Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Celtic making an absolute rip roarer of it here ;)

:lol:  I did have £20 of Draw or Win for Cluj. Only won a few £, but every little helps.

I didn't have the conviction of betting for a Cluj win. Too bad, too, as I think the odds were 2.15

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

About 1% of me wanted to see the scottish players in the CL but then I thought feck it, the better players will move on eventually anyway like Tierney 

I wanted them to win... then the Green Brigade unleashed the "...Keeping us down" banner. 

That was my good will over.

The Green Brigade will probably blame UEFA for keeping them down now.

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Lennon got it wrong from the start with McGregor at LB. He's not a LB and it weakens our midfield. 

Bain and the defence was poor tonight. 3 home goals should have saw us safely through.

Morgan is awful. Even worse than Hayes. 

:wtf:

To score 3 goals at home in a Champions League qualifier and still end up losing is embarrassing. Plain and simple.

The fact that Celtic will probably win our top league - again - and deliver a good few skelpings themselves along the way compounds things even more.

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

About 1% of me wanted to see the scottish players in the CL but then I thought feck it, the better players will move on eventually anyway like Tierney 

All the players in the spl over the age of 24 are rubbish, that's why they are still there. 

Hopefully put a team of Anglos out for the Russia game

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

To score 3 goals at home in a Champions League qualifier and still end up losing is embarrassing. Plain and simple.

The fact that Celtic will probably win our top league - again - and deliver a good few skelpings themselves along the way compounds things even more.

Celtic had a favourable draw, well as favourable as you can get in a rigged competition. They should be through but they've got a shaved ape as manager.

In saying that, our league is getting worse, it.wont be long till.we are like the so called lesser leagues in europe, there'll be fuck all players in scotland picked for the national side, like ireland and wales.

18 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Celtic will not win the league.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Celtic had a favourable draw, well as favourable as you can get in a rigged competition. They should be through but they've got a shaved ape as manager.

In saying that, our league is getting worse, it.wont be long till.we are like the so called lesser leagues in europe, there'll be fuck all players in scotland picked for the national side, like ireland and wales.

Undoubtedly. It wasn't all that long ago that Scotland had two representatives in the Champions League group stages, now even one team qualifying is starting to look beyond us.

Christ, this is a club that has won domestic trebles three seasons in a row (and I wouldn't bet against them doing it again) and they can't even beat a workmanlike Romanian team at home. Our league is devaluing at Papiermark proportions!

'Shaved ape' made me smile though. :lol:

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Clarke did the right thing bringing David Marshall back into the squad. Scott Bain is a bottle merchant.

Look up 'second-choice goalie' in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of Scott Bain.

Honestly, I never thought second choice goalkeeper was something it was possible to look like, but there's just something about Scott Bain that screams 'hello world, I'm a second choice goalkeeper'! :lol:

I reckon Craig Gordon will replace him in the Celtic team before too long too.

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Celtic will not win the league.

I wouldn't be too sure. Rangers have improved but I don't think they're quite there yet, and I can't see anyone else challenging this season. But time will tell.

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Bily Gilmour travelled to Turkey with Chelsea for tonights Super Cup Final.

He was with the first team squad for pre-season as well.   I wouldn't read too much into it - after all Islam Feruz did similar around the same age - but it does mean that they are happy with his progress at this point.

53 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Bily Gilmour travelled to Turkey with Chelsea for tonights Super Cup Final.

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gets to train with the first team and impress his manager. A good sign.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

He was with the first team squad for pre-season as well.   I wouldn't read too much into it - after all Islam Feruz did similar around the same age - but it does mean that they are happy with his progress at this point.

He will have more opportunities than Feruz because Chelsea can't sign anyone, They are being forced to use youth players which is great news for Gilmour. I hope he grasps his chance

Just now, vanderark14 said:

He will have more opportunities than Feruz because Chelsea can't sign anyone, They are being forced to use youth players which is great news for Gilmour. I hope he grasps his chance

There's quite a few in the queue ahead of him.   I'm not saying this isn't encouraging, I'm just saying don't read too much into in terms of him getting anywhere near the first team any time soon.

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

There's quite a few in the queue ahead of him.   I'm not saying this isn't encouraging, I'm just saying don't read too much into in terms of him getting anywhere near the first team any time soon.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say he'll make his first team debut this season at some point.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say he'll make his first team debut this season at some point.

You may well be correct on that but again that doesn't mean he'll be anywhere near playing regularly for a couple of years.

The way Chelsea tend to work is that they'll put most of their players out on loan when they get to 18 or 19 years old.   Gilmour was promoted to the U23s last season, he was still eligible for the U18s, so that's promising.  He's not on loan and is listed as an academy player.   The players who go out on loan basically fall into two categories.  Those on contract but who they've already made their minds up aren't going to be good enough and those they think have a chance and are looking for a loan spell for them to develop.

Gilmour, I suspect at the moment falls into a category which is they think he has a future but isn't ready to go out on loan yet.   He might go out on a half-season loan in January or maybe a season long loan next season.

Some of these players may make their debut from the bench in either the league or FA cups, that might happen to Gilmour.

A good example of this would be Tammy Abraham who made a couple of appearances from the bench towards the end of the 2015/16 season and then went out on loan for the next three seasons.

When people talk about Chelsea having to play their young players because of the transfer ban, it's really the likes of Abraham, Mason Mount, Izzy Brown, etc., players who are at least a couple of years older than Gilmour and have been out on loans at a reasonable level.   

There is an exception in Callum Hudson-Odoi who isn't much older than Gilmour but I think there's possibly some different circumstances there, perversely if it wasn't for the interest from Bayern Munich last summer, I think he'd have gone on loan then.

Gilmour may make his international debut before he makes his first team debut for Chelsea, that's happened before.

That said, he'll probably come off the bench tonight.

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

Gilmour's on the bench.  They have named 12 subs though. 

You can be positive sometimes mate!

Maybe I'm overly hopefull as he's a three towns lad like other greats like Lennox, Aitken, Clarke and me but I've high hopes!

Edited by Squirrelhumper