Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 41 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Just now, ProudScot said:

After the disgraceful performances of this campaign I’d happily see the squad shaken up & new faces involved - I think most fans would. 

For example Aaron Hickey in for Stephen O’Donnell. He’s 17 and played very little but is clearly a player and O’Donnell is the worst Scottish player who’s consistently been called up since the days of Kevin Kyle. 

We all said it before the last games then said nothing when Palmer, Armstrong Snodgrass Naismith, and  Russell were called up.

To bring players in you have to leave players out there's five for me I'll even let you bring in Henderson for Armstrong or Snodgrass although Gilmour's in before him.

Would hope that Tierney and Paterson would be available for right back but if not why not bring Hickey along, although I think the under 21's are learning more together just now than they would joining the full squad

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

After the disgraceful performances of this campaign I’d happily see the squad shaken up & new faces involved - I think most fans would. 

For example Aaron Hickey in for Stephen O’Donnell. He’s 17 and played very little but is clearly a player and O’Donnell is the worst Scottish player who’s consistently been called up since the days of Kevin Kyle. 

Dunno about that.

Kris Commons ? 

Apart his first two games (our earth shattering Kirin Cup triumph) in which he played well, Gary Teale was utter pish in his several subsequent caps.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Dunno about that.

Kris Commons ? 

Apart his first two games (our earth shattering Kirin Cup triumph) in which he played well, Gary Teale was utter pish in his several subsequent caps.

Kris Commons was levels above O’Donnell. The team was really negative while he played and that didn’t suit him but scored a couple of decent goals for Scotland and his performances for Celtic in the Champions League would show it’s not ability that held him back.

I genuinely think O’Donnell might be the most limited ever called up regularly although I’d throw Wilkie, Rae and Kevin Kyle into the mix.

16 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Kris Commons was levels above O’Donnell. The team was really negative while he played and that didn’t suit him but scored a couple of decent goals for Scotland and his performances for Celtic in the Champions League would show it’s not ability that held him back.

I genuinely think O’Donnell might be the most limited ever called up regularly although I’d throw Wilkie, Rae and Kevin Kyle into the mix.

Lee Wilkie wasn't that bad. Our wonderful Scottish sports journalists used him as a scapegoat during the Vogts era. They didn't have the balls to go after the under performing Old Firm players.  

In fact prior to his last career ending injury there was speculation that Wilkie would be called up again after playing consistently well for Dundee Utd.

Commons was utter pish for Scotland. Twelve caps, two goals and the "goal" he scored against the Faroes was clearly a Faroes OG. What games did Commons tear up the opposition in ? 

A hugely overrated player who did well at Celtic because he had others doing a lot of the work for him.

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yes because we have a star studded squad full of players who have really excelled in recent international matches 

Well Cairney being in would have been more positive than any one of Ryan Christie, John Fleck ,Ryan Jack, Callum McGregor Kenny McLean  or Robert Snodgrass  

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well Cairney being in would have been more positive than any one of Ryan Christie, John Fleck ,Ryan Jack, Callum McGregor Kenny McLean  or Robert Snodgrass  

Interesting.

Don't Fleck, Mclean and to a lesser extent Snodgrass currently play in a league that Cairney was entirely found out in just last season? And I know the rest of the fulham team was poor bar their striker, but even just himself, his ball retention, his passing, his creativity; he was not up to it all season long.

I was hoping he would look like he belonged at that level regardless of how the rest of his team got on, but he just didn't. At all. Beware the players who look great in the english first division. Barry Bannan and, most recently, Liam Cooper, teaches us this.