Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 94 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

McTominay taken off at half time but the BBC are suggesting it was to prevent him from getting a second yellow card in what has been quite a physical game.

Yeah made sense. He was on a yellow, throwing himself into everything and getting clattered in the process. 

8 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Mctominay cruciate ligament damage.    Looks like we'll be without mctominay and mcginn for the play offs. 

We must be the unluckiest football nation ever. Nevermind we do have alot of good options in the centre midfield. Armstrong has played well recently so I guess he might be an option.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

We must be the unluckiest football nation ever. Nevermind we do have alot of good options in the centre midfield. Armstrong has played well recently so I guess he might be an option.

Probably have to be jack/mcgregor/christie with fraser and forrest on the wings. 

46 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Probably have to be jack/mcgregor/christie with fraser and forrest on the wings. 

Fleck ahead of McGregor for me if McTominay and McGinn are out. 

Fleck could get into the EPL team of the season if he keeps up current form, great story how he has built his career up from a slow start. 

39 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Fleck ahead of McGregor for me if McTominay and McGinn are out. 

Fleck could get into the EPL team of the season if he keeps up current form, great story how he has built his career up from a slow start. 

Okay I'll say fleck ahead of Jack. 

Mcgregor will always start. 

Edited by bigfingers

13 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Okay I'll say fleck ahead of Jack. 

Mcgregor will always start. 

Fleck isn’t a holding midfielder, Jack is.

Fleck is a better attacking midfielder than McGregor and is proving himself to be very good at a higher level than McGregor, so for those reasons I would go with him. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Fleck isn’t a holding midfielder, Jack is.

Fleck is a better attacking midfielder than McGregor and is proving himself to be very good at a higher level than McGregor, so for those reasons I would go with him. 

Fleck isn't a better attacking midfielder than calum mcgregor, come on man!

Yes he plays in the Premier league and yes he has done well in a great start to the season for Sheffield United but he is a decent workmanlike midfielder. 

Calum mcgregor is a superb footballer of a far higher technical level who can dictate games and if he played in England I'm sure he'd be doing equally as well if not better than Fleck. 

Fleck and Jack are far more alike. Decent footballers but their game is mainly based around being grafters. 

4 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Liam Cooper back in the Leeds team. 

I watched the whole of the game.

He (along with rest of the Leeds team) really struggled with PNE's tempo in the first half. Him and his CB partner Ben White lost loads of headers to likes of Nugent. His passing isn't too bad though, likes a long diagonal crossfield.

With regards other players Stuart Armstrong played a great part in the 2nd Southampton goal today. Long overdue him getting a run of games and could be important timing with some of the midfield injuries.

31 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Fleck isn't a better attacking midfielder than calum mcgregor, come on man!

Yes he plays in the Premier league and yes he has done well in a great start to the season for Sheffield United but he is a decent workmanlike midfielder. 

Calum mcgregor is a superb footballer of a far higher technical level who can dictate games and if he played in England I'm sure he'd be doing equally as well if not better than Fleck. 

Fleck and Jack are far more alike. Decent footballers but their game is mainly based around being grafters. 

Well goalscoring is only one aspect of an attacking midfielder but for an all conquering Celtic team has just three league goals all season.

John Fleck has four league goals so seems one player is timing his runs a little better and converting chances.

The reality to me is in any case you play those two infront of the back 4 and then put a proper goalscorer in the number 10 role like Ryan Christie.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Well goalscoring is only one aspect of an attacking midfielder but for an all conquering Celtic team has just three league goals all season.

John Fleck has four league goals so seems one player is timing his runs a little better and converting chances.

The reality to me is in any case you play those two infront of the back 4 and then put a proper goalscorer in the number 10 role like Ryan Christie.

Never said anything about mcgregors goalscoring did I? 

Mcgregors function in the celtic team is not to score goals its to build play and dictate the game. He is a central midfielder, I just don't accept Fleck is anywhere near him as a footballer.

As you say though, Christie is the attacking midfielder in the celtic team and hopefully also our team. 

Gutted McGinn and McTominay look likely to miss out in March but the obvious choice is retain Jack, put Christie in at no 10 and bring Fraser in at right wing.

Bigger concern to me is Marshall being dropped, he’s not world class but he’s streets ahead of McGillivray and McLaughlin. 

Guest ElChris04

Just our luck McTominay is injured, 

now that’s 

Tierney

McGinn

McTominay 

injuried 

Add to that Souttar is still out, and Leigh Griffiths is still an uncertainty 

Only thing we are good at these days is being the best in the world for being unlucky. 

3 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

Bigger concern to me is Marshall being dropped, he’s not world class but he’s streets ahead of McGillivray and McLaughlin. 

Several years ago people said the same thing when Gordon and McGregor suffered injuries and Marshall started to get regular international games. 

Thankfully McLaughlin is back playing for Sunderland again after a spell on the bench.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

9 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

Never said anything about mcgregors goalscoring did I? 

Mcgregors function in the celtic team is not to score goals its to build play and dictate the game. He is a central midfielder, I just don't accept Fleck is anywhere near him as a footballer.

As you say though, Christie is the attacking midfielder in the celtic team and hopefully also our team. 

Until McGregor plays at a higher level we can’t really judge his capabilities by the same benchmark we use for McGinn, McTominay & Fleck - who have all been good this season. 

Fleck for me is a better option than McGregor who I don’t think is even close to replicating form of the last couple of years in the SPL. 

20 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Until McGregor plays at a higher level we can’t really judge his capabilities by the same benchmark we use for McGinn, McTominay & Fleck - who have all been good this season. 

Fleck for me is a better option than McGregor who I don’t think is even close to replicating form of the last couple of years in the SPL. 

So Fleck plays half a season in the Premier and that is enough to say he has proved himself at a higher level than McGregor? Mcgregor the player who has scored goals against Zenit, Bayern Munich and ajax and was excellent away to lazio recently in the Europa league? There will be more examples than that in sure. 

You just need to use your eyes sometimes to see what a player offers, it's not necessarily the case that the better the league the better the player. 

I'm not even the biggest mcgregor fan in the world, sometimes feel he flatters to deceive but Fleck will never have the same level of footballing ability and so isn't a better "attacking" midfielder. 

Fleck versus Jack is more of a fair comparison. 

4 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

So Fleck plays half a season in the Premier and that is enough to say he has proved himself at a higher level than McGregor? Mcgregor the player who has scored goals against Zenit, Bayern Munich and ajax and was excellent away to lazio recently in the Europa league? There will be more examples than that in sure. 

You just need to use your eyes sometimes to see what a player offers, it's not necessarily the case that the better the league the better the player. 

I'm not even the biggest mcgregor fan in the world, sometimes feel he flatters to deceive but Fleck will never have the same level of footballing ability and so isn't a better "attacking" midfielder. 

Fleck versus Jack is more of a fair comparison. 

Jack is a holding midfielder, Fleck is an attacking midfielder. That’s no comparison.

You’re allowed your opinion which is that you think McGregor is better than Fleck, fair enough.