Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 84 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Guest ElChris04
3 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

That Griffiths is still a fair bit off the pace?

Think majority everyone thought he’d play. But for whatever reason he hasn’t either due to fitness or another issue Lennon has.

there was talk of him going on loan to hibs recently, but if he isn’t going to get the game time at Celtic it would definitely make sense to move on loan where he can in January,  just hopefully come march he’ll be in good form and have game time come the playoffs.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Matt Philips shouldn't start but he's defo a squad option. Hopefully with Johnston coming through and burke getting some gametime we won't have to rely on him in the future but he's done well in the epl and championship so he should always be in our squads.

As an option, fine. I struggle with his lack of technical ability but appreciate he is an athlete and has his uses. No way should he be starting though.

Johnston as you say looks like a great prospect and we have Forrest, Fraser and Christie for wide position. I’d also look at Armstrong as a sort of wide left midfielder as an option.

Solskjaer said this about McTominay after the win against Spurs -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50666950

"You can almost say he is undroppable," Solskjaer said. "There was no way I wasn't going to push him through for tonight, with the physical presence and leadership he gives us in midfield.

"Scott [McTominay] had a light session with the reserves yesterday. It was his first session. He is a tough boy. There was no chance he wouldn't play if he was OK. It was the first time I really pushed a player who has not had a foundation [to play].

"You see a boy doing everything right every single day in training. He prepares properly. They are the boys you want in the team. He is so professional.

"He is not tainted by any superstardom of fame. He wants to be the best player he can be. That is the kind of player I want at this club. He would have suited my squad when I played. He would have fitted right in."

1 minute ago, csinclair said:

Watched most of the Man Utd game and McTominay was great; they've definitely missed him in recent weeks. Very mature and assured performance from the young lad. 

Yup, and the commentary team on 5 Live was talking about how important he was and how he broke up play so well. He isn't just a box to box midfielder. 

34 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Yup, and the commentary team on 5 Live was talking about how important he was and how he broke up play so well. He isn't just a box to box midfielder. 

At last. (not you, just thought I'd highlight it.) 

We need him in front of the defenders to take pressure of them,or at least give them less to flap at.

Allows or other attacking midfielders to get  forward knowing they have cover.

I don't really think it matters what else he can do, this is what we need him to do for Scotland.

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

At last. (not you, just thought I'd highlight it.) 

We need him in front of the defenders to take pressure of them,or at least give them less to flap at.

Allows or other attacking midfielders to get  forward knowing they have cover.

I don't really think it matters what else he can do, this is what we need him to do for Scotland.

I always remember Hartley was very good at covering our full-backs (usually Hutton) when they went forward.  I think it is very important we have someone doing the same sort of thing for Robertson so we can get the best out of him.

9 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I always remember Hartley was very good at covering our full-backs (usually Hutton) when they went forward.  I think it is very important we have someone doing the same sort of thing for Robertson so we can get the best out of him.

Beardie was a decent player at international level. In 2006 and 2007 particularly. 

More on McTominay

Btw, there is chance McTominay reads the TAMB :lol:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-scott-mctominay-news-17367113

The Manchester United dressing room could have guessed who Jose Mourinho would namecheck in the newly refurbished Old Trafford press room.

"You see for example McTominay's performance, the globality of his performance, he was dominant," Mourinho said, unprompted. Nemanja Matic was dubbed Mourinho's filho at Chelsea and McTominay is the surrogate son-in-waiting.

At full-time, McTominay sought out Mourinho on the pitch and they embraced. Every United player made a point of shaking Mourinho's hand (with one exception), though the warmest exchange was between former manager and the inaugural manager's player of the year.

That dubious award Mourinho bestowed upon McTominay in 2018 was mentioned at Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's post-match debrief. "He's so professional, he's not tainted by any superstar or fame." Solskjaer has seldom echoed Mourinho though he evoked memories of Huddersfield away in the FA Cup fifth round.

"Honestly, I think Scott deserves more than what he is getting. I think maybe it’s because he [McTominay] is this kind of kid profile: a normal haircut, no tattoos, no big cars, no big watches, humble kid, arrive in the club when he was nine or 10."

Paul Pogba was absent through illness that rainy February day, his squad exclusion peculiarly announced by United on the morning of the tie. Mourinho would prefer McTominay over Pogba in Seville four days later, a decision he was so derided for he hugged BT Sport's Des Kelly for asking about McTominay's performance, for yours truly had asked about substitute Pogba in the press conference.

Pogba's two-month absence through a hamstring injury effectively cost United the league that season; the draw with Liverpool and defeats at Huddersfield and Chelsea within a three-week period allowed Manchester City to soar eight points clear. Pogba was also suspended for the decisive December derby United lost.

Now the loss of Pogba is not as keenly felt. Supporters do not pour out of Old Trafford ruing Pogba's prolonged lay-off for they have become apathetic to his variable form that ranges from feckless to phenomenal. United undeniably missed McTominay against Sheffield United and Aston Villa.

"You can almost say he is undroppable at the moment," Solskjaer accepted. "I wasn't gonna try to push him through for this game. The physical presence he gives us, the leadership he gives us in midfield also releases Fred." McTominay improved teammates and the team against Spurs.

"He just wants to become the best footballer he can be and that's the people I want in this club," Solskjaer enthused. McTominay's drive is more determined than his managers have let on. Chances are, if you are a United supporter and have posted a negative comment about McTominay on social media, you are blocked.

McTominay is brave enough to search his name on the internet for feedback, positive and negative. He has not tweeted since the 2018 World Cup but his Twitter 'likes' suggest he still logs in and McTominay is active on the more intimate Instagram, where comments can be turned off.

On both his Twitter and Instagram accounts, he has blocked followers who have voiced criticism. He has deserved it in the past; he was too cautious a passer, failed to track runners and, a little like Marouane Fellaini with David Moyes, stigmatised by association with the manager. Had McTominay not benefited from a late growth spurt, he may never have got a look-in under Mourinho, a stickler for physical figureheads.

Celtic and West Brom enquired about loaning him in January and it was suddenly announced United had rewarded McTominay with a new contract. McTominay might have skipped the replies. Marouane Fellaini's sale ensured he stayed.

Solskjaer did not start McTominay in the Premier League for over two months and then it was out of necessity. Matic succumbed to injury on the eve of Liverpool's visit and Ander Herrera pulled up after 22 minutes. McTominay has not looked back.

"The first big game he played for me was Liverpool last year," Solskjaer recalled. "And he was absolutely top class, you didn't expect anything else, because see a boy doing everything right every single day in training."

McTominay looked ripped during his own personal pre-season on holiday and must have been relieved Solskjaer relaxed the club suit dress code against Inter Milan in Singapore in July. Damp from a post-match shower, he said he 'never had a week like that' for the first week of training back at Carrington.

His dedication and career path are comparable with compatriot Darren Fletcher, who also overcame perceived nepotism. Sir Alex Ferguson had a Freudian slip when he once referred to Fletcher as 'Darren Ferguson' and the midfielder was teased about the surrogate relationship by teammates.

Fletcher became one of United's most important players following the 2008 Champions League final and his harsh red card in the 2009 semi-final at Arsenal is a sliding doors moment United supporters still curse. Woe betide United if McTominay spends over two months sidelined.

McTominay's streetwise gamesmanship vexed Mourinho in the dying embers last night while the Stretford End rocked to his name. Harry Kane and Dele Alli both tried to unsettle him and both failed.

"One injury here, one injury there, they did well, the ref allowed them to do it," Mourinho remarked. The United dressing room could guess who Mourinho was referring to.