Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 71 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

No problem with any player past or present wanting to play.

If KennyDal and Joe Jordan indicated their availability then Steve Clarke would be right to take them into consideration.

The same Steve Clarke will decide who plays for us, and I'm quite happy to trust his judgement.

46 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Fleck has been excellent. If it was a Spanish player with this performance they’d be waxing lyrical at half time. Very impressive. They might yet praise him but Neville is only interested in slagging Man Utd.

Flecks excellent, it's a shame it's taken to the age of 28 for him to be playing at this level. Bit of a wasted career playing lower league football and essentially missing out on playing for Scotland. We have an abundance of good central midfielders which can only be a positive.

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

A big scottish influence in this game!

Mcburnie might not be pleasing on the eye but he knows where the net is. 

I don't think we play a style that can ever bring him into the game

He's an old fashioned big man centre forward

Only comes alive in the box and needs someone playing alongside him

8 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

McBurnie scores, am I reading that right?!?

He';s scored 22 league and cup goals in last 12 months.

Up to Steve Clarke to get his mind right otherwise guess he'll just become another Stephen Fletcher. Good striker at club level but seemingly can't be bothered at international level.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And neither of them are good enough to play for Scotland!

Fleck is I reckon. If you are going to play McGinn as number 10 (still not convinced) then midfield trio of McTom-Fleck-McGinn looks good to me.

McGregor is nowhere near good enough to be automatic starter imo.

6 minutes ago, Bino's said:

I don't think we play a style that can ever bring him into the game

He's an old fashioned big man centre forward

Only comes alive in the box and needs someone playing alongside him

I'd be interested if him , Tierney and Fraser have ever started a Scotland game or at least been on the pitch at same time for decent portion.

He needs crosses and well those two are the best bets with what's available.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Fleck is I reckon. If you are going to play McGinn as number 10 (still not convinced) then midfield trio of McTom-Fleck-McGinn looks good to me.

I wasn't until recently. Can underestimate the importance of a goalscoring midfielder at international level 

Guest ElChris04

Watched the full game. 

Fleck - absolutely outstanding, passing was neat and perfect and for me the MOTM. 

McBurnie - Dreadful bar the goal.He’s not a gifted striker nor skilful one, he’s a target man who’s positioning cost Utd. Not the best finish either. But he scores and found the space. Definition of a super sub. 

3 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Based on this season’s form Fleck is definitely good enough. Why has it taken him 12 years to ‘make it’?

If you look at international football many nations have players in their mid to late 20s who only started getting called up. Wales campaign turned on them calling up and starting Keifer Moore upfront, he is 27 (and not really Welsh but that's another debate!)

Fleck has been a key man for ages for them. I can certainly understand a lack of clamour when he was in league 1 but really he should've been called up last season when they were near top of the championship.

He's in good form playing for team challenging for europa league spot, same as likes of Stevens, Egan and McGoldrick who ROI have no issue calling up and starting.

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Fleck and McBurnie are both capable of playing for Scotland, the "neither of them are good enough" comment was a reference that neither played much last weekend.

I am convinced McBurnie will come good, but that won't be for a few years yet as we will do what we always do and keep playing players with no thought for the future.

2 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

I wasn't until recently. Can underestimate the importance of a goalscoring midfielder at international level 

For us he generally plays as the box to box eight player and is still a great scoring threat in most games when he dominate.

Ideally my middle trio would be McTom-McGinn-Cairney but Cairney seems on the naughty step so yes I would probably start Fleck.

15 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

For us he generally plays as the box to box eight player and is still a great scoring threat in most games when he dominate.

Ideally my middle trio would be McTom-McGinn-Cairney but Cairney seems on the naughty step so yes I would probably start Fleck.

He has played 10 in all recent games unless he was sub. 

Cairney? Why him over mcgregor or Jack. 

Your three is completely unbalanced

4 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

He has played 10 in all recent games unless he was sub. 

Cairney? Why him over mcgregor or Jack. 

Your three is completely unbalanced

I just think he's a better player that's all, player who has final pass in him as he usually shows for Fulham. Frustrating the few caps he has for various reasons.

McTominay often plays deep for Man. United in the two so don't see the big issue there.

Got to be honest as much as McGregor seems o.k for Celtic in the european games I've never seen the same standard for Scotland so don't see him as this undroppable player which he seems to be.