Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Snodgrass was one of our main men a few years ago but I wouldn't start him now. He's not pacy out wide like fraser/forrest and we have far more options in the number 10 role now. 

Would still be good bench option, either 1-0 up and you need hard worker to come on to grind out a win (probably unlikely with next few opponents mind!).

He started for West Ham so clearly very much in their plans even if he probably won't feature as much as last season.

Clean slate under Clarke so would call him up.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

For all players their peak is probably between 25-30.  That's where the balance lies between experience and fitness.   Players don't go from being bang average to world beaters though.  It's a general progression.

The reason why players don't tend to step up until their mid-twenties either at club or international level is that when they are say 23 - unless they are an exceptional talent - there is probably someone at 28 in their position.  When they become 25, that other player is 30 and over the previous couple of seasons has been replaced by the - now - 25 year old.   People often use Colin Hendry as an example as he wasn't capped until he was something like 26 or 27.   Colin Hendry was probably good enough to play for Scotland when he was 22, the reason he didn't was that we had Richard Gough, Alex McLeish, Alan McLaren, Dave McPherson and Craig Levein in front of him.

We do have other options at centre back - they aren't particularly good tbf - but I never buy the argument that we should select player 'X' because player 'Y' - who is currently in the squad *isn't any better*.   If they are demonstrably better then so be it.   It's worth going with the younger guys in the hope that they get better and will benefit from the experience, they might and that's where we were with Grant Hanley 5-6 years ago.

Lets face it, this is all off the back of Norwich beating Newcastle - who have to stand a very good chance of being relegated this season.

The reason why Colin hendry never played until he was 27 was because there were more experienced options at centre back (a position which managers understand that experience is more important)available. All players don't peak between 25 and 30. Centre backs usually take an extra couple of years to hit peak due to it being a position that relies on reading the game and that can only come through matches. Personally I agree with you we should probably stick with our younger options like McKenna and souttar but if Hanley does play well this season then he should be brought back into the squad as we will always need back up.

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

For all players their peak is probably between 25-30.  That's where the balance lies between experience and fitness.   Players don't go from being bang average to world beaters though.  It's a general progression.

The reason why players don't tend to step up until their mid-twenties either at club or international level is that when they are say 23 - unless they are an exceptional talent - there is probably someone at 28 in their position.  When they become 25, that other player is 30 and over the previous couple of seasons has been replaced by the - now - 25 year old.   People often use Colin Hendry as an example as he wasn't capped until he was something like 26 or 27.   Colin Hendry was probably good enough to play for Scotland when he was 22, the reason he didn't was that we had Richard Gough, Alex McLeish, Alan McLaren, Dave McPherson and Craig Levein in front of him.

We do have other options at centre back - they aren't particularly good tbf - but I never buy the argument that we should select player 'X' because player 'Y' - who is currently in the squad *isn't any better*.   If they are demonstrably better then so be it.   It's worth going with the younger guys in the hope that they get better and will benefit from the experience, they might and that's where we were with Grant Hanley 5-6 years ago.

Lets face it, this is all off the back of Norwich beating Newcastle - who have to stand a very good chance of being relegated this season.

I never said a player will go from being bang average til being a world beater tbf. I pointed out that alot of epl centre backs spend their early twenties in the championship learning and getting experience before they step up a level to epl. 

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Snodgrass was one of our main men a few years ago but I wouldn't start him now. He's not pacy out wide like fraser/forrest and we have far more options in the number 10 role now. 

Yeah probably wouldn't start, but would be good to have on the bench, and and as I've said before I think he's a cracking guy to have at the camp and in the dressing room when it comes to team morale. 

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I never said a player will go from being bang average til being a world beater tbf. I pointed out that alot of epl centre backs spend their early twenties in the championship learning and getting experience before they step up a level to epl. 

And you would be right but Grant Hanley isn't one of them

9 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Funny how David Turnbull was apparently making a great move but Hastie has “fucked his career” no agenda there at all.

Hastie will get games, he started the first europa league qualifier and looked a bit overwhelmed tbh and other wingers performed when he lost his place. 

He’ll probably play tomorrow and given a potential 60 game plus season he’ll end up playing a good number of games.

He’s incredibly raw and all of his reputation is based on a good 10 game spell with Motherwell.

But there’s good attributes there and Rangers will improve him, if he plays regularly in that Rangers team this season he’ll be at a level where he should be in Scotland squads every time, that’s the level now.

When did I say Turnbull was making a great move ya halfwit

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm clinging to the hope we find a defender from somewhere mate, whether that's hanley becoming alex mcleish or the emergence of a youngster, I'm clinging to it.😂😂

A striker would be nice too

If you want to keep an eye on a youngster, Tom McIntyre is on the bench for Reading today.

48 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Would still be good bench option, either 1-0 up and you need hard worker to come on to grind out a win (probably unlikely with next few opponents mind!).

He started for West Ham so clearly very much in their plans even if he probably won't feature as much as last season.

Clean slate under Clarke so would call him up.

Yeah defo a good option for us if we have any injuries. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

If you want to keep an eye on a youngster, Tom McIntyre is on the bench for Reading today.

Callum Paterson has come on at half time, Think this his first game back after we crocked him. Sorry he did play last week so must have been dropped this week. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

16 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

He is up there...... can still be a bit rash though. That’s why experience is so important in his position. 

Yeah. I'd definitely go with that. When I think of him I think of rashness. With the more experience he gets under his belt he'll learn to be a wee bit more patient... here's hoping.

On a purely defensive stand-point I'd say that he's by far the best defender we have. 

We're so bereft of top class defenders we're crying out for one to emerge.

3 hours ago, noctonjock said:

After watching MOTD  I wouldn't be in a hurry to give Hanley a recall to the squad .   He totally missed the flight of the ball on one cross almost resulting in a goal for Newcastle . Also it was too easy for the Newcastle player to score his goal with Hanley doing nothing to close him down . Not sure how he is captain of Norwich . I think we have better options in central defence to be honest . Only my opinion mind 

Not having a go at you but the world in general when it comes to assessing defenders. Based on edited highlight that include goals and close efforts it is bound to highlight defensive errors or the appearance of not being up to required standard. If you had a pound for every time you heard the old we let in a soft goal cliche you would be a rich man. Every goal everywhere is a defenders fault.

A TV show containing only well defended corners, good closing down, availability for the ball and whatever else the mainstays of being a good defender are would be pretty boring.

The only people who can judge defenders are ones that watch all their games, train with them  or coach them.

Having said all that, I wouldn't jump in front of a bus to get him into the next squad either But I don't think many would say that McKenna, Bates Souttar etc have improved over the last two or three years which leaves us in the position of having to take him into account.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:12 PM, aaid said:

Reading are my local side which I've never went to see. I can never find the time even though I get loads of offers from work mates to go.

Mctominey hopefully in action tonight. 

48 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Reading are my local side which I've never went to see. I can never find the time even though I get loads of offers from work mates to go.

Mctominey hopefully in action tonight. 

Get yourself down to York Road instead.