Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

No idea how good they are, and I know the Dutch team can name a lot of subs but that has got to be positive.  

Playing for Feyenoord or PSV is probably the equivalent to playing for Celtic or Rangers so it’s quite promising 

11 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I know it's been mentioned but Fletcher is getting very positive reviews at Wednesday. Was looking through their fans forum for info on Bates and came across this:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/284168-steven-fletcher/

Encouraging as he is currently still our best CF. However, has it been clarified that he has not done an Allan McGregor on us?

On 8/10/2019 at 5:35 PM, Malcolm said:

Kieran tierney will be our right back.  Can’t leave a 25m player on the bench.

Why not? When we had Gordon and McGregor at their peak competing I don't remember anyone screaming for both to be included, so why would it be different for outfield players? I can go back when folk wondered how we could squeeze both Bobby Murdoch and Billy Bremner into the same team; usually the world-class Murdoch got benched.

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Why not? When we had Gordon and McGregor at their peak competing I don't remember anyone screaming for both to be included, so why would it be different for outfield players?

What a very odd comparison. It is different for outfield players because they have the ability to play in more than one position. I'm sure you didn't need that explained to you though.

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Why not? When we had Gordon and McGregor at their peak competing I don't remember anyone screaming for both to be included, so why would it be different for outfield players? I can go back when folk wondered how we could squeeze both Bobby Murdoch and Billy Bremner into the same team; usually the world-class Murdoch got benched.

I think a few people are making a comparison with Jardine and McGrain, I think it was McGrain that played out of position?

If only life was that simple.

29 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think a few people are making a comparison with Jardine and McGrain, I think it was McGrain that played out of position?

If only life was that simple.

Yes, McGrain played at LB with considerably more effect than KT has hitherto shown. Even though I loved Jardine, I thought Danny at RB and Willie Donachie at LB worked better.

34 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

What a very odd comparison. It is different for outfield players because they have the ability to play in more than one position. I'm sure you didn't need that explained to you though.

There were some who wanted them to be alternated, like England did with Shilton/Clemence: but that brings with it dangers, as goalies need to build an understanding with their CB's. Point I was making is that sometimes you just have to make a decision and stick to it.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

There were some who wanted them to be alternated, like England did with Shilton/Clemence: but that brings with it dangers, as goalies need to build an understanding with their CB's. Point I was making is that sometimes you just have to make a decision and stick to it.

If we had a solid range of defenders I'd probably agree with you. Tierney could fill in at RB or CB and not look out of place so it seems daft not to play them both when the opportunity arises.

Just wanted to say credit to McGinn.
I'm not his biggest fan, given his defensive frailties, but going forward against spurs he was a standout for Villa.

Took his goal well, Rose helped him out, but he was still calm enough to make the most of it.
Played a beautiful defense splitting pass that deserved a finish at the end of it.
And should have had a pen, cast iron.. no idea how that wasn't given with VAR (having video is great, but if you've got chumps watching it then its useless).

So all round a great performance by the guy. Hope he keeps it up.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:47 PM, SteveHFC said:

To think some people have never rated McGinn. 

Not sure many didn't rate him. There were very valid questionmarks about the defensive side of his game, and his awareness and decision making in defensive areas. He's always been tenacious and capable of doing something special going forwards, and he showed that against spurs.

Spurs allowed him a lot of time on the ball in midfield, which let him pick passes, and he made those bursting runs forward that are so effective. And in general he was kept as far away from Villa's defense as possible. I don't think it's coincidence that he's the forwardmost member of Villa's midfield 3.

It's a case of letting players play to their strengths, so I'd maybe take a leaf from Villa's book, and look at McGinn as an alternative to Christie in the attacking mid role behind the striker.