Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 39 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

15 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s a fantastic talent. I’m not sure if stats quantify first touch and manoeuvring out of trouble? 

No one bothers counting stats in the SPL never mind the championship.

But statistically it is unlikely that a player who go's on loan from a shite team to an ever shiter team that their next point of call will be the EPL.

Hope your right but so far the route he is taking does not inspire confidence.

7 hours ago, saintydave said:

From watching that video, my only fear is that he ain't gonna have anyone capable of receiving the passes he plays. High intensity into tight spaces. This boy is going to the top, only hope he can drag some along with him 

I think passing/technically-able midfielders aren't our problem. McGregor, Forrest, Christie and Fraser would be able to cope.

48 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Around 3 years from now, the prospect of a midfield of McTominay, Gilmour and Turnbull has tournaments written all over it. 

Yeh we are well stacked in midfield with good young players, but we will not be going to tournaments unless we uncover at least one epl class centre back imo. 

Edited by mccaughey85

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

In Morrison and King i’m hopeful we have two, but early days there. 

Who is King? Morrison has the best possible chance at developing into an international defender. I also think McKenna has all the attributes to step up and be a mainstay in our defence.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Around 3 years from now, the prospect of a midfield of McTominay, Gilmour and Turnbull has tournaments written all over it. 

I've not seen a lot of Turnbull, but everyone seems to be very excited about him. Add in Tierney, Robertson, Fraser, McGinn, Christie and Mikey Johnstone to that list and we are quickly building a great young team. We just have to be patient with them all and not expect them to be dragging us to tournaments just yet

Edited by Tartan blood

16 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Who is King? Morrison has the best possible chance at developing into an international defender. I also think McKenna has all the attributes to step up and be a mainstay in our defence.

I've not seen a lot of Turnbull, but everyone seems to be very excited about him. Add in Tierney, Robertson, Fraser, McGinn, Christie and Mikey Johnstone to that list and we are quickly building a great young team. We just have to be patient with them all and not expect them to be dragging us to tournaments just yet

I won't get too excited until a couple of strikers come through. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Based on what, most ppl never heard of him until he moved to Bayern and rightly so as he is only 16. I don't get ppl on here pinning their hopes on young players just because they are at a big club like Bayern or Chelsea. How many of our first team or even squad have come through at an elite European club in the past 10 years. Very few I would guess, I can only think of mctominay off the top of my head and fletcher but that's going back a bit.

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Based on what, most ppl never heard of him until he moved to Bayern and rightly so as he is only 16. I don't get ppl on here pinning their hopes on young players just because they are at a big club like Bayern or Chelsea. How many of our first team or even squad have come through at an elite European club in the past 10 years. Very few I would guess, I can only think of mctominay off the top of my head and fletcher but that's going back a bit.

You answered your own question. We have had virtually no young players being developed at top level clubs. If we regularly had youngsters in top 6 German and English teams, and they all amounted to nothing, then you'd have a point.

The difference is, we now have senior players being signed for big clubs (and playing) and youngsters being recruited for the future. Barring Darren Fletcher, there has been almost no one in the past 20 years. Now we seem to have a whole group that are involved in Elite clubs. In the past, it was watching players in the SPFL and hoping they'd come good. Now it's Germany, Spain, Italy and England. Very positive signs.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

You answered your own question. We have had virtually no young players being developed at top level clubs. If we regularly had youngsters in top 6 German and English teams, and they all amounted to nothing, then you'd have a point.

The difference is, we now have senior players being signed for big clubs (and playing) and youngsters being recruited for the future. Barring Darren Fletcher, there has been almost no one in the past 20 years. Now we seem to have a whole group that are involved in Elite clubs. In the past, it was watching players in the SPFL and hoping they'd come good. Now it's Germany, Spain, Italy and England. Very positive signs.

There's always been young Scottish players at elite clubs,I can name loads of young Scottish players who didn't make it at top European clubs, for example jack Harper, mackay-steven, Michael Stewart, Robbie foy, Donald love, George Johnston, Steven watt, Charlie gilmour, gauld, rubben sammut. And that's just off the top of my head. Pinning your hopes on a 16 year old who has never played a senior game just because he's moved til Bayern is ridiculous, you would be better pinning your hopes to the young centre backs we have already like McKenna or porteous as they are at least playing senior football at a reasonable level and could potentially step up. Saying that I am not really sure any of our young centre backs like McKenna etc are potentially good enough for international football. Hopefully I get proven wrong though.

49 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There's always been young Scottish players at elite clubs,I can name loads of young Scottish players who didn't make it at top European clubs, for example jack Harper, mackay-steven, Michael Stewart, Robbie foy, Donald love, George Johnston, Steven watt, Charlie gilmour, gauld, rubben sammut. And that's just off the top of my head. Pinning your hopes on a 16 year old who has never played a senior game just because he's moved til Bayern is ridiculous, you would be better pinning your hopes to the young centre backs we have already like McKenna or porteous as they are at least playing senior football at a reasonable level and could potentially step up. Saying that I am not really sure any of our young centre backs like McKenna etc are potentially good enough for international football. Hopefully I get proven wrong though.

I think you’re jumping the gun writing off Charlie Gilmour and even Gauld, who is supposedly playing brilliantly at the moment. If you’re not excited by Billy Gilmour you’re watching the wrong sport and probably need some serotonin uptake inhibitors.

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think you’re jumping the gun writing off Charlie Gilmour and even Gauld, who is supposedly playing brilliantly at the moment. If you’re not excited by Billy Gilmour you’re watching the wrong sport and probably need some serotonin uptake inhibitors.

Gilmour would be nowhere near the chelsea first team if Lampard had been allowed to sign players. In fact I doubt Lampard would be the manager.

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I haven't written them off, my point was not to get our hopes up just because we have a 16 year old in an elite European clubs youth set up like bayerns. We have had loads of young players at top clubs and very few end up making it at the club they were at. I have just named about 10 guys off the top of my head who didn't make the grade at the elite club they were at and I reckon there will be at another 10 or more that I am not thinking of or don't know of that never made it either. There is only one who has made it(mctominay) which means Morrison probably has a 1/20 chance of making it at bayern. Dunno about you but I ain't pinning my hopes on 1/20 chance this lad could be a top defender. Here's hoping though.

For the record  I am excited by gilmour but I just don't think we should get excited until he really starts making an impact at Chelsea. I was mentioning a loan for him earlier in this thread but it seems ppl in here think hes far too good for that which is strange considering he has only played 8mins( I think)for Chelsea in the epl. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I haven't written them off, my point was not to get our hopes up just because we have a 16 year old in an elite European clubs youth set up like bayerns. We have had loads of young players at top clubs and very few end up making it at the club they were at. I have just named about 10 guys off the top of my head who didn't make the grade at the elite club they were at and I reckon there will be at another 10 or more that I am not thinking of or don't know of that never made it either. There is only one who has made it(mctominay) which means Morrison probably has a 1/20 chance of making it at bayern. Dunno about you but I ain't pinning my hopes on 1/20 chance this lad could be a top defender. Here's hoping though.

For the record  I am excited by gilmour but I just don't think we should get excited until he really starts making an impact at Chelsea. I was mentioning a loan for him earlier in this thread but it seems ppl in here think hes far too good for that which is strange considering he has only played 8mins( I think)for Chelsea in the epl. 

I can understand caution but at the same time it’s worth watching a player with an open mind, pretending he’s not Scottish and look at what’s happening on the pitch. It took me about 5 seconds to see Gilmour would make it and that was about 3 years ago. 

Fraser on the bench today again. This time didn't even get brought on. What is going on there?! Can't see any explanation in any news reports online. They've basically just decided to bench their best player without justification. In not normally a conspiracy theorist, but is this because he's not signing a contract? I doubt it, because that would be really dumb. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Iv'e probably not been paying attention but who we have in Spain and Italy and apart from a 16 year old is there any one else in Germany.

There's a couple of players in Belgium playing for week teams and another on a  very large bench at best in Holland.

McGinn was Man of the Match again today for Villa. Considering his form it is surprising how little he played in the last double header.

I think Clarke might look at the whole structure of the team soon. There are players involved that bar one or two games really have shown nothing at international level.

Tom Cairney ran the show for Fulham last night but I think his chance has passed.

11 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Fraser on the bench today again. This time didn't even get brought on. What is going on there?! Can't see any explanation in any news reports online. They've basically just decided to bench their best player without justification. In not normally a conspiracy theorist, but is this because he's not signing a contract? I doubt it, because that would be really dumb. 

Wasn't even on the bench. Ill it appears

Edited by ceudmilefailte

Don't really do or even know what Twitter is but feel a lot of people put a lot faith in it.

Fell onto this today when looking for Fraser's absence 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/28/celtic-fans-react-to-james-forrest-display-in-hibernian-draw/

Basically McGregor was poor and has been for a few games now, Christie had an off day and Forrest was a waste of a shirt and quite often is. Sound familiar?

28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Iv'e probably not been paying attention but who we have in Spain and Italy and apart from a 16 year old is there any one else in Germany.

There's a couple of players in Belgium playing for week teams and another on a  very large bench at best in Holland.

McGinn was Man of the Match again today for Villa. Considering his form it is surprising how little he played in the last double header.

I think Clarke might look at the whole structure of the team soon. There are players involved that bar one or two games really have shown nothing at international level.

Tom Cairney ran the show for Fulham last night but I think his chance has passed.

What chance has cairney had? 45 mins v costa rica out of position or vs canada where he was by far our best player. Based on how mcgregor and co are doing i think he should be one of the first names in the next team sheet

Just now, jamboman said:

What chance has cairney had? 45 mins v costa rica out of position or vs canada where he was by far our best player. Based on how mcgregor and co are doing i think he should be one of the first names in the next team sheet

He's had no chance. His chance to have chance has passed you dont start bringing players of his age into the set up.