Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 112 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt he’ll get dropped after one mistake.

If he’s making lots of mistakes like that and does get dropped then would we want him starting against Israel anyway? 

He was dropped for a few games earlier this season so I could imagine it happening again.

And yeah I wouldn’t play him if he’s dropped. I just don’t like the alternatives - probably Jon McLaughlin or Liam Kelly’s debut. 

41 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

He was dropped for a few games earlier this season so I could imagine it happening again.

And yeah I wouldn’t play him if he’s dropped. I just don’t like the alternatives - probably Jon McLaughlin or Liam Kelly’s debut. 

I don’t think he was dropped. He missed a few games late last year due to a neck injury but I don’t remember him getting dropped for performance issues. If he was it wasn’t for long as he’s played 25 out of 32 league games and most, if not all, of the 7 games he missed was due to his injury. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think he was dropped. He missed a few games late last year due to a neck injury but I don’t remember him getting dropped for performance issues. If he was it wasn’t for long as he’s played 25 out of 32 league games and most, if not all, of the 7 games he missed was due to his injury. 

Ah, missed the fact that it was injury. 

The weekend will tell us more. 

On 2/10/2020 at 7:49 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

The lack of experimenting and development  has been a problem since the late 90's and is part and parcel of were we are today.

That's not true. We've done loads of experimenting with players, with a cast of thousands getting capped and very little depth of experience in the team. 

If anything I think the opposite is true. Our inability to find, inspire or stick with a committed group of 15 or 16 players over a prolonged period is a massive barrier to success.

30 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

That's not true. We've done loads of experimenting with players, with a cast of thousands getting capped and very little depth of experience in the team. 

If anything I think the opposite is true. Our inability to find, inspire or stick with a committed group of 15 or 16 players over a prolonged period is a massive barrier to success.

Can't argue much with that as long as it's 15 or 16 players. As long as your more promising players make up the remaining places I'm happy. We just won't let players go which is why we get credited with oldest average age awards. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Can't argue much with that as long as it's 15 or 16 players. As long as your more promising players make up the remaining places I'm happy. We just won't let players go which is why we get credited with oldest average age awards. 

In 2019 we played six games and used 29 different players - including substitute appearances.

Only three players featured in all six games, Callum McGregor, Ryan Christie and John McGinn.  Of those only McGregor started every game - clearly he is the first name on the teamsheet.

Injuries obviously play a part in that but the numbers really tell their own story.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

In 2019 we played six games and used 29 different players - including substitute appearances.

Only three players featured in all six games, Callum McGregor, Ryan Christie and John McGinn.  Of those only McGregor started every game - clearly he is the first name on the teamsheet.

Injuries obviously play a part in that but the numbers really tell their own story.

Indeed and the players (like Robertson and terney) need to take as much responsibility for the situation as management.

We need a much stronger captain for a starter (not before the euros though - unfortunately) who will give these cunts a boot up the arse and inspire some patriotism, rather than encourage the optional culture.

Rangers U19s played atletico Madrid U19s in the knockouts of the Uefa league. We got a bit of a lesson, they were quite experienced with most having played a lot of games for the atletico b side in division 3. Lost 4 nil but had a few chances mostly from set pieces. Atletico for a youth side are ridiculously well drilled and play just like their main team.

Patterson looked good offensively but struggled a bit defensively against Riqueleme, not surprising given Riqueleme is on the cusp of the atletico main team and was miles above everyone else on the park. Should be ahead of Flannigan and I'm disappointed in Gerrard that he got dumped for Polster despite impressing against Stranraer.

Kennedy looked bright, technically gifted and not afraid to work hard. I think he could end up a box-to-box CM, like to drop central and deep from the left and drive forward with the ball.

Mebude was quick, strong and hard working but still needs to develop the mental side of his game. He has learned off Morelos with his hold up and using his body to turn players. Still a long way to go but promising.

McPake seems to have really regressed since last year. He was considered the best at this level for rangers, but a poor loan to Dundee seems to have absolutely destroyed the boys confidence. Probably wasn't ready for that level or the size/expectations of Dundee at 17.

Truthfully it was a lesson of how far behind Scotland is at youth level and kind of showed the need for colt teams in the lower leagues,nearly everyone of atletico team had played a lot for the B side in a professional league and it showed. These lads aren't good enough for the first team yet but are too good for youth level in Scotland, to a point where it isn't challenging them to improve. Yes loans can help, but you don't really want to be loaning these lads out at 17/18 to clubs who could play different styles or have different coaching methods that could have a negative impact on the players development. Having 5/6 of the best club academies as colt sides wouldn't ruin the leagues and would give these lads valuable first team experience.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

25 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Indeed and the players (like Robertson and terney) need to take as much responsibility for the situation as management.

We need a much stronger captain for a starter (not before the euros though - unfortunately) who will give these cunts a boot up the arse and inspire some patriotism, rather than encourage the optional culture.

Tierney didn't play in any of those games.  

14 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Rangers U19s played atletico Madrid U19s in the knockouts of the Uefa league. We got a bit of a lesson, they were quite experienced with most having played a lot of games for the atletico b side in division 3. Lost 4 nil but had a few chances mostly from set pieces. Atletico for a youth side are ridiculously well drilled and play just like their main team.

Patterson looked good offensively but struggled a bit defensively against Riqueleme, not surprising given Riqueleme is on the cusp of the atletico main team and was miles above everyone else on the park. Should be ahead of Flannigan and I'm disappointed in Gerrard that he got dumped for Polster despite impressing against Stranraer.

Kennedy looked bright, technically gifted and not afraid to work hard. I think he could end up a box-to-box CM, like to drop central and deep from the left and drive forward with the ball.

Mebude was quick, strong and hard working but still needs to develop the mental side of his game. He has learned off Morelos with his hold up and using his body to turn players. Still a long way to go but promising.

McPake seems to have really regressed since last year. He was considered the best at this level for rangers, but a poor loan to Dundee seems to have absolutely destroyed the boys confidence. Probably wasn't ready for that level or the size/expectations of Dundee at 17.

Truthfully it was a lesson of how far behind Scotland is at youth level and kind of showed the need for colt teams in the lower leagues,nearly everyone of atletico team had played a lot for the B side in a professional league and it showed. These lads aren't good enough for the first team yet but are too good for youth level in Scotland, to a point where it isn't challenging them to improve. Yes loans can help, but you don't really want to be loaning these lads out at 17/18 to clubs who could play different styles or have different coaching methods that could have a negative impact on the players development. Having 5/6 of the best club academies as colt sides wouldn't ruin the leagues and would give these lads valuable first team experience.

Not sure if having colt/reserve teams playing in the lower leagues as is the case in Spain and Germany is really viable.   If anything there's probably too many clubs playing at the national level, could probably do with fewer not more.  Premier League teams expecting  existing clubs to step aside for their U21s isn't a great look. 

31 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not sure if having colt/reserve teams playing in the lower leagues as is the case in Spain and Germany is really viable.   If anything there's probably too many clubs playing at the national level, could probably do with fewer not more.  Premier League teams expecting  existing clubs to step aside for their U21s isn't a great look. 

Tbh the leagues need a complete rejig beyond the championship. Below level 5 it looks like it is going to be a complete mess in a few years with multiple divisions being set up on one side of the country. When the fifth tier was set up the colts should have been added then. They moved and created some clubs for that division, what was the point in that. I mean you could even add them to the new divisions being added.

A pyramid system of 2 leagues for the third tier, 3/4 leagues for the forth tier (colts coming in at that level, that way no team loses their place) and then regional divisions below that for promotion, is what I'd like.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Tbh the leagues need a complete rejig beyond the championship. Below level 5 it looks like it is going to be a complete mess in a few years with multiple divisions being set up on one side of the country. When the fifth tier was set up the colts should have been added then. They moved and created some clubs for that division, what was the point in that. I mean you could even add them to the new divisions being added.

A pyramid system of 2 leagues for the third tier, 3/4 leagues for the forth tier (colts coming in at that level, that way no team loses their place) and then regional divisions below that for promotion, is what I'd like.

I'd pretty much agree with that.