him and I would play a good few strikers before him even if they aren't playing at as high level as there are plenty of situations where a player has chosen to play at a lower level. Griffith's imo is a superior player than mcburnie but has chosen to stay in the spl. Naismith played alot better than mcburnie has in the last game so he would get the nod over mcburnie as well. I would still keep mcburnie in the squad and he should be given another chance to impress but just because he's playing in the epl doesn't mean he's better than Griffith's or even Naismith.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I agree with what your saying regards Hanley and it is right most of the time to play players playing at the highest level but mcburnie has genuinely looked terrible every time I have watched him and I would play a good few strikers before him even if they aren't playing at as high level as there are plenty of situations where a player has chosen to play at a lower level. Griffith's imo is a superior player than mcburnie but has chosen to stay in the spl. Naismith played alot better than mcburnie has in the last game so he would get the nod over mcburnie as well. I would still keep mcburnie in the squad and he should be given another chance to impress but just because he's playing in the epl doesn't mean he's better than Griffith's or even Naismith.

This sums up the naivety and ignorance that I think a lot of our fans show though.

’mcburnie (sic) has genuinely looked terrible every time I have watched him.’

Do you not think, that a player who top-scored in the English Championship, who Sheffield United paid £20 million for, and who is getting regular games for a team at the top-end of the English Premiership, is presumably a decent footballer? I would assume that you just happen to have seen him having bad games. Surely the Sheffield United scouts know what they’re doing, and would be better placed to judge the player than you? Surely you don’t become top scorer in the English Championship, without being a very good footballer?

I’ve seen McBurnie have bad games as well. However, I don’t judge him only on what I’ve seen with my own eyes. There’s plenty of other evidence out there as to him being our best striker by quite some distance.

I can’t understand why Scotland fans judge players so quickly on the limited glimpses they have had of these players in international games, rather than judging them on ALL the evidence that is out there.

Edited by dohadeer

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

This sums up the naivety and ignorance that I think a lot of our fans show though.

Do you not think, that a player who top-scored in the English Championship, who Sheffield United paid £20 million for, and who is getting regular games for a team at the top-end of the English Premiership, is presumably a decent footballer? I would assume that you just happen to have seen him having bad games. Surely the Sheffield United scouts know what they’re doing, and would be better placed to judge the player than you? Surely you don’t become top scorer in the English Championship, without being a very good footballer?

I’ve seen McBurnie have bad games as well. However, I don’t judge him only on what I’ve seen with my own eyes. There’s plenty of other evidence out there as to him being our best striker by quite some distance.

I can’t understand why Scotland fans judge players so quickly on the limited glimpses they have had of these players in international games, rather than judging them on ALL the evidence that is out there.

That's as good a 'telt' as I've seen on here... 

... I like Griffiths, but his record for Scotland isn't exactly stellar, while Naismith is clearly yesterday's man. 

13 minutes ago, JECK said:

Don't know where to start with that...Think it doesn't help we're comparing 2 different positions granted but on pure footballing natural ability there's no comparison actually. "Once in 20 games" might give you a wee clue.

That's a form problem as opposed to a ability problem. Lots of players have technical ability but only show it every so often. Mackay Steven was a great example of this, he would have great games where he was skillful and unplayable but then he would be absolutely rubbish for the next 6 games. Burke has moments in matches where he looks brilliant but most of the time he runs around like a headless chicken. His positioning and ability to read the game is non existent but there are moments when he can pick up the ball and dribble past players with ease and pick out a pass. He did this alot at Nottingham forest and even did it in his first few games at Leipzig. Problem is he rarely does this with any consistency and looks at times like a total enigma. A good example of Burke's ability is his assist for Celtic against at Johnstone(I think) he shows ability and composure to pick out a pass after beating his man for pace. If he was to do that every third or even fourth game he would be the player we are hoping for but he only does this every 10 or more games. It's like his recent assist for alaves a couple of months ago. He picks out a perfect pass for his team mate to score but most of the games I have seen for alaves he looks like a headless chicken. I firmly believe that Burke's problem is a mental one where his concentration and composure are very hit and miss with it being more often miss than hit. If he can solve this then I believe he could be a special player. 

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

That's as good a 'telt' as I've seen on here... 

... I like Griffiths, but his record for Scotland isn't exactly stellar, while Naismith is clearly yesterday's man. 

Yeah, I agree.

Griffiths is a good option for us - especially seeing how limited our attacking options are - and sometimes it is difficult to compare players playing in different leagues.

However, no way is Leigh Griffiths a £20 million player, who could get a place in a team flying high in the English Premiership.

8 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I am judging mcburnie on quite a few performances. I watched him for the u21s and I watched him for Swansea a couple of times as well as his Scotland senior games. I am probably basing my opinion of ten or more games. Imo if someone looks terrible in ten or more games then I will generally look to other options like Naismith who looked good in his last appearance or Griffith's who I have seen look good in countless matches for Scotland and Celtic. 

I ain't someone who just slags mcburnie for the sake of it and I believe there must be some kind of ability there if Sheffield United are willing to play him and give him a chance but he's just not impressed at all anytime I have watched him. He has looked like he's never seen a football in the games I have watched. I was genuinely flabbergasted that Sheffield United paid 20m for him and it just shows how disgustingly rich the epl is. 

I will however accept that mcburnie has maybe just be unfortunate to play terrible in all the matches I have watched and I am happy for him to be picked for the squad and he should be given some more chances to impress in friendlies but I don't want to place our striking hopes in him for our upcoming play offs and I would much rather Griff or Naismith to start.

12 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Yeah, I agree.

Griffiths is a good option for us - especially seeing how limited our attacking options are - and sometimes it is difficult to compare players playing in different leagues.

However, no way is Leigh Griffiths a £20 million player, who could get a place in a team flying high in the English Premiership.

This might be true but I would still have Griffith's starting over mcburnie all day long. I also think that if Griffith's was in the sort of form he was when he scored 40 goals in a season he would be worth near 20m in today's terms. The inflation of transfer fees has really taken a huge leap in the last 5 years and a player scoring goals in the spl like Édouard or Morelos are probably worth 20m. Also epl clubs don't rate Scottish football rightly or wrongly so will often not pay alot for players in the spl. Just look at van dijk or dembele, as soon as they are out of Scotland for five mins their value rockets purely because the big leagues don't rate Scottish football. Mcburnie might of been bought for 20m but that doesn't mean he's a good player. It means that the epl has way more money than sense. Édouard was bought for 9m but I would have him over mcburnie. Infact I reckon I could name literally dozens of strikers who have been bought for dirt cheap who are better than overpriced guys. Hell even Burke has racked up 30m in transfer fees but that doesn't mean he's better than Ryan Fraser who was picked up for relatively buttons.

10 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Do you think Griffiths would start for Sheffield United... Right now? I seriously doubt it 

Sheffield United are having a great season so far but they are not top side. Personally I would pick Griffith's over mcburnie and I reckon there's a good chance Clarke will as well for Scotland. For what it's worth I would start Griffith's over mcburnie for Sheffield United but I doubt wilder would and that's probably down to English ppl not rating the spl. I don't blame them as it's quite often a terrible standard but I will hand on heart say that I would nearly always pick Griffith's over mcburnie due to the amount of times I have seen mcburnie be absolutely terrible and the fact that I always been impressed with Griffith's every time I have watched him. Take the 20m transfer away and what evidence is there that mcburnie is a good player. He's had a good six months in the championship and that's it. As I have said I ain't someone who has a vendetta against mcburnie which clearly there are some who do on here but I just genuinely don't get how a player who I have watched more than 10 times can be so dreadfully poor at the basics of controlling a ball and passing to a team mate. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and keep him in our squad as he obviously can score goals at championship level but I would honestly rather Griffith's or Naismith upfront based on purely watching the players individually in games.

The answers no but I think English don't rate spl players until they are proven elsewhere. There's lots of Celtic players who wouldn't get a start for lower half epl clubs but I would be willing to bet that Celtic would beat most of those sides. Who wilder rates or not is irrelevant to me. I base my opinion on who I prefer and if some English manager wants to play an overrated player who cost 20m then so be it.

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Thanks... 

... Sheffield United are playing successfully at a far higher level than Celtic are. McBurnie isn't starting every week, but he's playing a fair amount of time... Without knowing it as fact, I'd wager that he has played far more fitba than Griffiths and Naismith combined, against far better players.

Ok so would you say mcburnie is better than Édouard or Morelos? Based on your logic mcburnie is better than those two. Also Naismith played in the epl for years and scored a brilliant hatrick against chelsea so I don't understand that point your making. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The answers no but I think English don't rate spl players until they are proven elsewhere. There's lots of Celtic players who wouldn't get a start for lower half epl clubs but I would be willing to bet that Celtic would beat most of those sides. Who wilder rates or not is irrelevant to me. I base my opinion on who I prefer and if some English manager wants to play an overrated player who cost 20m then so be it.

Thankfully Steve Clarke is picking the team and not you. If he has reason to choose Griffiths ahead of McBurnie, then so be it, but thankfully that decision will be based on more than the 10 or so times that you claim to have seen McBurnie play.

Leigh Griffiths wouldn’t get near to playing for an English Premiership side. Let alone one that is close to the Champions League positions, with a dozen games to go. Scoring goals in the Scottish Premiership does not an all-round footballer make.

Also, please stop putting an apostrophe in Griffiths’ name. Where did you get that idea from? You’re not helping your argument if you don’t even know his name!

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ok so would you say mcburnie is better than Édouard or Morelos? Based on your logic mcburnie is better than those two. Also Naismith played in the epl for years and scored a brilliant hatrick against chelsea so I don't understand that point your making. 

I would assume that McBurnie is of a similar level to Edouard and Morelos, but I really don’t know enough about any of them, that’s just a simple assumption based on the level that they are currently playing at.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Naismith wouldn't get a game for any team in the epl these days... While Édouard and Morelos are as proven at a good level as Shankland is. 

34 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I would assume that McBurnie is of a similar level to Edouard and Morelos, but I really don’t know enough about any of them, that’s just a simple assumption based on the level that they are currently playing at.

Seriously, Édouard especially is a world apart from mcburnie.

43 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Maybe you should watch some football rather than just assume then come back on this site at a later date when you have an opinion of players that folk will take seriously.