Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 110 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

15 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Heck of a lot of revisionism on this thread re Colin Hendry. He was not some sort of a Beckanbauer player. He wasn’t rubbish. But some comments here suggest he was something he really wasn’t.

He was good enough to play in Central defence for the best team in England for a spell in the 90’s.

At present we don’t even have a player good enough to play in central defence for a team in the top half in England. 

90s cb options weren't of calibre of 70s and 80s obviously but they were still better than current crop.

With Hendry you also had Colin Calderwood who was decent CB at Spurs. Weir and Gough played as regulars for Everton into mid 30s. Matt Elliott broke through around that time and was doing well for Leicester (had spells upfront for them). Also Christian Dailly who could fill a few positions and remember him randomly being linked with Juvetus.

Just solid no frills defenders who were regulars at decent premier league clubs, oh for two of them now as then the 11 would look pretty good.

46 minutes ago, JECK said:

You couldn't build a better footballer than Oliver Burke, trouble is ability wise he's no where near top level. English championship and that's at a push.

Wee bit unfair seeing as he's just scored in a higher standard of League than that

10 hours ago, duncan II said:

Heck of a lot of revisionism on this thread re Colin Hendry. He was not some sort of a Beckanbauer player. He wasn’t rubbish. But some comments here suggest he was something he really wasn’t.

If you’re referring to my comment I wasn’t suggesting Hendry was as good as Beckenbauer. 

Hendry was an excellent central defender though and streets ahead of anything we have in that position at the moment. 

10 hours ago, JECK said:

You couldn't build a better footballer than Oliver Burke, trouble is ability wise he's no where near top level. English championship and that's at a push.

Possibly but I honestly believe he has far more ability than he’s shown.

I have a feeling his career has stalled due to attitude and commitment issues rather than ability.

I’m not suggesting he’s as good as Messi or anything but he could be so much better than he is with the proper coaching and a better attitude. 

10 hours ago, duncan II said:

No one's claiming he was a beckanbaur, he was a good epl centre back and was probably a top 5 centre back in that league, we would love to have a centre back of his quality today. He was a key part of Blackburns title winning team of 95, a reasonable comparison would be Robert huth who won the title with Leicester but mostly played at mid level epl. Hendry was a excellent epl level centre back but not quite world class.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

No one's claiming he was a beckanbaur, he was a good epl centre back and was probably a top 5 centre back in that league, we would love to have a centre back of his quality today. He was a key part of Blackburns title winning team of 95, a reasonable comparison would be Robert huth who won the title with Leicester but mostly played at mid level epl. Hendry was a excellent epl level centre back but not quite world class.

He was nowhere near world class. A good player, yes. Struggled to get a game for Rangers though. 

12 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He was nowhere near world class. A good player, yes. Struggled to get a game for Rangers though. 

He was past his best when he went to rangers, he was a one of the best centre backs in the epl for a few years but as I said he wasn't world class but he was still a very good defender who could cut it at international level.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

The story is that Advocaat never wanted Hendry at Rangers in the first place. 

Murray thought he knew better and just went ahead and bought him one day without his managers approval. He did that with several players.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

He looks Short and fat and couldn’t score an open goal v San Marino.

Would rather McBurnie and that’s saying something. 

MoM performance by Mcburnie today, it's a  pity Clarke is unlikely to set up the team in a way that would see the best of him.

The distance Mcburnie covers in a game is amazing considering how lazy he looks.

Gutted he didn't get to play in any of the easier qualifiers over the last campaign a couple of goals and assists would have shut a few on here up.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

MoM performance by Mcburnie today, it's a  pity Clarke is unlikely to set up the team in a way that would see the best of him.

The distance Mcburnie covers in a game is amazing considering how lazy he looks.

Gutted he didn't get to play in any of the easier qualifiers over the last campaign a couple of goals and assists would have shut a few on here up.

Not being a complete helmet would have shut a few up on here too. 

Why the majority think he’s a dickhead, doesn’t care about Scotland & is largely pish, is his own doing. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Most people seem to be giving MoM to Sharp or Fraser. Running around like a headless chicken and missing a good chance shouldn’t really be enough for MoM in my opinion but it just shows how different people see different things in a performance.

I don’t have anything against McBurnie though and genuinely hope he becomes a big player for us but I do have my doubts. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Most people seem to be giving MoM to Sharp or Fraser. Running around like a headless chicken and missing a good chance shouldn’t really be enough for MoM in my opinion but it just shows how different people see different things in a performance.

I don’t have anything against McBurnie though and genuinely hope he becomes a big player for us but I do have my doubts. 

Guess I'm as guilty of doing what I accuse others of doing and just seeing what I want to see. One thing that cant be denied is that he can contribute a lot more in defence  than any of our other striking options and he has played a part in Sheffield Utd being were they are. A mile ahead of McGinn and Villa and ahead of Man Utd and Mctoninay.

Just noticed Sheffield Utd have the second best defensive record in the EPL can I give him credit for being part of that?

Always said that missing good chances meant you are tactically aware enough to get into those positions 

Good to see Fraser having a good game though, would be great to have him back in the sort of form he was last year. Been very stop/start this season.

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Guess I'm as guilty of doing what I accuse others of doing and just seeing what I want to see. One thing that cant be denied is that he can contribute a lot more in defence  than any of our other striking options and he has played a part in Sheffield Utd being were they are. A mile ahead of McGinn and Villa and ahead of Man Utd and Mctoninay.

Just noticed Sheffield Utd have the second best defensive record in the EPL can I give him credit for being part of that?

Always said that missing good chances meant you are tactically aware enough to get into those positions 

Good to see Fraser having a good game though, would be great to have him back in the sort of form he was last year. Been very stop/start this season.

You’re not alone in thinking he played very well. One match review I read gave McBurnie 9/10 which I thought was a bit generous but he obviously had a good game. 

I guess my issue with him is I would like to see him scoring more goals. He’s scored a couple of important ones for Sheffield Utd but he doesn’t seem to be a 20 goal a year striker the way he was a few years ago in the championship (obviously he’s in a much tougher league now with far better defenders). He’s never really looked like scoring for Scotland when he’s had his limited chances. 

For all we know he could score a few in our next 2 games and fire us to the finals but I just can’t get excited about him. Mind you most people were talking this way about Griffiths until his free kicks against England. A good performance and a couple of goals can change everything. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I guess my issue with him is I would like to see him scoring more goals. He’s scored a couple of important ones for Sheffield Utd but he doesn’t seem to be a 20 goal a year striker the way he was a few years ago in the championship (obviously he’s in a much tougher league now with far better defenders). He’s never really looked like scoring for Scotland when he’s had his limited chances. 

With out wishing to be pedantic it was last year not a couple of years ago. Like most new signings he has been eased into the team and the higher standard of game slowly but I think he is starting to show that he is a valuable part of the team.

£20 million was pushing it but I bet Southampton are regretting spending £20 million on Che Adams a lot more.

Plenty on here wanting Steven Fletcher back after his performances against Albania and Israel and his goal scoring rate this season, but in the two internationals against pretty week opposition he only scored one goal which was a penalty. McBurnie might not be a goal machine but we don't have one any way.

If he shows the same sort of attitude as Matt Ritchie in his next couple of caps then he can gtf, but if he puts in a shift like he did today we would be a a better team than one with Naismith or Griffiths up front.

We could of course try two up front like Sheffield UTD which would free up a lot of space for Griffiths or Naismith.

3-5-2 could be the way ahead as one of my previous reincarnations once said. ( funny if TDK was hacking into every ones accounts)

Edited by ceudmilefailte

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

With out wishing to be pedantic it was last year not a couple of years ago. Like most new signings he has been eased into the team and the higher standard of game slowly but I think he is starting to show that he is a valuable part of the team.

£20 million was pushing it but I bet Southampton are regretting spending £20 million on Che Adams a lot more.

Plenty on here wanting Steven Fletcher back after his performances against Albania and Israel and his goal scoring rate this season, but in the two internationals against pretty week opposition he only scored one goal which was a penalty. McBurnie might not be a goal machine but we don't have one any way.

If he shows the same sort of attitude as Matt Ritchie in his next couple of caps then he can gtf, but if he puts in a shift like he did today we would be a a better team than one with Naismith or Griffiths up front.

We could of course try two up front like Sheffield UTD which would free up a lot of space for Griffiths or Naismith.

3-5-2 could be the way ahead as one of my previous reincarnations once said. ( funny if TDK was hacking into every ones accounts)

Yeah it was a poor choice of words. I meant over the last couple of years, including last season. I find it a wee bit strange that he hasn’t scored more goals this season given how well his club are doing. He hasn’t started that many matches though I suppose.

I have a funny feeling Fletcher will make himself available for the playoffs. He hasn’t officially retired from international football so I wouldn’t be surprised if he all of a sudden wants to play when we have half a chance of qualifying. If I was Clarke I’d tell him to piss off but I doubt he would.

I highly doubt Clarke will change his formation to suit McBurnie. I will actually be surprised if McBurnie starts against Israel. We’ll see what happens in a few weeks I suppose.

At one point I did suspect that everyone except me was TDK on here and I was having about 18 different conversations with the same person. 😂

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I highly doubt Clarke will change his formation to suit McBurnie. I will actually be surprised if McBurnie starts against Israel. We’ll see what happens in a few weeks I suppose.

I think he might start McBurnie, he plays better as 1 of 2 forwards but it won’t be too much of an issue if McGinn supports him. If McGinn isn’t fit or isn’t ready for 2 games in quick succession Christie can play this role. 

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I think he might start McBurnie, he plays better as 1 of 2 forwards but it won’t be too much of an issue if McGinn supports him. If McGinn isn’t fit or isn’t ready for 2 games in quick succession Christie can play this role. 

He might but I think he’s more likely to start Naismith, Griffiths or Fletcher (if he’s in the squad). Griffiths especially if he’s fit and still playing regularly for Celtic. 

It’s a big call for Clarke though and it could make all the difference against Israel.