Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 109 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Hearts defence last night was pretty poor, both Souter and Halkett posted missing for Killie goals ( and other chances ). The goalie didn't really help.  Halkett sort of redeemed himself with great technique for his consolation goal.

IMO Findley was by far the best Scottish defender on display at Tynie last night.

Findlay is the best Scottish centre back about at the moment. 

10 hours ago, WCTA said:

Grant Hanley, whilst he has had his scares before in a Scotland jersey(but who hasn’t?) could argue about that. 

When you’ve seen both him and Mulgrew responsible for as many goals as we have, it’s pretty much impossible to want them to play ever again. 

13 hours ago, WCTA said:

Grant Hanley, whilst he has had his scares before in a Scotland jersey(but who hasn’t?) could argue about that. 

Are you at it, have you completely lost it?

Hanley isn't even in top ten for us, he is absolutely shocking.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Do we have ten centre backs better than grant Hanley, imo we don't. Hanley's pretty poor but sadly we have very little talent in that position. Please don't start naming the likes of McKenna or souttar as better than Hanley as they clearly are not.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

When you’ve seen both him and Mulgrew responsible for as many goals as we have, it’s pretty much impossible to want them to play ever again. 

Problem is we don't have any decent centre backs. Guys like McKenna and Findlay would be playing at a higher level by now if they were any good. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

That Coronavirus has obviously got to you on your Oriental travels ya pie. 😂

Edited by WCTA

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Problem is we don't have any decent centre backs. Guys like McKenna and Findlay would be playing at a higher level by now if they were any good. 

The problem is, is that people still think we have Miller and McLeish playing for us. We have what we have. Hanley has had his problems in a Scotland jersey but so has everyone we have. To suggest someone is a far better stand out than him because he played well against a woeful Hearts team the other night is just daft. I say that as someone who always tries to play our league up over some of the very ordinary pish in England too.

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

There is very little between Hanley, McKenna, Porteous, Findlay and a few others.

My argument would be that Hanley got most of his caps when he was much younger and he has played at a higher level than all the other options. 

I agree. We do have quite a few options now. The problem is that they are all of similar ilk. So we need to think about other factors. Experience and dynamics between each other.

So, if everyone is playing regularly, we should really be giving it to Hanley and Mulgrew, based on experience. But do they gel as well as some others might? We really don't know who would play best with each other.

No disrespect to Gallacher, Porteous, etc, but they have never played against high quality opposition. I'm not saying they aren't capable, but there will be a significant psychological barrier to overcome. Hanley has been tested many many more times than all of our options, barring Mulgrew.

I'd start Hanley and McKenna.

1 minute ago, Rab The Crab said:

Haha, just noticed that after I posted. Is that his first goal since his winner against Cyprus?

Must be, commentators said it was his first for Alaves. 

Goal was a tap-in after good play from his team mates. Has to be in the right place though. 
On the whole he’s played pretty well, could of good runs. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Must be, commentators said it was his first for Alaves. 

Goal was a tap-in after good play from his team mates. Has to be in the right place though. 
On the whole he’s played pretty well, could of good runs. 

Good news, he's getting games and the goal should help his confidence. He's 22 so can still go onto a decent career and be a international asset to us.

Guest ElChris04

Grant Hanley is a scapegoat.

he isn’t a different class or a quality defender but he’s not bad at the highest level

far better than McKenna for me and the likes of Gallagher,Bates,Devlin Etc.

him and Cooper (both captains of their team) might give our defence a bit more backbone, that’s my 2 CB’s for the playoffs. 

Edited by ElChris04

32 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Grant Hanley is a scapegoat.

he isn’t a different class or a quality defender but he’s not bad at the highest level

far better than McKenna for me and the likes of Gallagher,Bates,Devlin Etc.

him and Cooper (both captains of their team) might give our defence a bit more backbone, that’s my 2 CB’s for the playoffs. 

There are a lot of armchair managers on here that will tell you Hanley and Cooper are terrible players. Neither are Beckenbauer or even Colin Hendry but they are nowhere near as bad as people make out. 

Some people would happily play Souttar ahead of both of these guys. Hearts are bottom of the Scottish Premiership and have lost 6 goals in 2 matches ffs. 

There might be question marks over Cooper’s commitment to Scotland but Hanley always turns up and without being great for us hasn’t been that bad. 

None of our central defenders fill me with a great deal of confidence in all honesty but we could do worse than your choice.   

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

In defence of Hanley, he’s earned all his caps before Colin Hendry made his debut (I think) not that I’m saying Hanley is anywhere near the player Hendry was at his peak 

People use Colin Hendry as some example of a player that developed later in his career, that's not the case, he was easily good enough to play international football three or four years before he broke into the team.  The reason he didn't was that the likes of Richard Gough, Alex McLeish, Dave McPherson, Craig Levein and Alan McLaren were all better than him at that point.

Grant Hanley got a lot of caps at a young age because there was limited competition. 

The comparison lamest no sense.  

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

People use Colin Hendry as some example of a player that developed later in his career, that's not the case, he was easily good enough to play international football three or four years before he broke into the team.  The reason he didn't was that the likes of Richard Gough, Alex McLeish, Dave McPherson, Craig Levein and Alan McLaren were all better than him at that point.

Grant Hanley got a lot of caps at a young age because there was limited competition. 

The comparison lamest no sense.  

I should clarify, I’m not suggesting Hendry was a late developer, more than Hanley has played international football while still learning the game. 

16 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I should clarify, I’m not suggesting Hendry was a late developer, more than Hanley has played international football while still learning the game. 

In which case, that's a fair observation.

Guest ElChris04
9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

There are a lot of armchair managers on here that will tell you Hanley and Cooper are terrible players. Neither are Beckenbauer or even Colin Hendry but they are nowhere near as bad as people make out. 

Some people would happily play Souttar ahead of both of these guys. Hearts are bottom of the Scottish Premiership and have lost 6 goals in 2 matches ffs. 

There might be question marks over Cooper’s commitment to Scotland but Hanley always turns up and without being great for us hasn’t been that bad. 

None of our central defenders fill me with a great deal of confidence in all honesty but we could do worse than your choice.   

Spot on.