Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 45 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

I really think Hornby is more than worthy of a senior call up. I understand the idea of letting the under 21s keep him whilst they are in with a really good shout of qualification, and they play Thursday and then Monday (home to Lithuania and away to the Czechs) but come November if he continues to get game time and goals in Belgium, we surely can't ignore him. 

He's very exciting in prospect and i've been impressed every time i've seen him in the under21s. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

I really think Hornby is more than worthy of a senior call up. I understand the idea of letting the under 21s keep him whilst they are in with a really good shout of qualification, and they play Thursday and then Monday (home to Lithuania and away to the Czechs) but come November if he continues to get game time and goals in Belgium, we surely can't ignore him. 

He's very exciting in prospect and i've been impressed every time i've seen him in the under21s. 

He's only just scored his first senior goals last week. He looks a decent talent but he's never done anything in senior football and good performances for the u21 mean very little when it comes to the senior team. If he scores a fair few in his loan spell then we should consider calling him up but until then he shouldn't be considered.

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's only just scored his first senior goals last week. He looks a decent talent but he's never done anything in senior football and good performances for the u21 mean very little when it comes to the senior team. If he scores a fair few in his loan spell then we should consider calling him up but until then he shouldn't be considered.

Yeah, we essentially agree, as per my second to last sentence- 

'come November if he continues to get game time and goals in Belgium, we surely can't ignore him. '

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

no no no we should wait till he is close to his mid 20s before calling him up......................................

13 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah, we essentially agree, as per my second to last sentence- 

'come November if he continues to get game time and goals in Belgium, we surely can't ignore him. '

Yeh sorry never read it properly, yeh he looks good, Belgian league isn't the highest of standards so I would hope that he does score a few goals there. I am guessing the Belgian league is of similar quality to the spl.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Hahaha he has absolutely thieved his second goal there. 

Took his first really well though. 

Haha nothing wrong with a bit of poaching! All strikers should have that instinct.

Watched the game and even in the lead up to the first goal, before he received the ball back, his link up and hold up play was excellent.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Have you seen it on TV. Carroll clearly elbowed him 

I thought it looked accidental-ish.

Carroll didn’t look round or anything, but definitely caught him, a red card would’ve been harsh i felt.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Have you seen it on TV. Carroll clearly elbowed him 

I was literally 30 yards away. Yeah he caught him but there was no reason to chuck himself onto the deck. You could hear the gears turning in his head after he was caught before  deciding  to go down like a cheap hoor.

Really like the guy to so was surprised and disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

I was literally 30 yards away. Yeah he caught him but there was no reason to chuck himself onto the deck. You could hear the gears turning in his head after he was caught before  deciding  to go down like a cheap hoor.

Really like the guy to so was surprised and disappointed. 

How do you know how sore it was? 

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh sorry never read it properly, yeh he looks good, Belgian league isn't the highest of standards so I would hope that he does score a few goals there. I am guessing the Belgian league is of similar quality to the spl.

The UEFA rankings have the Belgian League way, way above the SPL.  Belgium is 8th in the country coefficient rnakings (just behind Portugal), we're 18th and they still have 4 of their 5 clubs still in European competition whilst we have 2 out of 4.  Plus, they have 2 teams which actually qualified for the Champions League.  No comparison really, it's a far better league so if Hornby us doing well there he should be in our thoughts.

Edited by henry george

5 hours ago, henry george said:

The UEFA rankings have the Belgian League way, way above the SPL.  Belgium is 8th in the country coefficient rnakings (just behind Portugal), we're 18th and they still have 4 of their 5 clubs still in European competition whilst we have 2 out of 4.  Plus, they have 2 teams which actually qualified for the Champions League.  No comparison really, it's a far better league so if Hornby us doing well there he should be in our thoughts.

Sounds like the Belgian league is quite good, a decent spell there scoring goals and he should defo be in our squad. 

True that game time is what youngsters need but......

Talented youngsters may be at clubs where their development is stinted by lack of chances. That being the case surely it is worth giving them that game time for Scotland...bear with me here. Look at Darren Fletcher. As I recall it he was not getting any first team football for United but Vogts threw him in and his career blossomed from there. I am sure that could be the case for several youngsters we have now. After all in many areas we have exhausted a lot of the alternatives out there anyway in various areas of the pitch.