Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 50 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

22 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

What exactly does international class mean anyway? Internationalists who play for San Marino are international class aren’t they? 

Over half, in fact I’d say around 3 quarters of all international teams are utter pish so most international players aren’t particularly good.

Robertson is just one of a long list of Scottish players who are very successful at club level and always seem to under perform for Scotland. Hopefully he’ll come good but only time will tell. 

When you find out what international class means let me know, it's used around here to describe loads of players despite what they are capable of at club level.

The likes of Mcallister, McClair and now Robertson would appear to be more capable at club level but were/are unsuited to international football.

By definition they must not be "international class"

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

When you find out what international class means let me know, it's used around here to describe loads of players despite what they are capable of at club level.

The likes of Mcallister, McClair and now Robertson would appear to be more capable at club level but were/are unsuited to international football.

I grew up thinking that about McAllister, but I think if you went back and watched a few matches, especially in Euro 96 (Ignoring the penalty miss), you'll be surprised by his brilliant he was.

Watching players like McGregor and Christie, McLean, Fleck, etc, you appreciate how better player like McClair, McAllister, etc, were.

Sheffield United vs Arsenal:

Tierney and McBurnie are both on the bench. Fleck starts.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

They used to say Kenny Dalglish never replicated his club form at Liverpool when he played for Scotland. In reality, he was too good for the Scottish diddies he had to play alongside who did not have his intelligence and did not know how to play alongside him. McAllister, Collins and Lambert carried eight other ordinary Scots into the 1998 World Cup. Don't  criticise Robertson who's turning up to play with English lower league players when he plays for Scotland. When we have players like Liverpool, he'll reproduce his Liverpool form. 

2 hours ago, Arbroath1320 said:

They used to say Kenny Dalglish never replicated his club form at Liverpool when he played for Scotland. In reality, he was too good for the Scottish diddies he had to play alongside who did not have his intelligence and did not know how to play alongside him. McAllister, Collins and Lambert carried eight other ordinary Scots into the 1998 World Cup. Don't  criticise Robertson who's turning up to play with English lower league players when he plays for Scotland. When we have players like Liverpool, he'll reproduce his Liverpool form. 

Well said 

2 hours ago, Arbroath1320 said:

So who were these diddies that we used to put on the field alongside Dalglish?  Start with the 74 and 78 World Cup squads.

We only started seeing the best of Kenny Dalglish when he was used properly - as the focal point of the attack rather than playing off somebody else.  Dropping him after the 82 World Cup had a lot to do with it as well as it gave him a major rocket up the arse and he was different class from then on.

49 minutes ago, Arbroath1320 said:

McKimmie, Calderwood, Hendry, Boyd, McKinlay - good, hard-working players but I'm not convinced they were "superb"

38 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Correct. Take out Hendry and they could just about make "good", even if you added Weir.

Our defence hasn't been superb since the days of McLeish, Miller, Hansen, etc.

Conceded just 6 goals in 20 qualifiers for Euro 96 and France 98. As a defensive unit we were pretty damn good under Broon.

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Conceded just 6 goals in 20 qualifiers for Euro 96 and France 98. As a defensive unit we were pretty damn good under Broon.

We had two of the best goalies in our history in Goram & Leighton though. 

Such a strong position that Brian Gunn couldn’t get a look in & we didn’t even need to think of bringing in granny rule, English 3rd tier players then. 

Edited by ProudScot

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The whole was greater than the sum of its parts. Hell, at France 98 Boyd was a center back.

Brown moulded then into a three/five defensive man unit.

Hope that isn't lost on anyone.

53 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

we played 4-4-2 against Brazil and Norway. when we changed to 3 at the back against Morocco we got horsed. 

No. I recently watched the entirety of the six matches of Euro 96 and France 98.

At Euro 96 we played with a 4 at the back (against Holland England) and we played with a 3 against the Swiss

At France 98 we played with a 3 for all three group matches.

The first match at France 98 against Brazil

Second match Vs Norway

https://footballia.net/

And while you check on the aforementioned link, watch the Morocco match again. No way was it a 3:0 match.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

9 minutes ago, WCTA said:

I started out a reply then thought nah, it’s you. Not entering into a discussion with you. 

Nice try.

You thought that I was wrong, so you waded into the conversation (in a cowardly fashion), I provided proof (a video link and a link to a site that catalogues factual data from historical football matches) and then you got red-faced and deleted your post.

A little tip in future: if you're going to wade into a debate, that involves me, that tries to prove me wrong, do your research beforehand.

And another tip: I do my research, so wading into a debate, that involves proving me wrong, is usually going to end up with you with egg on your face.

Plus, I WATCHED all of the matches at France 98, so I know what system we played. I'm genuinely starting to wonder how many Scotland fans there are here.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Nice try.

You thought that I was wrong, so you waded into the conversation (in a cowardly fashion), I provided proof (a video link and a link to a site that catalogues factual data from historical football matches) and then you got red-faced and deleted your post.

A little tip in future: if you're going to wade into a debate, that involves me, that tries to prove me wrong, do your research beforehand.

And another tip: I do my research, so wading into a debate, that involves proving me wrong, is usually going to end up with you with egg on your face.

Plus, I WATCHED all of the matches at France 98, so I know what system we played. I'm genuinely starting to wonder how many Scotland fans there are here.

What utter bullshit and is exactly why I decided best not to get into it with you. You fucking adore yourself and batter on with the same egotistical pish you always do.

You’re on an ignore from now on.

Edited by WCTA

I remember reading an interview with Craig Brown about his tactics.  He plumped for 3 at the back as it was used by Germany to great success over the years. Also it assisted with nullifying a strike partnership at a time when most sides went with 2 up front.