Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There were always whispers that he was actually two or three years older than he was.

Careful, some tadger on here once inferred I was racist for mentioning that rumour. Apparently it always gets said about African players, which was news to me.

I thought he looked the real deal the first time I saw him play; our under-21s played England's in a friendly and got completely humped but he looked the one Scotland player who might have stood a chance of making their squad.

He didn't appear any older than he claimed to be compared to the other lads (although that was possibly because he was the height of nothing), but the way his career hit a dead end makes me wonder. Alternatively, perhaps he just didn't pay enough attention to what his coaches were telling him and so didn't progress.

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Careful, some tadger on here once inferred I was racist for mentioning that rumour. Apparently it always gets said about African players, which was news to me.

I thought he looked the real deal the first time I saw him play; our under-21s played England's in a friendly and got completely humped but he looked the one Scotland player who might have stood a chance of making their squad.

He didn't appear any older than he claimed to be compared to the other lads (although that was possibly because he was the height of nothing), but the way his career hit a dead end makes me wonder. Alternatively, perhaps he just didn't pay enough attention to what his coaches were telling him and so didn't progress.

Would be interesting to see how the rest of those squads did get on

Fraser Fyvie was another from around that 2010 period. Don't know how highly people were rating him at that time but did well enough to get 500k move to Wigan in 2012. Only played once for them that season but was unused sub in their FA cup final win.

Only really played at championship level since coming back for Hibs and Dundee United.

Edit: At that time Martinez liked scouting the SPL lower reaches, signed James McArthur and McCarthy from Hamilton in 2009 and both have had good premier league careers so was hoping Fyvie could've made similar impact perhaps.

Edited by Tartan Chris

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would be interesting to see how the rest of those squads did get on

Off the top of my head, as well as Feruz I can remember Stuart Armstrong and Stuart Bannigan playing for us (I think it was Bannigan's only under-21s appearance) and Jordan Archer was in goal (probably). Raheem Sterling, who'd just broken into the Liverpool team, was playing for England.

That kind of sums up the gulf in class between the two sides!

The Scotland team that day was 

Jordan Archer
Clark Robertson
Brad McKay
Kevin McHattie
Ryan Jack
Fraser Fyvie
Stuart Armstrong
Dylan McGeouch
Stuart Bannigan
Islam Feruz
Tony Watt

Subs
Chris Kettings, Jack Hamilton, Stuart Findlay, Kieran Duffie, David Smith, Lewis MacLeod, Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, Stevie May

England had the likes of Jack Butland, Michael Keane, John Stones, Raheem Sterling and on the bench players like Jesse Lingard and some lad called Harry Kane.

7 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Jordan Archer
Clark Robertson
Brad McKay
Kevin McHattie
Ryan Jack
Fraser Fyvie
Stuart Armstrong
Dylan McGeouch
Stuart Bannigan
Islam Feruz
Tony Watt

Subs
Chris Kettings, Jack Hamilton, Stuart Findlay, Kieran Duffie, David Smith, Lewis MacLeod, Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, Stevie May

England had the likes of Jack Butland, Michael Keane, John Stones, Raheem Sterling and on the bench players like Jesse Lingard and some lad called Harry Kane.

So that's Jordan Archer, Ryan Jack, Stuart Armstrong, Dylan McGeouch, Tony Watt & Stevie May who all subsequently got senior caps.

Chris Kettings and Fraser Fyvie are both now playing non-league football.

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

So that's Jordan Archer, Ryan Jack, Stuart Armstrong, Dylan McGeouch, Tony Watt & Stevie May who all subsequently got senior caps.

Chris Kettings and Fraser Fyvie are both now playing non-league football.

Who is Fyvie playing for now?  I thought he was going to Cove but it seems maybe not.

47 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Jordan Archer
Clark Robertson
Brad McKay
Kevin McHattie
Ryan Jack
Fraser Fyvie
Stuart Armstrong
Dylan McGeouch
Stuart Bannigan
Islam Feruz
Tony Watt

Subs

England U21: Butland, Stones, Wisdom (Thorpe 72), Keane, Robinson, Shelvey (Carroll 58), Chalobah (Barkley 44), Hughes (Dier 72), Redmond (Lingard 65), Wickham (H Kane 57), Sterling (Ameobi 65). Subs not used: Johnstone, T Kane, Garbutt, Berahino, Long, Bond.

Scotland U21: Archer, Jack (Duffie 46), McHattie, Robertson, McKay, Fyvie, McGeouch, Bannigan (Macleod 78), Armstrong (Smith 62), Feruz (May 62), Watt (Holt 72). Subs Not Used: Kettings, Findlay, Walker, Hamilton.

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

Who is Fyvie playing for now?  I thought he was going to Cove but it seems maybe not.

I thought he had signed for a Highland League team but a google says I am wrong and that he is a free agent.

With the injuries Fyvie's had perhaps he's considering quitting fitba ?

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Karlan Grant up front for Huddersfield against Fulham tonight, 2 goals in two games this season and  and 4 in 9 starts in EPL last year for the worst team in the league.

That probably makes him our best forward, if Clarke gets in touch.

Have the changes for what he got arrested in Ibiza for last year been dropped?

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

McGinn playing pretty well.

Been watching the game, and you're right.

Did you see him do his usual though? Lost the ball by trying to take on a man when he should have passed it. Resulted in a Bournemouth counter attack where they were 2 on 1, and they should have scored from it.

He seems to do this almost every game he plays in.