Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 57 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

3 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Brilliant.

Starting against teams like Brugges and Antwerp, etc, will be great for his development.

I'd put him ahead of McBurnie.

McBurnie wishes that he won't called up, we should contact "Make a wish foundation" and get Steve Clarke to make his wish a reality.

He’s tucked a few goals since he’s gone there and is pretty much a regular starter now.

It’s his first real taste of first team fitba so it’s excellent progress for him.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, WCTA said:

The Scottish cringe is strong here. 

If you are going to make these comments, then I suggest you do your research first instead of behaving like a Conservative Party MP and opening your mouth to expose your ignorance. People used to talk about having "all-tartan" teams in the 1960s and 70s and what they meant were Scotland teams comprised entirely of players who were not only born in Scotland but also playing their football in Scotland. These arguments surface when the national team is unsuccessful. The suspicion is that players from outwith Scotland do not play with their hearts on their sleeves. I think it's unfair and bear in mind that we're talking about Andy Goram, Stuart McCall, Richard Gough and Don Hutchinson, here.

If you're not a cringing Scot, you won't be anywhere near the football on Saturday - you'll be in George Square. See you there.

30 minutes ago, Arbroath1320 said:

If you are going to make these comments, then I suggest you do your research first instead of behaving like a Conservative Party MP and opening your mouth to expose your ignorance. People used to talk about having "all-tartan" teams in the 1960s and 70s and what they meant were Scotland teams comprised entirely of players who were not only born in Scotland but also playing their football in Scotland. These arguments surface when the national team is unsuccessful. The suspicion is that players from outwith Scotland do not play with their hearts on their sleeves. I think it's unfair and bear in mind that we're talking about Andy Goram, Stuart McCall, Richard Gough and Don Hutchinson, here.

If you're not a cringing Scot, you won't be anywhere near the football on Saturday - you'll be in George Square. See you there.

No, people are talking now about a player who never gave a monkey’s fuck about Scotland growing up. A player who has already been capped by our historic rivals. 
That is absolutely nothing to do with the same way that the term All Tartan Team was banded about decades ago. That was for players who played in Scotland. So, before you get your drawers in a twist, maybe best to understand what’s being discussed, eh?

4 minutes ago, WCTA said:

No, people are talking now about a player who never gave a monkey’s fuck about Scotland growing up. A player who has already been capped by our historic rivals. 
That is absolutely nothing to do with the same way that the term All Tartan Team was banded about decades ago. That was for players who played in Scotland. So, before you get your drawers in a twist, maybe best to understand what’s being discussed, eh?

Why's it being discussed here?

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why's it being discussed here?

That’s probably the best question anyone can ask. 👍 An Englishman who has been capped by England really shouldn’t be talked about in a thread with this title. 

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Even if he was Scottish he's played a total of 10 minutes in October which hardly qualifies as "in action"

Yep. A point I also made with regards to his ability. 
But then I also added that I wouldn’t care if he was Franco Baresi. 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

To get back on topic our Serie A and la Liga superstars, Henderson and Burke are both on the bench for their respective teams tonight.

That's not really back on topic though is it?

I get your point, and it's a valid one, but they'll be learning more sitting on the bench in La Liga and the Bundesliga than they would playing a full season in the SPL and the English Championship. They're surrounded with top players, travelling to great stadiums and training with La Liga and Bundesliga players.

I actually don't mind it if those two get a few minutes here and there. Like last night when Burke played 15 minutes against Athletico Madrid.

I wouldn't like it to last more than one season, though.

Oliver burke is a strange one, it's like his main aim in his career is to sit on the bench in every top league in Europe...

15 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I don't think they want to produce their own, same with Rangers. They would rather spend millions on a product of another team's youth academy than spent time and effort and money on their own.

Which is shameful.

Of course they do. 

Every club does. 

However, both Celtic and rangers are also caught in short term cycles to try and make sure they win trophies and compete to some relative degree in early stages of European competition (still being in Europe at Christmas if at all possible). 

Because of these short term demands (fuelled mostly by their short sighted fans,  it should be noted) they also engage in paying for ready made, seasoned pros from other countries and loan players from other, bigger teams, to avoid having to sack a manager if they lose leagues and cups to the other mob. These players then often find themselves blocking the progress of the youth players. 

There's a Jekyll/Hyde thing going on, essentially, where the old firm cubs are trying to manage both to develop their own players to play and sell on for profit AND to beef up their team with experienced players and loan players from other, bigger sides. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Of course they do. 

Every club does. 

However, both Celtic and rangers are also caught in short term cycles to try and make sure they win trophies and compete to some relative degree in early stages of European competition (still being in Europe at Christmas if at all possible). 

Because of these short term demands (fuelled mostly by their short sighted fans,  it should be noted) they also engage in paying for ready made, seasoned pros from other countries and loan players from other, bigger teams, to avoid having to sack a manager if they lose leagues and cups to the other mob. These players then often find themselves blocking the progress of the youth players. 

There's a Jekyll/Hyde thing going on, essentially, where the old firm cubs are trying to manage both to develop their own players to play and sell on for profit AND to beef up their team with experienced players and loan players from other, bigger sides. 

Celtic and especially Rangers are now very serious about youth development. Much like the Performance Schools there will be a slight delay before these bear fruit. Not all of these players will play for these clubs (some definitely will) but other clubs will benefit, bigger and smaller.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Celtic and especially Rangers are now very serious about youth development. Much like the Performance Schools there will be a slight delay before these bear fruit. Not all of these players will play for these clubs (some definitely will) but other clubs will benefit, bigger and smaller.

Aye very much so. Right across the football world, money is going into youth development, in many ways because transfer fees are getting so insane between the big clubs and smaller clubs see the size of the rewards for sell ons. 

However, for the moment and for the foreseeable, the old firm will continue to sign players like Defoe and Elyanoussi (etc etc ad infinitum) and play them ahead of their prospects, due in large part to cut-throat fan expectations. 

I expect you're right and it will continue to grow. Here's hoping. 

23 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

:lol: £25m for McGregor? Maybe if you take out the "M".

Ajax just sold two players for £144m. 

And no, receiving £50m over a period of about ten years (might be longer, when's the last time Celtic sold a player for good money?) Isn't vindication of good coaching, it's vindication that they think they're a buying club, as supposed to what they are.

We'll see in the summer I suppose but Rodgers has a hard on for him and I think he'll go there.

Tierney - £25m

Dembelle - £20m

Wanyama - £12.5m

VVD - £11.5M

Forster £10m

McGeady £9.5m

Armstrong £7m

That's £95.5m for 7 players in fairly recent times (McGeady only incdued as he's in top 7 fees rec'd ahead of Armstrong)

Those players cost £7.85m combined.

I'd say that's evidence of a buying club and one that's fairly good at it.

59 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We'll see in the summer I suppose but Rodgers has a hard on for him and I think he'll go there.

Tierney - £25m

Dembelle - £20m

Wanyama - £12.5m

VVD - £11.5M

Forster £10m

McGeady £9.5m

Armstrong £7m

That's £95.5m for 7 players in fairly recent times (McGeady only incdued as he's in top 7 fees rec'd ahead of Armstrong)

If those players you listed (and the prices) were all Scottish then I would care, but they aren't, so I don't.

That's proof that, instead of producing their own stars, they buy someone elses, and then sell them for a higher fee.

How's this evidence of a buying club? A buying club doesn't end up selling the players they bought. A selling club produces their own, or as you've documented, buys kids for peanuts and sells them for a higher fee.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tierney - £25m

Dembelle - £20m

Wanyama - £12.5m

VVD - £11.5M

Forster £10m

McGeady £9.5m

Armstrong £7m

McGregor could go for a decent fee but I highly doubt it will be over 15 million. If he was 22-24 he'd be probably be over 20 but by the end of the season he will be 27 and not likely to improve, so I'd say 15 million would be a fair price for him.

8 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Aye very much so. Right across the football world, money is going into youth development, in many ways because transfer fees are getting so insane between the big clubs and smaller clubs see the size of the rewards for sell ons. 

However, for the moment and for the foreseeable, the old firm will continue to sign players like Defoe and Elyanoussi (etc etc ad infinitum) and play them ahead of their prospects, due in large part to cut-throat fan expectations. 

I expect you're right and it will continue to grow. Here's hoping. 

It is pretty tough to shove these boys from youth football into cut throat win at all costs games. It is why I think we need colt teams in the lower leagues. Instead of playing u20/u18 games they could be playing competitive football at a decent level, by the time they are 20/21 they could have 50-100 professional games under their belt. Surely that is better prep for a route to the first team than youth football and a loan to a part time club.

Murty (shit manager but good youth coach) was saying it himself last night, our centre Half's will have learnt more against souhill (& the other men's teams we beat) than a year or 2 of youth football.

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

£25M for McGregor!?

Cut that in half and it’s still madness. 

As insane as the English market is, no one would spend £25m for him. 

If he was good then an English team would've bought him by now, same for Forrest and it'll be the same for Christie. Those three aren't rated by anyone outside Scotland.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

12 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If he was good then an English team would've bought him by now, same for Forrest and it'll be the same for Christie. Those three aren't rated by anyone outside Scotland.

You never know. There were some on here that said Tierney would never go for £25 million.

42 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I think Forrest could do a job but is overrated.

Christie is good and will play EPL but reminds me of Armstrong and he is struggling to get a sniff.

McGregor is fine vs Hamilton etc & looks good but that’s about it basically. 

36 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You never know. There were some on here that said Tierney would never go for £25 million.

Including me, but that was more to do with countries looking down on the SPL, rather than any reflection on Tierney's ability. Whereas, players like Forrest, Christie and McGregor only look good against free transfers.