Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 72 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

See that McTominay was ruled out today due to his injury. I feel he would  have played the final two games, he turned down a chance to play for England (which he would have had every chance of being in their squad) for us. I can't then see him picking and choosing games only a few months down the line

He was injured at the end of the Brighton game, was carried off the pitch so his injury was far more visible than the ones Fraser and Robbo apparently had so wrong to me if anyone is lumping him in with them and Tierney.

He probably won't play for Man. United next weekend either.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

See that McTominay was ruled out today due to his injury. I feel he would  have played the final two games, he turned down a chance to play for England (which he would have had every chance of being in their squad) for us. I can't then see him picking and choosing games only a few months down the line

He was stretchered off in his last game for  Man U so I don’t think there was ever any doubt about his injury.

If you believed half the folk on here our players would never be genuinely injured. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He was injured at the end of the Brighton game, was carried off the pitch so his injury was far more visible than the ones Fraser and Robbo apparently had so wrong to me if anyone is lumping him in with them and Tierney.

He probably won't play for Man. United next weekend either.

Fraser and Robertson both had genuine injuries. Minor injuries but still genuine.

Pulling out of an international squad with a minor injury isn’t ideal but it’s better than pulling out when you’re fully fit. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Fraser and Robertson both had genuine injuries. Minor injuries but still genuine.

Pulling out of an international squad with a minor injury isn’t ideal but it’s better than pulling out when you’re fully fit. 

It seems to a regular occurrence with alot of players tbf. They always end up playing for their clubs after pulling out of the Scotland squad.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

It seems to a regular occurrence with alot of players tbf. They always end up playing for their clubs after pulling out of the Scotland squad.

Wales had this problem a decade ago. Many didn't want to play for John Toshack with the percieved negativity around the camp so retired or either picked up little niggles around time of international breaks.

It all changed with Gary Speed producing a more positive environment and Wales gradually built their way up and to a major final.

That's what Clarke has to do, make it a far more welcoming camp which isn't easy considering many players are having great times with their club sides.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Was it only Robertson and Fraser.

Cooper didn't start yesterday but came on after an hour which suggests he wasn't 100% fit.

Still not sure were Kenny Mclean was over the last fortnight 

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Very true but I’m not sure Robertson can be accused of that. 

It’s something that has went on for years even as far back as Souness. 

Sadly many players don’t see playing for their country as a priority. 

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Was it only Robertson and Fraser.

Cooper didn't start yesterday but came on after an hour which suggests he wasn't 100% fit.

Still not sure were Kenny Mclean was over the last fortnight 

Cooper came off injured against Blackburn before the international break with a groin strain so he withdrew from the squad. Cooper seems to pull out a lot but I think he was genuinely injured this time.

McLean also had a slight knock but I think he stayed with the squad. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Cooper came off injured against Blackburn before the international break with a groin strain so he withdrew from the squad. Cooper seems to pull out a lot but I think he was genuinely injured this time.

McLean also had a slight knock but I think he stayed with the squad. 

That was all I could find out about McLean too, no word that he had actually pulled out.

So we have only Robertson ( who did drop in on training?) and Fraser with any question marks against them. 

Forgot Tierney for a minute.

54 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I just think he's a better player that's all, player who has final pass in him as he usually shows for Fulham. Frustrating the few caps he has for various reasons.

McTominay often plays deep for Man. United in the two so don't see the big issue there.

Got to be honest as much as McGregor seems o.k for Celtic in the european games I've never seen the same standard for Scotland so don't see him as this undroppable player which he seems to be.

Not convinced in anything I've seen from Cairney that he's better than our other midfielders. I'd have him behind mcgregor, McGinn, mctominay, Christie, Armstrong, McLean and Fleck. Think Clarke would too.

I'd drop mcgregor or mctominay. 

McTominay for me is the box to box midfielder. Don't think he's switched on enough defensively but more importantly we're losing his forward running and shooting playing him as a sitting midfielder. 

10 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Not convinced in anything I've seen from Cairney that he's better than our other midfielders. I'd have him behind mcgregor, McGinn, mctominay, Christie, Armstrong, McLean and Fleck. Think Clarke would too.

McTominay for me is the box to box midfielder. Don't think he's switched on enough defensively but more importantly we're losing his forward running and shooting playing him as a sitting midfielder. 

If we are going to compete against better teams than us we need our two central midfielders to be able to defend. 

I cant see any better than Mctominay and if it curtails his ability to get forward so be it.

McTominay and McLean did that for 44 minutes in Belgium.

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If we are going to compete against better teams than us we need our two central midfielders to be able to defend. 

I cant see any better than Mctominay and if it curtails his ability to get forward so be it.

McTominay and McLean did that for 44 minutes in Belgium.

Well I'd argue to compete with better teams we might need to alter shape completely but I'm not talking about competing with better teams at the minute.

Im talking with a poster who wants to play a midfield 3 of Cairney, mctominay and mcginn which is unbalanced whether against Israel or Belgium. 

16 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Well I'd argue to compete with better teams we might need to alter shape completely but I'm not talking about competing with better teams at the minute.

Im talking with a poster who wants to play a midfield 3 of Cairney, mctominay and mcginn which is unbalanced whether against Israel or Belgium. 

It certainly does appear unbalanced! Cairney a decent player but well down the list at the minute. Our Midfield generally goes like this.. Attacking Number 10 position McGinn or Armstrong, Holding position McTominay or Jack, Deep Lying creative position McGregor, Fleck, McLean suppose Cairney could be added to the list of number 10s we already have but don't see him getting in ahead of the two in front of him although he is a slightly more creative type

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Players play through minor injury routinely when they wish to

1 hour ago, gonzohiggy said:

He can still get forward though, when he was playing with Pogba in the two Pogba was obviously the one popping up on edge of the box more regularly yet McTom still scored v Wolves, Arsenal and Norwich this season.

With Sheffield United they all take it in terms to get forward. Fleck, Lundstrem and Norwood all scored this season.

15 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Players play through minor injury routinely when they wish to

True but it depends on the injury I suppose. Some injuries you can play through with an injection or whatever but some you shouldn’t risk. 

No idea what the situation is with Fraser or Robertson and the rest but I’m always willing to give the benefit of the doubt until people start ripping the arse out of it. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

True but it depends on the injury I suppose. Some injuries you can play through with an injection or whatever but some you shouldn’t risk. 

No idea what the situation is with Fraser or Robertson and the rest but I’m always willing to give the benefit of the doubt until people start ripping the arse out of it. 

Lets be completely honest

Fraser is eyeing his £25m Liverpool move

He ain't taking no unesserary risks by playing pointless Scotland games

10 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He can still get forward though, when he was playing with Pogba in the two Pogba was obviously the one popping up on edge of the box more regularly yet McTom still scored v Wolves, Arsenal and Norwich this season.

With Sheffield United they all take it in terms to get forward. Fleck, Lundstrem and Norwood all scored this season.

He certainly can't get forward if he's got Cairney and mcginn beside him and McKenna at the back. 😉

I know what you are saying but if we play 4 at the back we need Ryan Jack / Fleck being the defensive midfielder and then it's mctominay / mcgregor next to him going box to box / doing what mcgregor does. 

The Sheffield United comparison is interesting and many "inferior" teams could learn a lot from them. 

Edited by gonzohiggy

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

It certainly does appear unbalanced! Cairney a decent player but well down the list at the minute. Our Midfield generally goes like this.. Attacking Number 10 position McGinn or Armstrong, Holding position McTominay or Jack, Deep Lying creative position McGregor, Fleck, McLean suppose Cairney could be added to the list of number 10s we already have but don't see him getting in ahead of the two in front of him although he is a slightly more creative type

I think I'd go for McTominay alongside Jack. Forrest and Christie wide (with Fraser competing with Forrest for a place) and McGinn supporting the striker. To think, we can have McGregor, Arstrong, Fleck and McLean on the bench is extremely positive.

22 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Anyone watch burke?

6 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Tried to half watch his game during the Aberdeen match. Played left wing and thought he looked dangerous running at defenders. Made a really good run at 0-0 to be put through on goal but fluffed it wide. His finishing seems really weak and worryingly still needs to work on his touch . Think he's a good option if we're chasing the game though.