Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 60 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

48 minutes ago, WCTA said:

You talked about a dressing room influence. Aye, it’s been working right enough the last few years. Scoring against the likes of bloody Malta hardly makes him some sort of legend. He’s not scored since 2017. He won’t be missed.

I'll miss him. I think a lot of Scotland fans feel the same. Some have shorter memories though. 

Just back from Villa Park. Thought McGinn was excellent although the whole Villla team were good. He was very 'John McGinn'.  Robertson didn't have much influence as much of the attacks (for both sides) were coming down the other flank and Mane didn't use him as much as he should. Still he never gave up and it was fantastic to see him score.

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

We could say that about literally every Scotland player ATM. In fairness to Snodgrass he had 2 very bad injuries and didn't get his first cap until his mid 20s, which sadly seems the norm for most Scotland players. Cant wait for Gilmour and Johnston to get their first caps in 5/6 years time😅😅

Yeah he was a key player for Leeds from about 2008 yet only got called up for first cap in I think 2011. Of course Leeds were lower than they are now but still should've been called up earlier.

Then in fairness he was regular but got bad injury on first day of 2014-15 season and missed pretty much all of the euro qualifying.

16 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Just back from Villa Park. Thought McGinn was excellent although the whole Villla team were good. He was very 'John McGinn'.  Robertson didn't have much influence as much of the attacks (for both sides) were coming down the other flank and Mane didn't use him as much as he should. Still he never gave up and it was fantastic to see him score.

McGinn hit perfect cross for the goal. If Mulgrew isn't around I'd put him on the free kicks around the box.

29 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Fleck was excellent today too and Sheffield United are 6th just now. 

We have a lot of players in form just now and guys like Fleck, Jack etc must be knocking on the door to be regular starters and worth a chance. 

Jack a regular starter because he scored against Ross County? 

22 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Jack a regular starter because he’s consistently excellent.

Excellent against shite like St. Johnstone, St. Mirren, etc? Aye, that makes him a regular starter for our national team right enough. Of course it has hee haw tae dae wae the fact he plays for one of the Glasgow two now. 🙄

11 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Excellent against shite like St. Johnstone, St. Mirren, etc? Aye, that makes him a regular starter for our national team right enough. Of course it has hee haw tae dae wae the fact he plays for one of the Glasgow two now. 🙄

Going by that thinking then Shankland shouldn't get called up either.  He scores against lesser teams than you have mentioned 

51 minutes ago, WCTA said:

It’s not rocket science that players generally improve if they move to a better club, at a higher level and play regularly. 

He’s been excellent in Europe and fully deserves to be in the mix in the next squad. 

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Interesting about Robbo. I thought I heard his name a lot on the radio commentary, and just watched MOTD and he was in loads of the highlights. Maybe he just found his way into a few of the bigger moments? Nothing compares to being at the game and seeing the full story. 

We’ve recently had Michael Devlin & Stephen O’Donnell as regular starters yet people scoff at calling up and starting players who have been on form for over 12 months & in some cases are playing and playing well in Europe.

Lets also not call up Billy Gilmour for another few years as we know much better than the other nations who may qualify for tournaments but don’t make their players earn the right to wear the jersey like we do....

Only in Scotland.

41 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We’ve recently had Michael Devlin & Stephen O’Donnell as regular starters yet people scoff at calling up and starting players who have been on form for over 12 months & in some cases are playing and playing well in Europe.

Lets also not call up Billy Gilmour for another few years as we know much better than the other nations who may qualify for tournaments but don’t make their players earn the right to wear the jersey like we do....

Only in Scotland.

Michael Devlin and Stephen o'Donnell have been.called up simply because theres no better alternative. Ryan jack may be on form but hes behind what we have including fleck IMO

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Michael Devlin and Stephen o'Donnell have been.called up simply because theres no better alternative. Ryan jack may be on form but hes behind what we have including fleck IMO

I accept all of that. 

Also Fleck is bang on form for what is currently a top 6 EPL side so clearly he should start and starting either McGregor or Jack ahead of him would be foolish.

Jack, however, should be in the mix with guys like McTominay, McGinn & Fleck the probable starting 3 

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Fleck was excellent today too and Sheffield United are 6th just now. 

We have a lot of players in form just now and guys like Fleck, Jack etc must be knocking on the door to be regular starters and worth a chance. 

Two 27/28 year olds who weren't in the picture six months ago( in Flecks case six weeks ago) should now be starting for Scotland. Neither with any international experience.

looks like another 22 years in the wilderness to me.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I accept all of that. 

Also Fleck is bang on form for what is currently a top 6 EPL side so clearly he should start and starting either McGregor or Jack ahead of him would be foolish.

Jack, however, should be in the mix with guys like McTominay, McGinn & Fleck the probable starting 3 

I disagree, jack is behind mctominey and McGinn as is McGregor 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Correct, shankland shouldn't be called up.

Ideally we shouldn't be calling up players from the Championship but which other Scottish strikers scoring regularly at the moment?  I can think of Fraser Hornby scoring a few on loan in Belgium but other than that...